Spyder Garage

Default Trailer wire harness for RT

Hello, Been working on getting a camping trailer and finally decided on one and ordered it. At the same time I ordered a trailer hitch and wire harness from Pierre at Can Am Spyder Accessories. While I am waiting for things to arrive I noticed the wire harness from Pierre is a 4 pin flat and the trailer has amber blinker lights so it is a 5 pin flat. Before things arrive I'm trying to figure out what I will need to do and looking for advice.

1) I think I could still use Pierre's harness and rewire the trailer plug? The amber lights would not longer work but this might cause issues when getting inspected.

2) ShowChrome has a 5 pin harness that is isolated from the bike. Looks like it's plug and play at the tail lights and power comes from the battery. This might be the best option.

3) Back in the old days, before all of this computer crap, I used to simply splice into the tail lights to make a trailer plug. Has anyone done this with a Spyder? I'm sure there would be issues with doing this but not sure what would happen.

4) Any other options?

Thanks
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes #3. - I did on my 08 GS a 2011 RSS and a 2014 RT, they worked as designed …. never had any issues ……. I have pics in one of my albums ( under seat access panel - click the pic for the written explanation ) .. on how to put in an access panel ( for the rear wiring harness ) in the large plastic panel under the seat …… If I wanr / need to get to the harness connections I just remove the small panel …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Pierres trailer harness is not power isolated. So it's like splicing directly into the wires anyway. So the risk of hyper flash, which is inconvenient. If a short happens on the trailer. The fuses blow on the Spyder. Losing your lights on the Spyder and can cause limp home mode or brake failure message. If it happens to be the brake light fuse.

If you are good at wiring. You could buy the Y harness from BRP. Available in the accessories catalog. That will give you. Running/tail, brake, right turn, left turn, right turn, ground and 10 amp circuit for power isolation. Install your own isolator and wires to trailer to it.

There are lots of other options depending on your skill level.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Show Chrome harness would be a good way to go.

Nix on splicing into the bike harness. Reason being the turn signal wires come from the cluster with no fuse protection between the cluster and lights. If you have a short in the trailer turn signal circuit we have no idea what it could do to the cluster. Maybe nothing, but also maybe blow out an $800 part! Use the isolator!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I used the show chrome. It isolates all the load from the lights. Remember Nanny monitors the current of the bulbs to detect shorts/blown/etc. With it isolated you can use & add all the LED's and lighting you want in & on the trailer. Isolated means that a relay takes a teeny draw from the bulb circuits to click a relay on. The power comes from the battery (you run wires to it).

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Show chrome harness.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited