Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the followup and explanation. Sounds like it really was an unavoidable accident on your part and that you survived relatively unscathed for a cycle vs cycle impact.
    Though I'm a bit confused, your signature and Avatar still says '16 Triple black, was that the Spyder before this white one?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Hope you heal up fast ,time for a lottery ticket.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexAmRider View Post
    So to follow up now that we have a quiet evening after all the tornados last night.

Running about 65 miles an hour cresting a hill on highway 87 in Texas the last thing I expected was a motorcycle doing a u-turn in front of me. I'm guessing due to the rider just behind him, sitting on the right hand side of the road, I was in his blind spot when or if he may have looked my direction. He pulled from the side of the road directly into the right hand driving lane on a 2 way road. While I quickly hit the brakes and headed to the left after seeing there was no oncoming traffic trying to avoid broadsiding him, I was just hoping he would see me and stop quick enough that I would clear him. My right front wheel impacted his front wheel and forks. The impact was hard and sudden but the Spyder continued in a straight line in the direction I had pointed it. At this time I realized I had no brakes and had no steering control. So the wife and I continued in the saddle to stop about 150 yards down the road. The crazy thing about the brakes I found later was that part of the Tupperware wear had been shoved under the brake pedal and on top of the floor board. After coming to a stop I had already realized my right arm was probably broken even though I had full range of motion. I've got to say the group of riders from SAN Antonio were great. Bunch of fire fighters and medics. The guy who pulled out in front of me after finding all involved were ok was very apologetic and admitted to being at fault. The DPS also confirmed this in his report. We all walked away and that was a great thing. As for the damage to the Spyder that is yet to be fully determined. But yes I guess we have to expect the unexpected. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this is my forth Spyder 2weeks old and I was out on a break in run with our freedom trailer. About 1000 miles on the odometer.
    Man...Glad you, your wife and the other rider are relatively ok. Bones and metal can be repaired and replaced. The inconvenience of all the insurance stuff and your beat up Spyder will all pass. Speedy recovery...
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Is that the one where you went flying over a roundabout?
    Hi UtahPete, never went flying over a roundabout, took my eye of the ball and hit a kerb before approaching roundabout. Lessons to be learned.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    Hi UtahPete, never went flying over a roundabout, took my eye of the ball and hit a kerb before approaching roundabout. Lessons to be learned.
    Darren, I knew a roundabout was involved somehow!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your broken arm, and trashed Spyder! Very glad your injuries are no worse! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery, and a speedy and complete repair of your ride! Crashing sucks no matter what, but jeesh! Only about a 1000 on the odo?

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I still have the black one. The white one was 2 weeks old.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

The white one will be totaled. Not repaired. The damage to the a-arms has bent the frame where they attach. Bent frame = end of bike. Since it was only 2 weeks old it will be easy to determine value and get you another identical bike if that is what you want. You could likely have a new bike before your arm heals enough to ride it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    KX5062I don't think political symbols are allowed here
    To the group, I apologize in advance. I didn't bring it up. I didn't seek this out. But here it is, and conscience dictates a response.

The American flag is not a political symbol. Neither is the thin blue line symbol. The thin blue line symbol is not a symbol of support for LE, as has been alleged in this thread. It is a symbol that was used until very recently for LEOs to subtly identify themselves to each other. It draws from the "thin blue line" allegory among LEOs...professional symbolism. The meaning was a pledge of mutual support between LEOs. Nothing about that is political. The allegory is that there is a thin blue (police) line between order and chaos in any civilization and that the line cannot be broken if it is to remain successful. What is success? Protecting society from the anti-social elements within every society. That's not politics. It is social science. It is universal. I can actively oppose unnecessary use of force by LEOs, seek justice in its wake, and demand punishment of the perpetrators when it was determined to be flagrant instead of unintentional without that being "political." In fact, it's just good social responsibility as a citizen (and former cop, btw). But one cannot use such regrettable incidents to promote one's own candidacy for office, one's political party, or one's sociopathic narcissism without being political. Now to the American flag...

That flag symbolizes a federal republic in which various states and elements of society with different politics, philosophies, and sub-cultures all came together to form the UNITED States of America. The American flag can only legitimately be viewed as political by those who seek the destruction of the Constitutional government of the United States of America. In defense of that Constitution under the flag that represents it, men and women of every race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, etc. have died in battle. In fact, slaves and former slaves died in battle under this flag fighting to protect and perfect what it symbolizes. It transcends politics.

