Thread: Issues starting

Spyder Garage

Default Issues starting

I've got about 400 miles on my 600 and I'm experiencing some problems starting. Sometimes when I press the start button , I get no response. The display shows the motor management light and the parking brake light. If I turn the bike off and wait for the display to completely clear and go blank, I can turn it back on and go through the process and it will start. This happened to me twice yesterday. I went to me dealer and they didn't know of any reason for this happening, but suggested I may be trying to start up too fast. So the next time I had it happen I had waited a full minute after turning on before clearing the "read safety card" message and trying to start, but it did the same thing. Yes I am firmly pressing the brake.

Spyder Garage

The user "chris56" posted the following tip in the german forum:
    if you, like me, always leave the "plastic plug" (key ?) inserted, it can happen that it doesn't start anymore, even though you've done everything right, mostly when you switch it on and off too often without really starting it - so unplug the key and everything works again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    The user "chris56" posted the following tip in the german forum:
    Thanks Chris. I am guilty of that since it is garage kept. I'll start removing the key.

Spyder Garage

Just as an addition and I know this isn't your problem but there was a guy with the forward/reverse lever in "neutral", right between forward and revere and his wouldn't start either. Some folks don't know there is a neutral and I'm not sure it's in the owners manual

Spyder Garage

You always must remember to flip switch on, push starter button, twist throttle top forward, then put foot on brake, and push starter button once more, in order to get started.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Just as an addition and I know this isn't your problem but there was a guy with the forward/reverse lever in "neutral", right between forward and revere and his wouldn't start either. Some folks don't know there is a neutral and I'm not sure it's in the owners manual
    Thanks KC61. I was aware of that condition, but never use it. I seldom even use reverse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Thanks KC61. I was aware of that condition, but never use it. I seldom even use reverse.
    Me neither! I try to park avoiding the need for reverse.

Spyder Garage

I use reverse several times every time I ride. Keep coming up on dead ends or gates out in the middle of nowhere.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    With almost 1000 miles on mine, it happened today. I had rolled it with 'gear' in neutral and forgot. It would start but would not go! I didn't think it would start in between F and R but it did. It just 'huffed' at me when I rolled throttle....
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    With almost 1000 miles on mine, it happened today. I had rolled it with 'gear' in neutral and forgot. It would start but would not go! I didn't think it would start in between F and R but it did. It just 'huffed' at me when I rolled throttle....
    You are correct, it will start, it just wont go anywhere. I believe it throws some kind of idiot light or code doesn't it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always put my gear on neutral before I turn off my engine and found out that it start easier.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod