Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ozarks Spyder Rides

I've started a new YouTube Channel called "Ozarks Spyder Rides". The intent being to share some of the scenery of the great rides we have in the area. These will include some footage from Table Rock Lake, Branson, Mark Twain Forrest, the ride down Hi-way 125 to the Peel Ferry, maybe on down into the Arkansas Mountains if time permits.

I've done years and years of video work in the past but I'm trying to decide on one of two mounting positions for the GoPro Hero 7 Black. I have a suction mount that works great behind the windshield and it gives me some decent background audio with manageable wind noise. The other option was to mount the GoPro on one of my helmets, and I did, but the wind noise makes the background track unusable.

IF I could find the external sound box that allows the GoPro to use a pro level mic, then I could mount the GoPro on the helmet, which gives the best footage, and then put the mic on the Spyder so I get the throttle sounds (Engine) instead of just wind noise.

I've done a few test videos and I even plan on doing a lot of how to videos for those who want to see how some things are done on the Spyder!

Here is the link to the channel and please, give me some feedback and advice if you have any ideas. I shot all of this in 1080P/60 and uploaded it in 1080P/24 but YouTube does the crappy AVC codec for us low view uses and saves the good VP9 codec for the channels with higher views.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV8..._as=subscriber

Thanks,

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

I added a how to video today for those who would like to do their own belt alignments and belt tensioning. Just in case you are confused, there are 3 sets of belt tensions and at least two different belts that I am aware of! So when you see comments posted here that say "set your belt to ###, make sure it applies to your Spyder and your belt type as they are not all the same!.

Here is the link to today's "How to Video"

https://youtu.be/pWGiCt7aW6s

If these turn out to be helpful. Ill do more of them on some of the more common maintenance issues.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Please keep them coming!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I watched the ZZ to Wilsons Creek Ride video and was quite impressed by the quality of the video and narration but also with terrain; it's much flatter than I was expecting for the Ozarks.

I also noticed that you seemed to be riding well above the posted speed limit, which intrigues me because I would be completely bored at the posted speeds. Is law enforcement not an issue in those parts?

I've subscribed to your channel. Good job.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

DrDavo.

Just saw you video and the tension method you describe is interesting. I have tried the calculator portion of the Carbon Drive APP and it doesn't allow the entry of the proper rear sprocket size and belt length values for the Spyders. Reviewing your video I realize that your numbers were derived by hand calc and not the APP. Are you only using the APP to measure the frequency?
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

We are new to the area...cannot wait for our spyders to arrive. Going to get to know the scenic roads ASAP.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    DrDavo.

Just saw you video and the tension method you describe is interesting. I have tried the calculator portion of the Carbon Drive APP and it doesn't allow the entry of the proper rear sprocket size and belt length values for the Spyders. Reviewing your video I realize that your numbers were derived by hand calc and not the APP. Are you only using the APP to measure the frequency?
    Yes, just the frequency! The rest of the app only works for the bike belts. So basically, take a reading when you are happy with the belt tension and write it down. Now anytime you move anything, you know what Hz you need to get back to so the belt is the same as it was.

BTW: I do miss-speak from time to time due to my age and having had 3 by-passes and 10 stints! All of those procedure left me a little forgetful and I stumble on some words once in a while.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I watched the ZZ to Wilsons Creek Ride video and was quite impressed by the quality of the video and narration but also with terrain; it's much flatter than I was expecting for the Ozarks.

I also noticed that you seemed to be riding well above the posted speed limit, which intrigues me because I would be completely bored at the posted speeds. Is law enforcement not an issue in those parts?

I've subscribed to your channel. Good job.
    I replied but forgot to hit the quote button, but no, I ride pretty much at the posted limit. It does look faster than that but I think it is due to the low camera mount angle. I even thought my GoPro footage was playing back wrong when I watched the footage, so I was surprised as well.

As for the terrain, it is much different as you get farther South and closer to the lakes.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Ozarks Spyder Rides posted again!

This one on is on wiring a GPS using the existing circuit that is provided by BRP.

https://youtu.be/r5dnlEYoLJ0

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Busy day! Way too much rain last night with over 5" of rain so not much of a chance to get out and ride. Soooo, I made another video! There was a request to do one on how to remove the mirrors and side panels.

So that is what this one is about:

https://youtu.be/8XpVw9m3DQk

Enjoy,

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Man it rained again last night. Now we are at over 6" in just three days!

Since I could not get out and ride, I decided to change the oil in my Spyder and make a video of how to do it on the 2018 Spyder RT Limited.

https://youtu.be/Z41izQaFwDU

So to complete this set of videos, I need to also do one on how to replace the panels properly. So that will be today's project.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

I finished the third of the "How to" videos on removing the panels, changing the oil and now this one on how to put the panels back on properly!

https://youtu.be/_bxVo1OXnYE

Break time!

