Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Paying to much for Insurance?

Well since my Insurance policy is due to expire in July and i got my renewal notice for $815 for the next 6 months thats $100 more than last 6 months I decided to revisit the insurance quotes. So I called USAA (who uses progressive here) and went ahead and got a new quote from them since last year they wanted $2400 a year. Well to my suprise the same coverage I have now with State Farm for $815 per 6 months is only $827 per year with progressive now(cheaper than any other company i checked)!!!!! Needless to say it was a no brainer for me to change insurance carriers. I just hope they are as good as good as I have heard.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

I have alstate for my car and house, but their motorcycle insurance was ridiculous. I was using Pacific Specialty Insurance Group/McGraw for the Spyder and othe motorcycles for a while now. The Spyder full coverage was about 44/month. I decided to check on Alstate for my TL1000S and they have gotten fairly agressive on motorcycle insurance. My TL is about 44/month full coverage, so I switched for ease of one insurance guy.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

my insurance is coming due also...i have State Farm as well , but i pay 460 every 6 months for my Spyder ... I have no points and havn't had any for years ... I'd get a quote from every carrier , Gieco , Progressive , Farm Bureau , Nationwide , etc.

Spyder Garage

zzneonzz, Just renewed my coverage in April, with State Farm. My Premium is $327.50 per yr.
    Now I know it all depends in what area of the country your in, but .........$815.00 for six months ???
    When I first purchased it a year ago, they hadn't heard of the Spyder here, or the main office. They had to send the Home office pics, brochures, etc. three times, before State Farm would insure my Spyder. Premium stayed the same for this yr.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I pay 940 a year to AAA and pretty happy with it since I am paying 1440 for my f150.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

We have our house, cars, life with State Farm... so imagine my surprise when they quoted me $900 on the spyder.

Progressive was the cheapest with the same coverage for just over $500 for the year.

Shame really as we really have a good rate via the umbrella with State Farm, but they won't allow motorcycles under the umbrella policy - least in our state.... So I took my $$ else ware.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Try Foremost..
    they are the motorcycle insurer for HD, but more importantly they are the first to update their computer systems to recognize the Spyder as a production model, not a home-made trike. We pay less than 900 a year for a 2006 HD and 2008 Spyder.
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    Well since my Insurance policy is due to expire in July and i got my renewal notice for $815 for the next 6 months thats $100 more than last 6 months I decided to revisit the insurance quotes. So I called USAA (who uses progressive here) and went ahead and got a new quote from them since last year they wanted $2400 a year. Well to my suprise the same coverage I have now with State Farm for $815 per 6 months is only $827 per year with progressive now(cheaper than any other company i checked)!!!!! Needless to say it was a no brainer for me to change insurance carriers. I just hope they are as good as good as I have heard.

I think I pay $238/yr thru Progressive.
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

I pay $305 per year for the Spyder with Foremost.

Spyder Garage

state farm $700 and change for the year

Diggittt
    Full Moon #1176

Talon Alarm
    Trunk Spring
    Power Bus
    H.I.D. Headlights
    Kuryakyn ISO Grips
    NMN Highway Brackets
    Kuryakan Highway Pegs
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust
    BRP Sports Rack & Back Rest
    LED Fender Tips
    Ride-On
    BRP Tank Bag
    H.I.D. Fog Lights
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    GlowRyder L.E.D. W/Remote
    TricLed Fender Lights

Spyder Garage

Y'all are lucky you have options, here in bc we a very limited(only a couple). So we get it up the royal pooper.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Spyder Garage

Default I have AMFAM at $267 a year in Wisconsin

I have AMFAM at $267 a year in Wisconsin with a $150 deductible, and $300,000 under insured, $300,000 passenger $250,000 medical for passenger, and $300,000 liability along with $250,000 medical for others. You can never have to good of insurance.

Nasty thing in Wisconsin driver of motorcycle can only purchase $5,000 of medical insurance which will cost a extra $400 a year. They do not want to cover that at all. So you fall under the law of your health care provider has to pay up if you get hurt.

I do insure my two other bikes, three cars, and my home through them as well as being a customer for 20 years.

Spyder Garage

We moved to Texas from Ohio last year, and our car insurance through USAA shot up, so I wasn't surprised to find that I'd have to pay 596/yr for full coverage for the Spyder with USAA/Progressive. I checked GEICO for comparison, and the same levels of coverage were just over 1200/yr.
    Happy 2010 Orbital Blue Spyder RT-S Owner
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

State Farm here in Michigan is $850 a year. Felt bad about that until I got other quotes. Progressive wanted $2,300 and then I talked to them a bit more and the guy said he made some mistake and that it would 'only' be $1,600 a year. I told him that was about twice what I was paying.

