Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wheel Nut Socket

Someone posted on another forum about a 2 1/2" SAE Socket fit perfect on the Rally Wheel Nut. I picked one up at Northern Tool yesterday for $22 as well as the 3/4" to 1/2" adapter. I will report back on the fit when I pick up my Rally Friday. The socket is chrome and is made very well. We will see.

Spyder Garage

Hi kc61 ref wheel socket I found the BRP socket is the only one that fits BRP designed the wheel nut so that only theirs will fit correctly. In UK it cast me around £160 WOW. Good luck Nico 75

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nico75 View Post
    Hi kc61 ref wheel socket I found the BRP socket is the only one that fits BRP designed the wheel nut so that only theirs will fit correctly. In UK it cast me around £160 WOW. Good luck Nico 75
    I put a plastic bag on the nut and it makes the socket a snug fit and also protects the nut. I bought a cheap 65mm for $28 with shipping, and have used it several times and works perfectly. Funny thing, is I bought it on Ebay from a place in England!
    Last edited by poli; 05-23-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Clarify socket size
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

The nut is standard 12 point 65mm.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

If 65mm is proper size , 2 1/2” is 63.5 mm so would be too small.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    I think 62mm is proper size, 2 1/2” is 63.5 mm so slightly oversize, hence the plastic bag.
    Actually it calls for a 65 mm which equals 2.55906 inches

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Actually it calls for a 65 mm which equals 2.55906 inches

Yes, edited my post, but then 2.5” is too small.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    Yes, edited my post, but then 2.5” is too small.
    No, it's a little too big

Spyder Garage

Most sockets that large have some slop. At least some 2.5 sockets are known to fit. YMMV.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

FYI, tried the 2 1/2" SAE today and it fits perfect for $22 at Northern Tool

Spyder Garage

Question Wheel Nut Socket???

Someone posted on another forum about a 2 1/2" SAE Socket fit perfect on the Rally Wheel Nut. I picked one up at Northern Tool yesterday for $22 as well as the 3/4" to 1/2" adapter. I will report back on the fit when I pick up my Rally Friday. The socket is chrome and is made very well. We will see.
    So I read this thread, I came away with me scratching my head. 1st, I have used bikes, trikes, mopeds, and motorcycles, and never had a serious flat tire issue. Saying that I always had a plan to be able to change a flat tire. I can't phantom why BRP, would expect their riders to be stranded on the side of the road without a way to immediately change out a flat tire, anywhere or anytime. If You will need a BRP socket #529036457, and a torque wrench that goes to 300 nm (221 #lbs). Plus a large external snap ring plyers. These need to be purchased or supplied! Keep in mind as of lately there has been issues that wheels have been falling off Rykers! So don't forget to use strong zip tie straps on those external snap rings that supposedly secure the tires. This is my first post on this forum, so please be kind, if I am wrong please help me understand this issue better. Even since The Can-Am Spyder came out I have followed them, never been able to afford one, I am praying that I can get a new Ryker. Please wish me luck and hope fate is on my side :-) Oh btw why is the Ryker called a "RYKER", what is the story behind the name?? ~Andy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJELLIOTTJr View Post
    So I read this thread, I came away with me scratching my head. 1st, I have used bikes, trikes, mopeds, and motorcycles, and never had a serious flat tire issue. Saying that I always had a plan to be able to change a flat tire. I can't phantom why BRP, would expect their riders to be stranded on the side of the road without a way to immediately change out a flat tire, anywhere or anytime. If You will need a BRP socket #529036457, and a torque wrench that goes to 300 nm (221 #lbs). Plus a large external snap ring plyers. These need to be purchased or supplied! Keep in mind as of lately there has been issues that wheels have been falling off Rykers! So don't forget to use strong zip tie straps on those external snap rings that supposedly secure the tires. This is my first post on this forum, so please be kind, if I am wrong please help me understand this issue better. Even since The Can-Am Spyder came out I have followed them, never been able to afford one, I am praying that I can get a new Ryker. Please wish me luck and hope fate is on my side :-) Oh btw why is the Ryker called a "RYKER", what is the story behind the name?? ~Andy
    Snap ring pliers are not necessary to remove the keeper ring. Just grab the end with the loop and lift it up and off the hub with your hand. I did mine yesterday and with my bad wrist if I can do it anyone can. Replacement is the reverse of removal
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Stay in your lane Bro. Not sure why CanAm doesn't supply the $160 socket with the bike. But we found a great alternative for $22. But if you have a flat out in the middle of no where you better have this socket with you because no one else will. No need for snap ring pliers to remove the keeper, it will pop right off with a screw driver. When you get your Ryker it will all make sense.

