Spyder Garage

Question Seeking advice for entering the 3 wheel world

Hi all. I'm looking at finally giving up the 2 wheels and going with a Spyder. I've always had Japanese motorcycles (40 years riding) and they have always been ultra reliable and I can do most general maintenance myself. However, when it comes to electrical I'm clueless. I don't want to overspend in case I find myself not liking it, so I am looking at an older model. I would prefer a manual tranny. I have always avoided first year of any new vehicle, but around me area there are a few 2008s. Would I be safe looking at a first year model? I assume most issues would have been sorted out? Or should I up my budget by and look for something say 2010 and on and avoid the first couple years? I should mention my motorcycles have been sporty or upright position. I tried a cruiser style and it hurt my back so I would be looking for a model without feet too far out front. Thanks for any advice.

Spyder Garage

By what your saying and if your interested in can-am ride and try the rt, or F3. Rt is more of a ride forward snowmobile style ride, the F3 is a sporty, legs out forward, but adjustable ride. I would also go with a model that has the 1330 engine, smoother engine, more power has the 6 speed trans, better mpg! Test drive them, look for a place that would let you rent one for a weekend take a good ride on one. They are a ton of fun but it will take a few miles on one to really see if it's for you!
    Just my 2 cents
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

What he said. Definitely go for the 1330 motor. Style is up to you. Consider your riding preference. Do you like to take long rides across country or just putt around locally? That said go for test rides at a dealer.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by starrider60 View Post
    What he said. Definitely go for the 1330 motor. Style is up to you. Consider your riding preference. Do you like to take long rides across country or just putt around locally? That said go for test rides at a dealer.
    ……… BRP no longer makes any Spyders with the V-twin ….there is a very good reason why they Don't ….. You MUST test ride all the Spyders , they will All feel different …. When you do .. Drive it like a CAR, you will have no issues …. test the Brakes Immed. and do it more than a few times …. I have had three different Spyders and you couldn't give me any with the V-twin ( a 35 year old design )…. good luck ….. Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try out the different models i.e. RT, F3 and Ryker the older RS and GS models if you can find them. the 998 motor is a good higher rpm motor and it gets about 30 MPG the 1330 motor is a lower rpm motor and is also very good and it gets about 40 MPG. Make sure and read some different post here of people that rode 2 wheels for a long time then switched to 3 wheels. I will warn you its not the same at first, you will need to relax and take time to learn how different it is. Some get it in about 10 miles others take 1000 miles. Good luck shopping, keep an open mind as far as transmission the SE and SM are the same transmission but one is shifted hydraulically SE (push button when you want it to shift up or down) the other SM with your foot. The Ryker has no shifting just twist the throttle and go, its shaft drive (got to try that).
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 05-19-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krfish View Post
    Hi all. I'm looking at finally giving up the 2 wheels and going with a Spyder. I've always had Japanese motorcycles (40 years riding) and they have always been ultra reliable and I can do most general maintenance myself. However, when it comes to electrical I'm clueless. I don't want to overspend in case I find myself not liking it, so I am looking at an older model. I would prefer a manual tranny. I have always avoided first year of any new vehicle, but around me area there are a few 2008s. Would I be safe looking at a first year model? I assume most issues would have been sorted out? Or should I up my budget by and look for something say 2010 and on and avoid the first couple years? I should mention my motorcycles have been sporty or upright position. I tried a cruiser style and it hurt my back so I would be looking for a model without feet too far out front. Thanks for any advice.
    you if don’t have give up 2 wheels to ride on 3 having one of each is quite fun & beneficial if one is in shop on a perfect riding day. The more upright seating looking at GS & RS that all had the 998 the F3 has a “U fit” adjustable seating position system that you can reasonably swap around maybe find a mix that fits you better. All with the1330 that gets better mpg. Cons of the sporty models is lack of onboard storage, various solutions to remedy that. Electrically most you have to worry bout is battery maintainer cable & maintainability (location of battery varies per those models)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I'll be 87 shortly--gave up my Guzzi and got for my use a 2012-two cl. rt spyder and have modified it to my personal use.. more yet to do---2012 is the last year for the 2cl. Less cost and is fine for me & my used body??

Spyder Garage

Not going to be easy to find a 1330 in the same budget range as the 998. Not everyone has unlimited funds. I know I do not. I have a 2008 and it does everything need. Also, totally depends on how much riding a person intends on doing. I would love a newer bike, but there are other priorities. Like not pissing off the other half.
    2013 RT , Aluminum Spyder Brake Pedal Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Hi Spyderman41333,

Re: but there are other priorities.

I absolutely agree ( '08 GS owner/rider ).

IMO life is all about choices. We all march to a different drummer.

I really, really like my '08. I have made a fair amount of changes to it; nothing that I would consider bling. Just those things that I consider that make it the Spyder that I want.