The lizard doesn't sell MC insurance in MI, so they are not possible.

I know many that had Foremost for some crazy cheap prices but then it jumped up over $1,000 the second year.

Being a no-fault state we pay much more in MI, but there are some advantages such as lifetime healthcare for any injury sustained in an accident.

Spyder Garage

I had to look, I pay just over $700 for the year for private insurance but I have to get basic from ICBC,thats another $100 a month of driving. I insured it for 7 months on the road for a total of about $1400 for the year but if I was driving for the whole year it would be $1700. Thats with a deductable of $1000. If I wanted a lower deductable, then I would be paying alot more.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Registered Users Motorcycle Mama & Papa's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Insurance

Hi Folks,

I've been in the market for ins. I've never ridden any type of motorcycle.
    The cheapest I've been quoted is through our CSAA at $1355/yr. for the Spyder. We have our home and four vehicles with them. The other ins. companies I checked out were out of sight. I believe they put a lot of weight on how many years experience one has driving a motorcycle. The Spyder has been on my wish list the past couple of years. I've driven both the SM5 and SE5. So, I'll be making a choice soon. Thanks for all the inputl MM

Spyder Garage

Default I think the Insurance companies rate the spyder wrong

I was the first to have AMFAM Insure a Spyder so they had to have their research department do a risk assessment on the spyders estimate risk factor is how my agent explained it to me. That is why I did not receive a bill for 60 day after insuring the spyder. Then after they decided on a price they determined that was to much I guess because back came a check for $56.00 with a letter stating the same thing I read from them before that from time to time they determine you vehicle is rated at a lower risk than previously determined. They did the same thing with my 1989 Turbo Trans AM after they determine because it was a v6 engine it should be less dangerous. SHHHH 89 TTA were the fastest 0-100MPH of all the Trans produced. Now I am 35 so that is water under bridge.

What is the deal with your insurance companies guys. You need to stand up for yourself. Maybe BRP needs to step in, and have a meet, and greet with insurance companies to comfort them that this is a safe product so the confidence level on safety is know. Heck this would help in sales also if they were able to lower the insurance for their product. I know Ford did this with the Mustang a few years back to help sales.

This bike should be in the ratings of a Harley Davidson to insurance companies, and not a Ninja ZX14 level. We my all think the spyder is a lion but it is a mere house cat.
    Last edited by nater1; 06-30-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

I pay $325 a year full coverage (cause of the loan, there is no personal injury insurance on motorcycles in MN) thru geico, my local SF would not cover saying that the seat hight was too low? WTF that is who my house is thru and my car. Anyway I have had "alot" of speeding tickets but they are all 3 years old so they fall off in MN.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have gotten quotes from every insurance company out there and this was the cheapest for me. Insurance here is outragous due to high crime and so many uninsured motorists. I'm just glad the price is finally lower for the spyder then it is for my Car and Truck. I also do not have an MSF course to lower my insurance on it and had never ridden prior to the spyder. Also i'm one of the younger owners at 31
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

zzneonzz, we are the same age and I pay about $550 with Foremost. It is however my first bike and I have a few ::cough:: tickets ::cough::!

Strangely enough, when I called my statefarm agent, he told me they don't insure spyders yet. I even told him I knew a few with SF insurance!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    zzneonzz, we are the same age and I pay about $550 with Foremost. It is however my first bike and I have a few ::cough:: tickets ::cough::!

Strangely enough, when I called my statefarm agent, he told me they don't insure spyders yet. I even told him I knew a few with SF insurance!!
    Formost wanted $1600 a year to cover me with the spyder. And i have no tickets/accidents on my driving record.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Spyder Garage

I have progressive and my renewel actually went down from my first year. I pay like 400 something a year

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by csmead View Post
    We pay less than 900 a year for a 2006 HD and 2008 Spyder.
    We pay the same through Progressive for a 2008 Spyder and a 2000 BMW R1100RT.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Check with Foremost!! We pay $681.00 annually, on a 2007 Honda VTX/1800 and a 2009 GE5 Spyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default insurance

I've had GEICO since "79". I pay right at $1100 a year for both my 07 GL1800 and the 09 Spyder