Spyder Garage

This whole 'Ryker Wheel Falling Off' is a tempest in a teapot. People speaking about subjects for which the have little understanding. You can zip tie your snap rings. But it is far from necessary. Might make you feel better. But that is about as far as it will go.

Flats, however, are a worthy subject. Not common. But I've had them on 2 wheels. I think less likely on 3. Especially if you run car tires. Having the socket is probably not a bad idea. But you're still going to need to come up with torque wrench that will go to 250 lb ft or better. I run Ride-On. Mostly for balance. But just another Ace in the Hole for potential flats.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Most tire shops will have the torque wrench but I can just about guarantee they won't have the socket. So I will be carrying the socket and 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and all should be good. Now, if the tire is beyond repair then that is another issue since these tires are such an odd size. The other option is to get Roadside Assistance which the Ryker comes with standard for 1 year.

Spyder Garage

I had the chance to try the 65mm Hub-Nut socket (from Ebay) and the 2-1/2 inch SAE from Northern Tools side by side on my Rally today. The 65 mm is conventional 12 point flat drive and the 2-1/2 inch NT socket is 12 point surface drive (rounded flutes). The NT 2-1/2 inch socket is a much better fit with no slop at all. The 65mm socket would require the plastic bag spacer to take up the extra space.

My research (the internet wouldn't lie) indicates that surface drive is designed to put the stress on the flats of the nut rather than the corners and reduces potential damage to the nut; an advantage at 221 +/- 11 ft/lb of torque. Both would work but the NT socket is cheaper ($22) vs about $28 with shipping for the Ebay model. I will be selling the 65mm socket if anybody wants it; make an offer.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

The youtube hero was more than a few drinks into his cup when he started his mini series, but another member of this forum recently posted that his own lug nut was improperly secured so I don’t think we can dismiss the possibility of problems, but we can avoid issues with some due diligence.

I ordered the 65 mm 12 pt socket on ebay. The total cost delivered to my home from the U.K. Was around $46. That socket, a tire plug kit and either canned air or very small inflator pump will go in my trunk with vice grips and some duct tape. Mainly because vice grips and duct tape have bailed me out a few times in 38 years of riding.

Torque wrench? That is for service in the shop. I’ve removed wheels and all sorts of things over the years using an improvised torque spec of “pretty damn tight”. I never even owned a torque wrench until 3-4 years ago but my Harley hasn’t rattled itself apart. i agree with torquing the nut to spec as part of a permanent repair but I’m guessing the clip ring makes a bigger difference than the exact torque spec for emergency roadside field repairs.

Roadside assistance has left some people waiting roadside 5 plus hours and a few hundred in unreimbursed towing, probably geography based so plan accordingly. I have waited as much as 2 1/2 hours for AAA to show up for a car tow, on the outskirts of Lexington, Ky (Ky second largest city). Good to have the service but it is what it is.

Spyder Garage

I bought the 2 1/2' socket. Seams to fit OK.

Spyder Garage

FYI, tried the 2 1/2" SAE today and it fits perfect for $22 at Northern Tool
    Thanks for the info, I going to buy a socket and 3/4 torque wrench, not only for possibly flats but tires should be rotated for best wear. I like having the right tools for the job.

Spyder Garage

I ordered one yesterday. They also sell a mini torque multiplier that would be nice to have and make it easier to remove.

Spyder Garage

I ordered mine this morning. Any suggestions on a torque wrench?
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith8695 View Post
    I have a Craftsman with the digital read out. I like it a lot. Here's a link

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-2-...p-00913919000P

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind as of lately there has been issues that wheels have been falling off Rykers!
    You make it sound as if it's an epidemic. I only know of one guy who claimed it happened. Since the Ryker does not come off the assembly line with the wheels attached, I'd have to lay blame with the dealership for failing to follow BRP's specifications for installing the wheels.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith8695 View Post
    I ordered this one on ebay.https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-DR-MICR...oAAOSw5xhcUNZa
    Seems like I saw a better price a few weeks ago, but still not to bad.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
    I ordered this one on ebay.https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-DR-MICR...oAAOSw5xhcUNZa
    Seems like I saw a better price a few weeks ago, but still not to bad.
    Let us know how it works for you. It looks to me like it's kind of short. Can you pull 150 lbs? If the handle is only 18" long you have to pull about 150# on the handle to reach 220 lb-ft torque. That's why I suggested in another thread to get the torque multiplier from Northern Tool and use a 1/2" drive torque wrench. Lot less pull required.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2282_200712282

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)