Spyder Garage

Spyder trailer wiring not working.

As information: I had a Honda Gold wing that I used to tow a homemade trailer with. Now I have a 2016 RT Limited Spyder with factory BRP Trailer hitch installed. Bought an adapter for the BRP plug to a flat four wire. When I plugged everything in, the trailer lights did nothing. Long story short, Trailer used my trailer hitch ball as a ground but now didn't on the BRP hitch. Closer inspection of the trailer hitch looked like it had been dipped in a plastic coating and I suspect that is why the ball wasn't grounding the trailer. My solution is to run a ground wire from the trailer hitch bolt to a bolt on the trailer tongue. The trailer lights all work now.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nightcruiser View Post
    As information: I had a Honda Gold wing that I used to tow a homemade trailer with. Now I have a 2016 RT Limited Spyder with factory BRP Trailer hitch installed. Bought an adapter for the BRP plug to a flat four wire. When I plugged everything in, the trailer lights did nothing. Long story short, Trailer used my trailer hitch ball as a ground but now didn't on the BRP hitch. Closer inspection of the trailer hitch looked like it had been dipped in a plastic coating and I suspect that is why the ball wasn't grounding the trailer. My solution is to run a ground wire from the trailer hitch bolt to a bolt on the trailer tongue. The trailer lights all work now.
    One of the wires in the Spyder pigtail is a ground wire. The ground from the lights should go to the matching pin on the trailer pigtail. Did you by chance have it set up with your GW to have separate turn and brake lights on the trailer? The Spyder 4 wire connector is for combined brake/turn lights.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

An independent ground is good on any trailer

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You dont want to use ground on the hitch ball. Like said use a independent ground or you could cause the module to fail. Your choice good luck