Spyder Garage

Default Questions Before Buying a Spyder

I'm sure these have been covered here more than once, so apologies if this is old hat to some of you. I did try searching first. Maybe not very hard but I did try.

To give some context, I'm coming from 44 years of two-wheeling, the last 20 on big V-twins. I can't ride two wheels anymore for medical reasons.

I'm estimating that riding the Spyder would be about a 75/25 split between solo and 2-up. Looking to buy new 2019 model. My wife is SUPER supportive and will be getting her license and riding it as well.

Looking at either an F3 Limited or an RT Limited. In a nutshell, what are the pros and cons? My main concerns are comfort, rain/weather protection, etc. Luggage capacity isn't a huge deal for me, both models seem to have more than enough for my needs.

What are the "must have" mods to make the Spyder more rideable? I'm talking about power, handling, safety, etc. Personally I think it's ridiculous that any $30K+ machine would need another $1 to 2K in upgrades right from the start but coming from Harleys I'm very familiar with the concept (scam).

Thanks very much to those who reply. I'm more than a little impressed with the depth and breadth of knowledge here.

Spyder Garage

Having coming from a Road Guild myself I can relate. We went with the RT as it was the most comfortable for me. The F3 was not available at that time. we are now on F3's now.

These are what I found for me.
    RT pros = More storage room, Adjustable windscreen, Adjustable footboards for the passenger.
    F3 pros = Feet forward driver position, Better handling due to the lower riding position, Adjustable foot position for the driver (you have 5 positions to house from, but does require purchase of the foot leakage)

The best thing you can do is test ride both (with your wife) to see which one fits you>
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You would do well to ride for a few thousand miles to get used to the Spyder before determining if you want to add anything. Some say the stock tires are low quality(I agree). Some like the sharper handling of adding a heavier sway bar(me too). Some don't like the stock seat(I do). Like I said, ride it and decide. We had an RT but found the F3L way more comfortable to us and the riding position is adjustable. If the F3L is more for you but the passenger needs more room one of the vendors makes something for that. Please keep the "scam" talk to yourself. (not a Harley) If someone recommends something it is from personal experience. In stock form the RT or the F3L is perfectly rideable.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As many will tell you, a test ride of both is in order. If a RT riding position fits you, you will not be able to beat it. The adjustable windscreen is my most missed item on the F3T that I have now. As far as add ons, I am the person that say, DON'T BUY ANY!. Not until you ride it for a while and see what it needs for your personal taste. Too many people get fooled into adding things that they say make these machines so great. The truth is, they are pretty darn good from factory. Yes, an upgraded sway bar is nice, but they oem one will work very well for 95% of the people (with their driving habits). Lights are good for safety, but they have adequate lighting, etc. Just test drive both to see what fits you and your mate the best. Then ride it for 6 months and enjoy it. Then you can add as you see necessary.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

After 44 years of 2 wheel riding. The transition to 3 wheels could be a challenge in the beginning. Depending on how much snowmobile or atv experience you have as well.

Agree with the others. Wait before adding accessories.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

My charming bride and I have added a pair of RTs to our small collection and despite our different riding backgrounds, we both like our Spyders very much.

At 74 and sporting an artificial left hip I feel more comfortable on the Spyder than on our two wheel machines even though they are relatively small and light. Before selling my '93 BMW K75S (rather heavy and top heavy to boot) I was concerned about overextending my left leg - the one put commonly put down when stopped while riding two wheels. The surgeon advised me that I should never overextend that leg because the ball would pop out of the socket and he would hear me scream no matter where I may be. Not a pleasant though in my mind. It took only one slip of the left foot that I inadvertently put down on a bit of loose gravel and the ensuing topple-over to the left to convince me the BMW was no longer a comfortable ride. Thankfully the ball stayed in place and the only damage was to personal pride and a momentary lack of situational awareness.

We like the amenities offered with the RT and the storage space is a boon when we go touring - which we do much more frequently now than we did on two wheels. We can't comment on the F3 but we've examined them and still believe we have exactly what we want in the RTs.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)