Spyder Garage

Default Brake failure and parking brake light

New to forum...I've read some of the reported issues with the brake failure light coming on. Here is my story. I have a 2018 RT Limited and have had it for four months. I've put around 650 miles on it and love the bike. The first thing was the parking brake light coming on and staying on. Brakes worked fine and parking brake would set and unset without issue. Took it to dealership and they ran a diagnostic check. Said it was a software update.
    Drove it home and when I pulled into garage, parking brake light came on again and then a warning signal saying brake system failure. Then brake fluid low along with the parking light staying on. Checked brake fluid and it was full to top. A week goes by and we get ready to go riding. No lights or flashing warnings on crank up. Go down the road a few miles and it all starts again. Drove to dealership and found out that they have no idea what is causing the problem even after hooking up to B.U.D.S.

Has anyone else had this issue on such a new bike?

Spyder Garage

Took longer on my RT, but the first 1K miles wear down the pads a lot. I added brake fluid so it was right touching the bottom of the fill circle itself. Tappe the white floats to be sure not stuck. Not sure, but when that error is on pull the code(s) and post. You hold the MODE, SELECT and push in the turn signal (if I remember right!). It's in the manual too. I got C0040 and C006C brake pedal failure & high pressure brake failure. In my case I had to go through a routine to reset it. Not sure if same routine applies to '17 up though. Turn key on wait for computer to boot, then stomp and HOLD brake pedal hard, key off for 30 seconds (until headlights go out) so computer is off, then key back on, wait for computer boot, release pedal. Then key off, wait and back on. THis is a tiny bit different than in the manual but it worked for me. But - codes are king! iPhone app "Spydercodes" is $15 on app store, but doesn't have new codes for '17 up yet. Hopefully your problem pops the usual codes.

Spyder Garage

Did your dealership open a warranty case with BRP? They should; if they haven't ask them to do so. That's what your warranty is for.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Annoying.....

There are many reasons that the brake failure light will come on as with the check engine light. Basically the fluid level which can be as sensitive as a teaspoon low, the brake lights, the brake pads, the fluid level sensors, the brake pedal switches etc. One of the most common on new ryders is ryding along with your foot on the brake pedal. Just a short ryde will activate the brake failure.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Well, the dealership has had my bike for 18 total days now. 14 days the first time, 1 day with me waiting, and now three days and counting. They said that they have tried to use BUDS to diagnose the problem but still can't figure it out. The only explanation is "The brake system is very technical and more advanced than most motorcycles". That doesn't give me back all of the lost days of riding as I continue to make payments. VERY FRUSTRATING!!

Lawdog, retired police but still doing the job for second retirement.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt grey, chrome, back rest, arm rests, cup holders from canamspyderaccessories.com