Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake lock for 2011 rss?

Hi I'm new here and to the spyder but not new to forums.So before I post this question I did some research and I couldn't find anything. I just got my 2011 can am spyder rss. Is there a way to lock the parking brake in other words a way to secure so no one roles away with my bike?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Juejue

Spyder Garage

Sorry Juejue, any discussion about a lock for the parking brake here on SpyderLovers is probably gonna be about the Rykers & their Park brake, where the 'Rest of the World' gets a very basic & flimsy Park Brake Lock that can be purchased separately & installed on a NortAmerican delivered Ryker that didn't come with that feature!

Back when the RSS's were the go-to sporty model, very few bikes even had parking brakes, let alone a lock for said brake!! BRP was simply following the example set by the rest of the motor-cycling world - none of the Spyders had a 'lock' as such for their park brake, altho some of the RT's did have a switch for the park brake solenoid that could be electrically isolated.

A lot of this 'bells & whistles' stuff on our Spyder's is waaay beyond what similarly priced/spec'ced Motor-cycles have at all, so it really is a 'first world problem' to worry too much about parking brake locks (& accurate fuel gauges/low fuel warning lights etc )! Regardless, as has been pointed out by Nico in his 'Security' thread, much of the 'not quite so straight forward' starting process for our Spyders is a pretty good security feature anyway! And if someone who REALLY wants your Spyder on a Saturday night five-finger discount basis rocks up with a flat bed, a plasma cutting torch, & a hoist/winch, there ain't really all that much in the way of locks or immobilising security devices that's gonna stop them taking it, is there?! That's what hidden tracking devices & insurance policies are all about!

But welcome to this Forum & to the wonderful world Spyders & their 'Miles of Smiles'!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2019 at 02:56 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

After reading your post makes alot of sense. I'm just new to the spyder world and I wouldn't want anyone to run off with mines but ur right kudos to the thief that drives around with a flat bed... �� And thank you for welcoming me.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Juejue97 View Post
    After reading your post makes alot of sense. I'm just new to the spyder world and I wouldn't want anyone to run off with mines but ur right kudos to the thief that drives around with a flat bed... �� And thank you for welcoming me.
    I had a 2012 RSS, and have also looked at the rykers and thought the same as you. Someone can steal those things. But your best bet is to lock the steering column. That will detour them more than just a parking brake. Welcome and good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

There are some disc locks that will keep your spyder from being rolled off. They are problimatical as one might forget they are there and try to ryde off and cause damage to the disc and or caliper. Some come with a safety lanyard so this will not happen. Otherwise you could make your own if you are so inclined....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your replies I have a few ideas for securing my spyder and not having anyone crawl away with it. I also looked into wheel locks as well.

Spyder Garage

The thing that worries me with my SE5 is if I park on a slope with the park brake on and steering locked - if some idiot unlocks the brake the thing will roll away !!!
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    The thing that worries me with my SE5 is if I park on a slope with the park brake on and steering locked - if some idiot unlocks the brake the thing will roll away !!!
    That's what I'm also afraid of some interested person getting on my bike and hitting th e parking brake by accident.

Spyder Garage

Default Not to worry...

As most of you ryde the SE model you do not have an issue as you can not release the park brake without turning on the ignition. For those of us that have manual and the foot park brake it is a different story. We can leave it in gear and it will not roll away but the SE if left without the park brake on will roll away no matter if it is in gear or not...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    As most of you ryde the SE model you do not have an issue as you can not release the park brake without turning on the ignition. For those of us that have manual and the foot park brake it is a different story. We can leave it in gear and it will not roll away but the SE if left without the park brake on will roll away no matter if it is in gear or not...
    Are you sure as I release my brake all the time to move the bike around the garage!!!!

Spyder Garage

All the *older* RS/GS have the manual parking brake I have two SE5 (2008 GS) and they have manual parking brake. A couple years later they added the electric brake - around 2010 or 2011 I think?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    All the *older* RS/GS have the manual parking brake I have two SE5 (2008 GS) and they have manual parking brake. A couple years later they added the electric brake - around 2010 or 2011 I think?
    Yep that is what worries me when parking