Thread: Brakes

Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

I need some help with a brake issue. I recently bought EBC brake pads and rotors for my 2015 RT limited. I replaced them yesterday, everything went smooth with changing them. On the first ride the pedal was really soft. after pumping them they got better. They are working fine but if I am going over about 25 mph and apply the brakes they are making a noise. It does not make this noise at lower speeds.

My question is, does the new rotors require a break in period or is it that something is not seated right?
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ron recommends chamfering ( beveling ) the front and rear of all the pads just a bit ….. also cutting a diagonal line in the pads helps with dust and water removal ….. lastly did you follow the Break-in procedure ? ? ? …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Default There is....

You do need to seat the pads. You can check with BajaRon a sponsor vendor here (home page link) who can get you instructions on that proceedure. I believe you should run a series of fast stopping from 60mph not stopping and get the pad good and hot and then roll on to cool them off. BajaRon is the go to guy when it comes to EBC braking supplies.... He may also recommend rounding off all sharp edges depending on the type of pads you installed and maybe a groove as well....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Did you clean the new rotor thoroughly? Rotors come from the factory with a protective film that has to be cleaned off before installation.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Did you clean the rotor(s) as KX posted? Did you buy the pads and rotors from Bajaron? If so did you follow his very complete instructions to the letter? Did you check the pedal travel after you replaced the front pads and again after you changed the rear pads? Did you check the brake fluid level in both portions of the master cylinder reservoir and top off if necessary? Did you test the brake pedal travel and ensure it was firm BEFORE you turned on the ignition after the pad/rotor change? Did you do 4-6 "panic" slow downs (as Ron recommends) to bed the pads? If you did everything according to the instructions your first stop when you took the Spyder out to bed the pads would have been a firm pedal that stopped the bike. Then, once you bedded the pads and rode 5 or so miles to allow them to cool you would have discovered you had excellent brakes, better than with OEM pads. If not, go back and correct what you missed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

+1 on cleaning the discs with brake cleaner or alcohol. Also place a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and stroke the pads on it a few times and clean the dust off prior to installing.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think I know what you are talking about. It is not a squeal like they need to be seated, but almost like a buzz, not loud but there. I told my wife the cicadas are out every time I hit the brakes, thousands of miles later mine are still doing it.
    Wouldn't trade those pads for any others for stopping though!!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The "buzz" type of noise is due to the hole size, quantity and pattern of drilling on the rotors. Not a detriment or defect in any way.... You should have heard the BrakeTech rotors "sing" on my Ducati! They were awesome!

btt-31.kc.sm.jpg

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The procedure in the service manual states you need to have the brake system checked and bled using BUDS, which means having the dealer check it. Not sure what the reason is but I suspect it has something to do with making sure the ABS system is properly calibrated with Nanny. Remember, in hard cornering or in case of wheel slip Nanny can set the brakes, one at a time. They are electronically controlled in addition to the pedal push. I say don't take a chance on the system not being properly tuned by skipping the BUDS check.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If one bleeds the brake system without using B.U.D.S. one cannot get fresh fluid into the ABS module. I do not remember seeing anything in my Green Manual about using B.U.D.S. after simply replacing the pads but do not have access to it right now.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If one bleeds the brake system without using B.U.D.S. one cannot get fresh fluid into the ABS module. I do not remember seeing anything in my Green Manual about using B.U.D.S. after simply replacing the pads but do not have access to it right now.
    You are correct.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I think I know what you are talking about. It is not a squeal like they need to be seated, but almost like a buzz, not loud but there. I told my wife the cicadas are out every time I hit the brakes, thousands of miles later mine are still doing it.
    Wouldn't trade those pads for any others for stopping though!!!
    That is the exact noise I am hearing
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

That sound is the holes in the discs as they pass under the pads.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Wow. I just got the brake pads from BajaRon. I had no idea anything had to be done to them before mounting. I am lucky to get someone to put them on. He is not going to do all of that. Sigh. Stuck now

Creatively,
    Shortcut
    Chrome Angelz member in Ross County, Ohio

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcut View Post
    Wow. I just got the brake pads from BajaRon. I had no idea anything had to be done to them before mounting. I am lucky to get someone to put them on. He is not going to do all of that. Sigh. Stuck now
    Some things in my EBC tip sheet are required. But many are optional.

No mater what rotor you get, you need to be sure to remove the thin film of oil left from machining. This is easily done and should not be a problem for anyone. But it must be done before the brakes are mounted. If you run your new pads on oiled rotors. The pads will soak up the oil and that is not good.

Beveling the leading edge, making a diagonal cut across the pad material and using Disk Brake Quiet are all good ideas designed to reduce the possibility of brake squeal. But certainly not necessary. Especially if you don't mind the squeal! The great majority get no squeal without doing these things. But you don't know if you will or you won't until you're all done. Then you might wish you had gone to the extra trouble when you had the system apart. Of course you can always take the brakes off again and do it then.

The 'Bedding In' process is simply designed to bring your braking system up to 100% capability in a short period of time. Racers also use these pads and they can't afford to ride around for hundreds of miles to get maximum braking. They need 100% for the next race. Hence the 'Bedding In' procedure. Another benefit of doing this is that you find out what you can expect from your Spyder in an emergency stop situation.

Some will tell you to sand the face of the pad. This is not good advice and will simply increase the time needed for bedding in to occur and reduce brake function for a longer period of time. Not to mention you will lose braking material which means you will be replacing the pads sooner.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-03-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...