Spyder Garage

Question No brake lights (not the fuse)?

Brake lights were working until I plugged in the trailer, now they don't.
    Running lights, hazards, and turn signals work all work on the trailer and on the bike when connected and not connected.
    I am using the RT harness (square plug) and the trailer has all LED bulbs.

Before I go tearing apart the Spyder I wanted to ask the experts what your opinions are.
    Thanks in advance.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

And, is this the very first time this trailer has been plugged in, or has this all worked before.

I would have to ask if you actually removed the fuse and checked it, or just gave it a visual. Sometimes, it is not clear that those fuses have blown just by looking. I know that you said your hazards work, and some trailer lights, but still, I would start by removing and testing F2 and F4 in the right fuse box before I tore into it.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Yes the first time I have plugged it into the Spyder. It has been towed with a car successfully.
    I did pull the fuse and tested with emergency flashers (same fuse).

Ask me about my Spyder.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What fuse did you check, the brake light circuit? If so, that does not feed the trailer. Is there a fuse in F4, right fuse box? That feeds power to the trailer lights. If it is there and good then you'll need to start doing some more trouble shooting. All the trailer lights are fed from a battery feed through relays in the wiring isolator. You might have a break in the brake light circuit, either between the bike harness and the isolator, or between the isolator and trailer lights.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Any additional farkle lights?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

You also need to verify the pinout of the trailer matches your harness. You can get a harness tester at any shop or Harbor Freight. It has LEDs. That will tell you if you have power. If so might be a BRP interface toasted. They are known to fail.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you UNPLUG the trailer, do the brake lights then work with it disconnected ??

If NOT, forget the trailer and troubleshoot the brake light failure on the Spyder.

Sometimes coincidences can drive you nuts.

Spyder Garage

Friday I had a test ride and I did some breaking under normal conditions around my neighborhood.
    The Spyder freaked out and went into limp mode and the Spyder was grounded for the holiday.
    Tonight I am tracing wires, but I think this could be a simple break light switch gone bad? Haven't got there yet but with the recent error it seems plausible. Thoughts?

Ask me about my Spyder.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    Friday I had a test ride and I did some breaking under normal conditions around my neighborhood.
    The Spyder freaked out and went into limp mode and the Spyder was grounded for the holiday.
    Tonight I am tracing wires, but I think this could be a simple break light switch gone bad? Haven't got there yet but with the recent error it seems plausible. Thoughts?
    May just be dirty with crud tending to hold it closed. If it stays closed, like if you keep your foot on on the brake pedal, Nanny does get upset. Make sure everything around the switch is clean and it's working properly.

You did check to make sure fluid level is correct, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

So this is new information. So ignore my advice I gave you on facebook because it no longer matches your symtoms.

To be clear the hazard lights work. So that just leaves the brake light switch or wiring. I would bet on the brake light switch. So first thing to do is take a look at it. Could be a simple as small rock or mud stuck in it. Not letting the switch close. If nothing visually wrong with the switch. Get a multimeter and test it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Final update and resolution: Before I had a chance to further diagnose anything the brake lights just started working again. I used some compressed air and cleaned the switch. I will still be getting a trailer light tester to make sure my wiring is ok before I attempt another hookup and I am calling the dealer to see how much it will be to have them do a BUDS reading just to make sure there are no outstanding issues.

Ask me about my Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    I used some compressed air and cleaned the switch.
    You might want to inquire about the price of a new switch too.
    And if the trigger point is adjustable, might want to check that too......to be sure it isn't right on the ragged edge.