Spyder Garage

Default Latest TST for Belt Tensions- Where to see it?

All,

Reading the threads from 2012 to now, see a trend of continuously lowering belt tensions for all models. Most people reference a TST from 2015(? I think), but I can't seem to find anything specific to the models after 2015. I don't think the driveline has changed, so it may be the same.

I'm chasing vibration. My 2018 RTL came from the dealer with over 220 lbs of Krikit tension with the wheel lifted, and had a teeth rattling vibration about the 70 MPH mark. Lowered it to around 160 lbs, seemed to help. Replaced the rear wheel, been chasing the vibration unicorn ever since. Seems like the lower I go, the better it gets.

So the question is, what is the lowest published number you can use? I've seen as low as 530N/119 Lbs with the tolerance used all up. Is that a reasonable number to use with it set in the air? I know BRP says absolutely no damage in occurring, but having my share of Harley miles I can assure you vibration is bad, it brakes stuff.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think BAJA Ron did a Thread on that subject ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I checked the belt tension on my 2019 F3 Ltd (on the ground with a Krikit), 160-170. If there's any vibes they're very minor. Fairly smooth throughout the RPM ranges that I drive in.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Mine had a bad vibration ,lowered to 160 ( off the ground ) and added the BRP damper .Bike is fine now ,may try with no damper when i change the rear tire .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I just picked up my New F3 Limited yesterday. I was all smiles until I hit the freeway. Then toe numbing vibration from 64-77 MPH. I had fixed this on my 2015 RT-L. I though BRP had already fixed it on the F3.
    I had a couple of 2500 mile trips planed, now not looking forward to them.

You know the story of buyers remorse......put me in the fetal position.

Spyder Garage

What I'm looking for is a scan of TST61Y014S05_en. I've seen the screen shots and data, but I'd like it scanned in .pdf format so I can take it to the dealer for my 3000 mile first visit, I don't want to go in with a smooth running Spyder and come out with 225-245 Lbs of belt tension, vibrating like crazy (again).

During my time in industry, I learned there are a series of ball bearings used that the more radial load that was applied to the bearing, the more axial load it could resist. Not sure if our single roller and double roller hub bearings fall in this category, but that and vibration would be the only reason to run anything over the minimal belt tension to keep the belt in the cogs, as far as equipment longevity is concerned.

During my chase for the elusive smooth ride, I've went from the belt so tight (factory) at ±220 lbs that it had the engine cocked over, belt rubbing on the back right and front left flanges, all the way through the spectrum to now the absolute minimum spec of 120 lbs, flange adjustments all the way from almost no visible clearance to about 3mm flange clearance.

The flange clearance didn't seem to make any difference, but the lower I got in tension the slower/softer the frequency of the vibration became. At the highest tension it was a very unpleasant vibration in the bars and floorboards, at the lowest it was a kind of fluttering in the same places. I did notice that when I unloaded the belt the alignment corrected itself, the belt ran off the front left flange in all rear flange clearances (within reason). the vibration only happens at very specific load and road conditions, the lower I set the tension the lower the speed.

My quest for smoothness has led me down the path to emptying my wallet. Replaced the tires with Vredesteins, static balanced (Done), Doc Humphreys belt tensioner (arriving today), and Centramatic wheel balancers (Tuesday). If this thing gets continuously as smooth as I've seen it at specific speeds on smooth road, then is should become an unlimited mileage machine.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

2016RTS here. Same vibrations, about 180lbs on belt. Installed Doc Humpries kit (very easy!!) no more chattering teeth at 73mph! It is a really long belt and not much can be done about the usually two speeds that it will vibrate on many of them. One is like 73ish the other is lower, I don't remember now. IMHO BRP kept ramping up the tension trying to get the vibrations down. After all they offer their OWN belt tensioner, so they are aware of the problem!! Why they didn't just make it standard is beyond me. Unless they didn't trust it over the long haul, I have read many failed. Doc's is bullet proof so far with over 30K miles on it for me. Super nice double ball bearings, really built well.