Some people are, in fact, offended by the display of either or both of these symbols. But people like that are...by reason...seditionists, insurgents, revolutionaries, or sociopaths, whether they have enough courage of conviction or self-awareness to admit it or not. That isn't a moral judgment, either. The people who gave us this flag were also seditionists and revolutionaries against their own government (Britain) when they created the United States of America, and clearly explained that fact in the Declaration of Independence. Two of the great and guiding principles symbolized by the flag and enshrined in the Constitution are the freedom to associate/align one's self as one pleases and the freedom to express one's ideas, beliefs, and affiliations without fear of government oppression or interference. For most of us, these rights have become an ethical guidepost applying to all humanity (a basic human right). So one has to wonder what sort of person operating under what nefarious motive could seek to censure or suppress someone displaying an American flag with a thin blue line inscribed upon it.

Spyder Garage

Musashi....That was beautiful, and I am printing it out to pass around to friends and family, down to my great grandkids (9, 12 and 16). Thanks.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Musashi....That was beautiful, and I am printing it out to pass around to friends and family, down to my great grandkids (9, 12 and 16). Thanks.
    I find it unfortunate and regrettable that it was even a subject of discussion on a thread started by a member reporting an injury accident between motorcyclists. I'll withhold my lecture on the moral implications of that, because I can't think of a way to do it with decorum and I imagine that over 90% of the members here feel the same way.

Spyder Garage

There was a time, when on vacation I would hesitate to reply where I was from(New York) because of the negativity that would be associated. I then revised my reply, and would mention I live north of NYC.
    After I became a police officer, the first ever in the history of my family, I was elated. It was the best decision I had ever made. One I had worked hard to accomplish. Luckily, I live in a town where there are many in law enforcement and the fire service. Sadly, lately, the same hesitation I experienced years ago when mentioning where I reside, has resurfaced. The only difference is that I am retired. And now, my oldest wishes to follow in my footsteps, serving his community, currently as a state certified EMT and volunteer firefighter, something I never accomplished and quite the undertaking.
    The fact is, police misconduct while an very isolated issue, has become fodder for those who wish to continue to push an agenda which takes attention away from the cold facts that many more men and woman are killed by acts of violence, senseless hate fueled acts, committed by other humans who are not law enforcement.
    But, there will always be those who wish to make things into something they are not. That's the way it has always been. Except now, these opinions are sent out world wide thanks to technology. And when these isolated incidents do take place, gone is due process that many would expect for themselves if involved in incidents.I pray things will change, but sadly, they probably won't. So I pray for those who will continue to protect and serve, that they are able to help those who desperately need it and safely return to their loved ones at the end of their tours.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Glad everyone is OK. Interesting footnote about the debris wedging between brake pedal and floorboard (pun intended). Nice that you were able to keep your head and get the Spyder stopped without brakes or steering and no further calamity. Good job!

Spyder Garage

There are many instances where many are denied due process. It's a fact and I'm not going to get into a discussion about it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Request that this thread redirect back to the topic posed by the OP please. Thank you.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-24-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Glad you’re going to heal. Wow that could have been a lot worse.
    ND Rider
    2016 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Picking up my White Dark Saturday

WOO HOO !!
    After 5 Months, I get to pick up my bike Saturday. This ended up being a Frame Off Repair. Good thing I had my second Spyder, but we will see how mine and the dealerships patience work out. Dealer has always done me good. The Spyder Tech is putting some extra miles on the bike this week testing everything out. I guess only time will tell how everything goes.

Now to settle with the insurance company !
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Walking away is a good thing!!!! All of the rest is nuts and bolts!! Good luck to you, and have a speedy come back!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

What does a Frame off repair mean?
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    What does a Frame off repair mean?
    Everything hadta be taken off the frame to get that sorted before all the rest could go back on. Basically, it's a complete re-build, just using as many of the undamaged or repaired original parts as they can!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Amazing, they didn't total that Spyder? BTW how is the arm doing?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Amazing, they didn't total that Spyder? BTW how is the arm doing?
    I truly hope they got things squared away with you. I would really hate to have a new bike with such a serious blot on it when it comes time to have a carfax report done. But I understand. Typically they will not total a vehicle until the repair cost is 75% of the value of the vehicle. We had that to happen to use back in 2003 when a girl t-boned my wife and daughter in our 2002 Nissan Maxima. If they had included the cost of a rental (which I would hope they provided for you while your bike was in the shop), it would have been totaled.
    But as a side note, you can possibly get what is known as depreciated value on your spyder. We received about $2k in compensation from the insurance company for that. Good luck, and I hope the arm is doing well.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white