Thread: I had to laugh.

Spyder Garage

Default I had to laugh.

Most know as has been posted here that a lot of "Harley" riders won't wave at a Spyder rider as they pass on the road. I had to laugh today as my wife and I were out with very good friends of ours - they ride a Harley trike. We were coming into a town and a "Harley" rider was approaching. My friend gives the usual customary wave as he was in the lead. We gave the same as we were following. (Note: we led on the way back) The on coming Harley rider waves at my friend "but" when he notices our Spyder, his hand pulls back so fast it was as if he touched the hot griddle at McDonalds. Even my better half had a good chuckle at this.

Spyder Garage

I have always had Honda's, and I lived in Milwaukee, so the only waves I got were the kind with one finger
    I have been really surprised since I got my Spyder how many Harley riders wave to me. I really don't care one way or another I am just curious if they know what I am riding??

Spyder Garage

Most of the time I'm riding a scooter (wherever; interstate included).
    Wave, wave not, there is no care.

2019-05-19 19_32_24-yoda - Google Search.jpg
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny canuck View Post
    Most know as has been posted here that a lot of "Harley" riders won't wave at a Spyder rider as they pass on the road. I had to laugh today as my wife and I were out with very good friends of ours - they ride a Harley trike. We were coming into a town and a "Harley" rider was approaching. My friend gives the usual customary wave as he was in the lead. We gave the same as we were following. (Note: we led on the way back) The on coming Harley rider waves at my friend "but" when he notices our Spyder, his hand pulls back so fast it was as if he touched the hot griddle at McDonalds. Even my better half had a good chuckle at this.
    glad no road rash from that reaction

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Hi MonPaul,
    We have found through most of our travels on the RTL, it will draw a crowd at the gas station or restaurant. Most are friendly and are curious about the bike. In some places we have travelled (Deep southern states) many have never even seen a spyder... but love it. Oh, and they all love the frunk.

Spyder Garage

Not sure why anybody would care if someone waved or not, but that's just me.

Spyder Garage

Hi Ibified,
    Don't care. Just found it quite humorus. We are in a club that has "ALL" different kinds of bikes. Only rule, bike has to be big enough to keep up with the rest on major highways.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically. I just know a lot of people who get mad at little things like that. I'm with you in that I think it's funny.

Spyder Garage

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don’t Wave Back.
    10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
    9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
    8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
    7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
    6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
    5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner’s manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can’t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They’re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Here it is mixed reactions since going from two to three wheels - some wave and some do not - My thoughts are ---k its your problem not mine and carry on enjoying the ride
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

I wave regardless of the oncoming brand. I have noted that some Harley riders do not return my greeting. Some do. But there are times when I am distracted. I'm sure other riders get distracted, too. But I'll keep on waving because we are all riders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I waved all the time, just to say Hi, a
    how'd you doing? I just to be friend to all riders. We must extend peace to all. Keep ridding and have fun.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by starrider60 View Post
    I wave regardless of the oncoming brand. I have noted that some Harley riders do not return my greeting. Some do. But there are times when I am distracted. I'm sure other riders get distracted, too. But I'll keep on waving because we are all riders
    That's pretty much what I've run into over the years. I find that the closer the bike I'm riding resembles a harley - big cruiser - the more likely I am to get wave. If I'm not anything that isn't a big cruiser, then.... I spent my formative riding years in Daytona. At the time AMF owned harley, and even the owners would tell you the bikes weren't the best, butut for them it was harley or nothing. I was on an RD350 at the time and they treated me well enough. Kinda like the odd cousin at the reunion - part of the family but not quite right.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

By far, most riders here wave no matter what they are riding but maybe 1 out of 5 or 10 H-D riders won't wave at rice burners or Spyders. I ride a Virago sometimes and I guess it looks similar enough to a Harley that some Harley riders do that start to wave then pull it back thing. I wave at everyone (even an old dude on a scooter I pass in the morning, riding is riding) and when I wave to a Harley rider who deliberately doesn't wave back, I get this feeling of satisfaction that I got in his head and pissed him off. I know that is probably rarely true, but it makes me feel good. More likely they didn't wave back because they might loose control if they take a hand off of the ape hangars.

Spyder Garage

Default That's the way it is....

Much less now-a-days. Around here I have not found that many that don't wave or perhaps a nod. l wave to all and do not worry if they wave back. Is funny and I have not had any try to take a wave back.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We wave most of the time. When someone does not we just laugh it off.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I really don't notice this phenomenon. I've heard it spoken about for years but never paid attention to it.

Sometimes you don't get a wave no matter what you ride. Think about it, maybe the other guy didn't see you, got distracted with something else, wasn't looking, was tired of waving at the mass of bikes on the road, doesn't usually wave at anything, is just an *******..... The list of reasons can go on and on. Ultimately, you have to ask: What difference does it make?

Personally, I don't care what a stranger may think about me or if he ever even notices me. I don't crave the affirmation.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)