Last year, I was unable to ride because of wounds on my lower legs and every Tuesday I went to the Wound Center for treatment. It was a long slow process, but my condition finally cleared up. All that time I went out to fire up the Spyder to keep fresh gas in the engine and keep the engine parts lubricated. I will say it was hard not to put on the helmet and blast down the road, but with the weight of the dressing, that went from my toes to just below my knees, it was very hard to get my leg over the seat.

The day finally came and I started the Spyder and backed it out of the trailer. Getting off I closed the ramp door on the trailer and getting back on the Spyder, I kicked it down into reverse and backed out into the street. Before doing this I checked all lights and lugs on the wheels and checked the brakes and thought every thing was okay to go. I lift my foot to put it into 1st gear and it won't go. I tried again and still it wouldn't go, than reached over with my right hand to hold the clutch in and using my left hand I reach down and grabbing the shifter, I lift it and it goes into first and I pull it back into the yard. I tried it again and the same thing happens and now I'm talking to myself, using another language. I than reach down and press on my toe and its not there. I'm wearing the shoes I bought that were size 12 and shut down the Spyder to go and change my shoes, to the normal size and slip into my riding boots for the first time in may moons.

Heading back out its strange wearing the boots and hop on the Spyder and fire it up again. I try it again and this time I had no problem. Backing out of the yard, I put it in 1st and twist the throttle. I live in the middle of the block, so wasn't going that fast. I get down on the main road and this time I take off and looking down at my speed, I'm way over the speed limit and of course the sheriff sitting in a parking lot noticed and I slowed down and stopped, barely using the brakes. I told him my story and he let me go with a verbal warning. I take off again and again, I'm over the speed limit and decide to lay off the throttle and slow to go stop at a friend business. I go for the brakes and there are none. I checked these before and they were fine when I wasn't moving, so instead of stopping at my friends business, I go to Southern Iron to talk to Larry and Bryan the owner. They had some time, so changed out the brake fluid and clutch fluid. bleeding the lines. Than Larry took it for a ride and coming back, he said this has to be the fastest GS I have ever ridden and when I the only tech at this dealership, I took many for rides and none compare to this one and its 11 years old now.

So now I have brakes and Larry wants to see a BUDS report. I hate taking it to the dealer, they always want me to trade it for new payments, now more than before, since its now Pearl White with a Metal flake and Black, keeping that 2008 GS look. This girl I know thought I was a Panama City cop and when I followed her into a parking lot, she thought for sure she was going to get a ticket, until I took off my helmet.

I'm having fun again and at age 69, I still have that smile and plan on riding well into my 70's. I do believe it keeps my mind and reflexes strong. There are a lot of cellphone idiots out there and being aware of who is around me and anticipating what they are going to do, one needs to be ready for anything, whether riding or driving.

Ryde Safe Everyone