Absolutely no need to apologize for wanting/riding an older motorcycle; of any kind.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

As others have said, don't be put off by the 998 engine. It is reliable and has plenty of power. If that is all that is in your budget, take a test ride on a few and form your own opinion. The 1330 engine is newer, but they cost more to purchase. I have a 2009 RS and really like it. Spyders will generally last a long time if you take care of them, so if looking at an older used one try to get the service records.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I had a 2008 GS premier edition manual shift and 2011 RS SE5 there is nothing wrong with them as long as riding position suits you. Both were reliable and required no maintenance while i had them and i kind of miss the feedback you get from a v-twin. I had recently upgraded to F3 and comfort level is on a whole other level but for whatever reason in my memory still 2008 feels the fastest. If you are on a budget go with GS/RSS
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't be too insistent on having a manual. The electric shift is wonderful compared to the manual. Very, very few owners have expressed a desire to go back to a manual after riding the electric shift for a few hundred miles. Must be a good reason for that to be the case!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I would look for a 2014 spyder model and up, go with a "1330 engine. Take a test drives first.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by starrider60 View Post
    Yes, I traded in my Goldwing and Harley ultra for an RT in 2015 and never looked back. Rode two wheelers for most of 60 years but got to an age where just was not comfortable holding a heavy bike up. Do go with the 1330 motor, you won't disappointed.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

We have to be mindful that not everyone has a budget nor is willing to pay for a 1330cc and we dont wanna give them the wrong impression that 990 is no good. It's not like he is buying Yugo. 990 is more like a corolla/civic basic reliable machine with basic comfort.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Deb, my best half, had a major stroke 11 Feb 2019 and can no longer safely be a passenger on our 2010 Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager. She can no longer drive and had to medically retire from her job. It was either give up riding completely OR sell her car and the Voyager and get a Spyder. We have looked at Spyders for the past two years. When fate interceded I started looking. I was fortunate to find a 2015 RT Limited (aka RTL) with only 2,500 miles at half the price of a new one! FYI this is the top of the line touring Spyder with the SE6 or semi-automatic electronic 6-speed transmission. I was not sure if I would like the SE6 but have started to adjust to it and ... I LIKE IT! You will have to forget all about counter-steering and learn to "push" the right handlebar to go left and vice-versa. Forget about pulling the left bar to go left! Humans tend to grip and pull more than necessary to negotiate the turn. I have only had my Spyder RTL for about 3-weeks now and have about 800 miles on it thus far. It does take time, practice and miles to adjust. I got my motorcycle endorsement in '73 and had my share of bikes. Test ride some Spyders and you should find a good one. I don't know if Cycle Trader is available in your area or not. Get a 2014 or newer if you can. It will have the 3-cylinder 1330cc engine. Keep us posted! Good luck!
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Like most have said, there are many choices - three or four styles and two engines. I have two 2008GS's and a 2016RT. Had a 2013 ST-S prior. All ride different. If you want to dip your toe so to speak I wouldn't rule out the 2008GS. They should have had the factory services done on them. In my case I'm 6'5" and have riding pegs and handle bar risers; with an Ultimate seat. Super comfy, not leaned forward. Many 2008's are already set up like this, and you can grab one about $3K - $5K cheaper than the RT model. If you know you will be doing long hauls, then the RT will put you riding comfy off the bat from factory. But it costs a lot more. Some dealers might let you ride one for a day or two (used ones). Many like the F3 model that puts your butt closer to the ground and your legs forward. The F3's have the newer 1330 engine. I don't mind tinkering, so I love my 998cc GS's, keeping an eye on oil levels (super important) and adding mods that help out. The 998cc's like to sputter oil up into the air breather and burn some oil.

The main difference I see performance wise is the 998cc is a zippier, more responsive engine great for the curves. A small twist on the grip and you are off like a rocket. A custom muffler on the VTwin sounds awesome too The 1330 has torque all day, you have to roll on the throttle more. I can definitely feel the power of the 1330, rarely changing gears in hilly areas. But then in the twisties I like the GS's sport frame. We took a long trip to Maggie Valley and the RT was so comfy. The GS, even with the added stuff I probably would made a lot more stops to stretch out, which I don't mind. The ST model is an in between, sitting up more and has saddle bags and was nice on longer trips. I don't own an F3 yet, that's next on the list. But sitting on them being tall it feels great. I use my GS for day or overnight trips & daily commuter. Long trips always the RT, when I can get it from my wife!

Lots to think about, but try to get your hands on one for a day. Try out what you can. I'd start with what you plan on doing and go from there - long hauls, day trips, etc. and your budget.

Spyder Garage

Hi all as well!.. I too have just given up riding 2 wheels as suffer from arthritis in my spine.. Just sold my Triumph rocket 3 and was sad to see it go, but gotta be realistic. I want comfort but don't have a limitless budget, so have bought a 2012 Rt limited 990..with the semi automatic gearbox. Its done 11000 UK miles and there were only 2 in the UK within my budget! Never ridden one, but have managed to sit on one to test out the riding position...nice and upright and as comfy as my Gl1800 Goldwing used to be...went pillion on a GS and that was quit spritely but im not looking to tear arse about on it! So hopefully ill get used to the cornering and enjoy it..ill let you know as it gets delivered this week!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go take a lot of test rides wherever, and then go here for some great buys. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Sale-by-Owner

Spyder Garage

krfish, I can't add much to what has already been said except to second the advice to test ride where/whenever possible to see which style you like. I did that and ruled out the RT as it made my arthritic hips scream for mercy after just a couple of minutes. The F3, on the other hand, it comfortable for me, a fun ride and worth the burden of less storage space. Your decision may be different, but if you don't check ride the different options making the wrong choice is a real possibility.

I wanted a manual trans also but don't have any heartache with the F3's semi-automatic gearbox. Paddle shifting works.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black