I'll get back to some riding videos as soon as the weather cooperates! I think I'll do the Table Rock Dam ride next, or something in that area where the hills, sharp curves and views of the lake are pretty common.

Later,

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

The wife and I got out today and took a 3 hour ride across the Table Rock Dam, made a swing by the Chateau on the Lake and even though it was a bit overcast, we ended up with some pretty nice video.

I'm making 4 videos out of the footage and I have two of them completed on the "Ozarks Spyder Rides" channel.

Here is the link to the Chateau on the lake video:

https://youtu.be/3QLiqTjK72s

I'll have two more up tomorrow if I have time! The third one is of the Table Rock Dam and the fourth one is past the Branson Bell and onto point lookout.

Later,

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

It's getting late for me this evening but I finished the Video on the Table Rock Dam and the Shepherd of the Hills fish Hatchery!

https://youtu.be/YpqjmBesYEY

One more to go in this series, all taken from the same 3 hour ride.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

I finished the last of the 4 part videos that started out in Branson West and end at Point Lookout.

This one starts as we leave the Dewey Short Visitors center just South of the Table Rock Dam and continues on till we get to Point Lookout.

https://youtu.be/1Oy3h8akMb0

I still have some wind issues, so there is still work to be done before the fall footage after the leaves turn color.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the Video on the GPS install. One question did you have to take off the front panel by the headlights to run the wire for the GPS on the right side? When I took off the right side panels and the small tab in front in between the handle bars I could not seem to run the wires or get them to make the curve around.

Rod

Spyder Garage

Loved the video on the GPS wiring...just wished you would have shown a little more of the actual wire run and how you made the connection to GPS2 connector. It’s awesome you showed where it was with panels “on” but much more helpful to see it off. Maybe you can revisit this video for us novice DYI guys

Branson is on our list of places to go on our new RTL 2018...been there many times in car the strip is the place to be this time of year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rdoss5 View Post
    Thanks for the Video on the GPS install. One question did you have to take off the front panel by the headlights to run the wire for the GPS on the right side? When I took off the right side panels and the small tab in front in between the handle bars I could not seem to run the wires or get them to make the curve around.

Rod
    Rod,

No, I did not have to take anything off of the front. With the small tab out of the handlebars, I took a stiff piece of cord and pushed it down and then took a hooked wire and was able to pull it out the right side!

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFlyer76 View Post
    Loved the video on the GPS wiring...just wished you would have shown a little more of the actual wire run and how you made the connection to GPS2 connector. It’s awesome you showed where it was with panels “on” but much more helpful to see it off. Maybe you can revisit this video for us novice DYI guys

Branson is on our list of places to go on our new RTL 2018...been there many times in car the strip is the place to be this time of year.
    I agree, but I knew I was going to do an oil change and I didn't want to do the panel removal twice. If you go to my Ozarks Spyder Rides channel, I show the wiring route in the "Oil Change" video while I had the panels off. The connection was made by cutting off the connector and using butt crimp splices and then I coated them with silicon and heat shrink wrap to make them water tight.

IF you have any questions just post and I'll do what I can to help.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Today was just awesome! The wife and I got out this morning and made a trip out 60 East to Rogersville, took 125 up to Strafford, on to Fair Grove and then CC over to Hi Way H. From there we skipped down Hi Way 13 and then made a video of the route to the Fantastic Caverns.

Here are two links that I got done today:

Fantastic Caverns Ride:

https://youtu.be/lyFolV2qOfQ

CC to Hi Way H:

https://youtu.be/bmM2Aie4HvA

I have two more to upload in the Morning, June 3, 2019.

I got my wind noise issue solved!

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Outstanding work! Is your narration a separate audio track that you are recording after the fact?
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Outstanding work! Is your narration a separate audio track that you are recording after the fact?
    Rob
    Yes, I use Pinnacle Ultimate video editing software and I can do voice overs while I watch the playback. I then use a process called "audio Ducking" that lowers the background sound track and lets my voice over come to the front while keeping the audio level constant.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

I just uploaded two more parts of the June 2nd ride. One of these rides had no background audio because I forgot to start my digital recorder so I just laid down some "elevator" music as a back track and then did my voice over.

So here are the last two and this may be all I do until the leaves turn this fall and then I'll get some fall rides done and post them as well.

125 North to Fair Grove, MO.:

https://youtu.be/MrTiJznXMw4

125 North to Strafford, MO.:

https://youtu.be/4UMILrSfiO8

The last one is the one with the music!

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Hey Spyder riders!

It was 74 degrees today, a little windy, but we got out and rode down south on 65 to Hollister and took a detour through the College of the Ozarks.

This is a 7 minute video of some beautiful scenery and some narrative history about the Campus. Nice detour off the Hi Way if you like to take a break when you're down in the area.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/r92xkc1SqOc

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White