Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Guy flipped his Ryker riding in reverse

Per the post title, this guy (Daniel from NJ) says he flipped his Ryker while reversing too fast on a slope. Based upon the damage I assume it flipped onto its side, not a full roll.

I can see how that could happen, could probably happen in forwards motion on a curve in a slope too. I assume the electronics work to prevent this in forward gear, wonder if they are programmed to do so in reverse.

Anyway, be careful. We call it a toy but like any toy, have to respect the power of the device. Daniel is an admitted new rider and he isn’t bashing the Ryker. I’ve seen several of his videos previously and he seems to be quite happy with his bike. Hopefully he doesn’t sour on things but learns to respect the ride while learning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd6p5GXXacA

Spyder Garage

That's one of the reasons why everyone stopped making the 3 wheeled off roads ATVs. With only one wheel in the front, they would flip when cornering. I hope he learned his physics lesson.

Spyder Garage

You loose the advantage of a reverse trike when going in reverse.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Going in reverse can be dangerous on a Spyder/Ryker when you assume you have the same stability as you do going forward. You can certainly exceed 5 MPH without issue. But you have to be careful not to make any sudden moves and pay attention to what you are doing. It doesn't help to be looking backwards at the same time. Not saying NOT to look behind you. Just understand the parameters change drastically in reverse and pay close attention to what you are doing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Same on snowmobiles when they started getting reverse. I saw several rolls that way. It's just too easy to move the center of gravity outside of the stability triangle, in reverse.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Makes sense, not sure it would be intuitive. Lots of people too used to throwing their car in reverse, looking backwards and hitting it hard. And I’m sure going cross grade on a slope didn’t help.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker - flipping !!!! ............. Not rykers fault

Guess what .. cars flip/roll on slopes going up or down ….. Quads do it frequently …. IMHO , there is no cure for Careless ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

He has made a few video's, not the brightest bulb on the shelf that's for sure. He also admits in prior video's he has no motorcycle experience so there ya go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    Per the post title, this guy (Daniel from NJ) says he flipped his Ryker while reversing too fast on a slope. Based upon the damage I assume it flipped onto its side, not a full roll.

I can see how that could happen, could probably happen in forwards motion on a curve in a slope too. I assume the electronics work to prevent this in forward gear, wonder if they are programmed to do so in reverse.

Anyway, be careful. We call it a toy but like any toy, have to respect the power of the device. Daniel is an admitted new rider and he isn’t bashing the Ryker. I’ve seen several of his videos previously and he seems to be quite happy with his bike. Hopefully he doesn’t sour on things but learns to respect the ride while learning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd6p5GXXacA

I hear you have to be really careful with a Harley trike, as you can easily flip going FORWARD, so it could be at HIGH SPEED!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post

I hear you have to be really careful with a Harley trike, as you can easily flip going FORWARD, so it could be at HIGH SPEED!
    Not sure what that has to do with the post, but ok, if you say so. My experience is the tri-glides easily keep up in the twisties but again not really relevant.

Spyder Garage

This post and the video is nonsense. I suggest he take his truck, floor it in reverse on the side of a hill and whip the steering around and see how that turns out. I hope he has a video feed on at the time.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

I think it has less to do with where the single wheel is located and more with when driving in reverse you are steering from the rear, which creates stability issues. I owned a TriGlide for a couple years and never experienced any issues going downhill in curves. Since it was an electric reverse, it never went fast enough in reverse to cause an issue.

Spyder Garage

To my understanding, there is no Nanny in reverse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    To my understanding, there is no Nanny in reverse.
    Nope, gotta use common sense. Which this guy is obviously lacking.

Spyder Garage

Not sure what that has to do with the post, but ok, if you say so. My experience is the tri-glides easily keep up in the twisties but again not really relevant.
    The point is, I'd much rather flip at slow speed reverse, than high speed forward! Harley trikes are indeed dangerous if you have to make a sudden emergency evasive maneuver.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    The point is, I'd much rather flip at slow speed reverse, than high speed forward! Harley trikes are indeed dangerous if you have to make a sudden emergency evasive maneuver.
    As is any standard trike. It's not just inherent to HD's. Goldwing trikes are the same damn way. Independent Rear Suspension trikes I think are far better for handling. Both of my brother's ride Goldwing Trikes and they also rode Spyder's before they purchased. Both thought the GW trikes handled better and felt safer. All a matter of opinion though.

Spyder Garage

Any bike or trike can ge dangerous if you have to make a sudden evasive maneuver, though I would generally think 2 wheels less dangerous depending upon the road surface.

I don’t think folks jumping all over the guy who rolled the Ryker are being realistic. A big selling point is that its almost impossible to flip these. If thats not true in reverse then lots of newbies are misinformed.

At what point does reverse speed become dangerous? 5 mph? 8 mph? 15 mph?

I doubt he was going 25 mph based upon the road he was on, but how would one know? For the guy who thinks the post and the video are BS, I’m calling you on your BS. If you gave a crap about your fellow riders you would have a better attitude. Maybe you should go whine about Harley riders won’t wave to you in the other forum.

Geez.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    As is any standard trike. It's not just inherent to HD's. Goldwing trikes are the same damn way. Independent Rear Suspension trikes I think are far better for handling. Both of my brother's ride Goldwing Trikes and they also rode Spyder's before they purchased. Both thought the GW trikes handled better and felt safer. All a matter of opinion though.
    I took the 3 wheel safety training course and they has us doing emergency maneuvers on Spyder F3s and I would say you are completely wrong in that statement. Three wheeled bikes like the Ryker and Spyder that have two wheels in the front are EXTREMELY safe in emergency maneuvers when going forward.

It comes down to physics and force vectors. When you turn your wheels hard to the left or right, the weight of your bike is going to try to keep going straight. With the opposing two front wheels, your outermost turning wheel and suspension will take the brunt of the force vector.
    With a trike that has only one wheel in the front, there is no wheel or suspension to handle that forward force vector....and that's why they will roll in emergency maneuvers.

Spyder Garage

It all comes down to a lack of common sense.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

This is well known from the very begining. One reason they started putting REV limiter for the reverse. The main issue is the steering. When you change the front steering to the rear it changes everything and especially the stability. It's like those COSTCO carts that steer from the rear wheels as you push them forward... forklifts come to mind as massive as they are can be flipped easily even on level ground..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

3 wheel safety courses... everyone should get one at least.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I took the 3 wheel safety training course and they has us doing emergency maneuvers on Spyder F3s and I would say you are completely wrong in that statement. Three wheeled bikes like the Ryker and Spyder that have two wheels in the front are EXTREMELY safe in emergency maneuvers when going forward.

It comes down to physics and force vectors. When you turn your wheels hard to the left or right, the weight of your bike is going to try to keep going straight. With the opposing two front wheels, your outermost turning wheel and suspension will take the brunt of the force vector.
    With a trike that has only one wheel in the front, there is no wheel or suspension to handle that forward force vector....and that's why they will roll in emergency maneuvers.
    What is it I'm wrong about?

Spyder Garage

Our experience in our riding club is that neither they nor the wing trikes can keep up in the twisties. Slows the whole group down waiting for them. They cannot stop and cannot turn near as well as a conventional bike, much less a Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

What is it I'm wrong about?
    I thought you were grouping the Rykers and Spyders into the trike category. Was I wrong? If so, I apologize.

Spyder Garage

Nope, gotta use common sense. Which this guy is obviously lacking.
    and proudly put it on a world accessible platform. **head shake**