Spyder Garage

Default 18 f3t front brake balance

2018 F3T. Pulling to the right badly when braking, heavy or light, fast or slow. It's been doing this for quite a while. 6200 miles now. I jacked up each side and both wheels spin freely. I took a ride for a few miles, found an up hill grade so I could coast to a stop without braking. Felt rotors, both cool. Then the fun started. Drove down a long hill and did a long lazy stop. left side was warm, right side burnt me a blister. I don't know if the right is over zealous or the left is lazy but the balance is way way off. Appoint may 29 at my dealer for a look see. Til then, any ideas?
    Steve
    Johnson City Tn

Spyder Garage

Check the brake pads. Could be uneven wear. Check that the pistons are free in the bores. Sometimes the some of the pistons will get canted in the bore and not operate freely. Most likely the problem is at the calipers rather than in the lines or master cylinder.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Check the brake pads. Could be uneven wear. Check that the pistons are free in the bores. Sometimes the some of the pistons will get canted in the bore and not operate freely. Most likely the problem is at the calipers rather than in the lines or master cylinder.
    Had canted pistons on different bike that I had done the brakes on. Didn't expect to see that.

Spyder Garage

Hi k8sdad:
    I just posted on this very issue 5 days ago; see: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ly-to-one-side

My 2017 F3L is in the shop right now undergoing repairs. After looking things over, including a test ride, my dealer believes the left front calipers are faulty. Parts arrived yesterday, and bike should be ready for re-test later today. Hopefully, this resolves the issue.

You can see the discussion by other SL members on my post; some thought rotors or pads could be bad. However, my techs have checked and (so far) believe it's more likely the calipers. BajaRon supported this view. We'll know soon enough, and I'll up-date.

Apparently this problem, pulling either sharply right or left, has occurred in a few other cases. Those have been resolved by caliper replacement.

Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

PROBLEM SOLVED in my case; Spyder is fixed and rolling again like new.

As mentioned just above, I had posted notice of a similar serious problem of Spyder pulling sharply to right under heavy braking in another thread several days ago. Severe enough to put me on shoulder of road instead of stopping in a safe, straight line while still on pavement. This has been resolved by replacing the left front calipers along with new pads. To 'equalize' braking ops, the right side pads were replaced with new as well, so that pad wear from this point is fresh and even. In recent weeks, the right side brakes were doing all the work. The OP here has same issue.

My techs tell me that it wasn't the pads or the rotors that were at fault. Simply, the left calipers were not functioning completely in balance with the right. Apparently, there is an on-line "chat" system where techs at BRP dealers can contact each other and compare issues. It seems there have now been a few cases where calipers have failed on one side or the other. Replacement of the weak side is the approved remedy. BRP covered my fix under warranty; I was lucky to still have two weeks of full coverage left before I go on B.E.S.T. Just as a heads-up, caliper replacement is worth $500 CAN (incl tax), roughly $350 US.

Both the head tech as well as myself have given my Spyder a good workout, post-repair, and agree the bike is solid and working fine again. I was in for my second service (oil change and check-over). The techs at H B Cycle in Lindsay, ON, did a fantastic job. Re-tensioned my belt, bled brake lines, looked everything including tires over real well. Feels and shifts like a brand new machine again. Wonderful to be back in the saddle knowing I have a safe, solid ryde under my butt again.

Hope OP's shop will resolve his issue as well. Get the bad calipers swapped out and replace the right side pads as well, just to be even and sure.

Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

appt may 29. keep you posted

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by k8sdad View Post
    appt may 29. keep you posted
    any luck finding some resolution of your problem?
    [SIGPIC]