Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Queensbury, NY
    Posts
    455
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Seeking Advice From Spyder Ryding Snowbirds

    With this long winter and slow-to-get-going spring, I'm considering becoming a snowbird for at least part of the winter next year or the year after. Obviously, one thing I will want to do is ride my Spyder while I'm getting thru the winter in a warmer climate.

    Now, I have no ties to any particular state or region, so I'm looking for ideas and thoughts about where to spend 2 or 3 winter months that offers a) temps in at least the mid 50's and above, and b) interesting ryding roads with minimal (or at least less than "heavy") traffic.

    I live in the northeast US so would prefer a location in the eastern half of the country. Please be as specific as possible with your recommendations. Plus I'd love to hear of any personal experiences you might have about the area!

    I'm just starting the process of thinking this thru. If/when I get to specific planning stages, I'll be looking for advice on trailering the Spyder, how to pack and what to bring etc. But let's leave those things for discussion at a later time.

    So, does anyone have a recommended locale for me to research?

    Thanks!
    Bert


  2. #2
    Very Active Member DGoebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Faribault, MN
    Posts
    1,825
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Might get a bit crowded where ever you get a good report from....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2013 RT Limited, Pearl White
    Farkles too numerous to list
    See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

  3. #3
    Active Member F650624's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX/Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    58
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    This could get as interesting as which gas, tires, battery or oil to use. Check out Texas Hill Country.

  4. #4
    Active Member Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Durham,Maine
    Posts
    385
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F650624 View Post
    This could get as interesting as which gas, tires, battery or oil to use. Check out Texas Hill Country.
    This is what I was just thinking!!

  5. #5
    Member new adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Belleville Ontario Canada
    Posts
    24
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    We been spending winters in central Florida. Mt Dora Florida you can be on the back roads in no time and go for miles .Greatarea for bikes.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,313
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Some go to Arizona, Southern California, Las Vegas. A nice place we visit in winter is Borrego Springs, Ca. The Southwest has a lot to offer in the winter but even here you must be mindful of elevation. Las Vegas has ski slopes in the mountains.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650

  7. #7
    Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    Posts
    1,002
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by new adventure View Post
    We been spending winters in central Florida. Mt Dora Florida you can be on the back roads in no time and go for miles .Great area for bikes.
    I have a winter home near Crescent City FL. about 50 miles to Daytona, Jacksonville, Orlando. If you wanted to go to a bigger city they are only an hour away. Daytona has a bike week that brings in about 500,000 or more people each year. But the main roads and back roads that run by many lakes are beautiful in Jan. Feb. Mar. and Apr.. You have long flat stretches or curvy back roads. RT. 17 in Florida has many small cities and towns. Cost of living there is what you make it. You can find very inexpensive places if you want and are willing. Or if that's not an issue get a condo on the beach. Good luck with your research.

  8. #8
    Active Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Keene, ON, Canada and/or Leesburg, FL
    Posts
    337
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Hi Bert:
    I see that my friend Al (new adventure; post 5 above) has chimed in to recommend Central Florida, specifically the Mt Dora area. We have a winter place not far away, in Leesburg, FL. We have hauled our F3L down for the past 2 winters, and really loved every minute of it. In fact, I bought Al's used trailer to make this possible, when he moved up to a toy hauler (Thanks again Al). You can pretty much find great ryding of the sort you want (scenic back roads, light/moderate traffic) just about anywhere up and down the interior of the state. Lot of secondary highways that show you the 'Old Florida', where trees still arch over the roads and wind through farm country and smaller towns with fun eateries. Very different from coastal FL, but many wonderful old fishing port towns there too. Lots of friendly riding clubs - Spyder oriented, or mixed with Wings, Harleys, Yam's, Suzi's etc., and temps in your desired range. Our decision to haul south was based on making the best/most use of our expensive toy for the greatest amount of time. Continuous ryding fun!! There are other places/states where you could equally do this.

    I head south in late Oct/early Nov (wife comes later, after Christmas). I make a point of stopping off for several days of riding the hills in WV, NC, TN, SC, GA; love it so much I may even take more time next trip. Fall ryding in those beautiful hills is superb; weather usually has cooperated. I'd try it on the way back north, too, if April weather was a bit more reliable/cooperative and tax filing was not as pressing. So, one thing you might want to consider while doing your planning is not just the riding you will do in your final, chosen destination state, but also some areas that will be of interest along the way. Of course, you could just ride your F3T there and not even have to trailer it, but hauling it can also give you options beyond just your final point.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NorEastern, Washington
    Posts
    140
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Bert...

    While the Southeast sound like it has nice riding in the winter, I see a lot of post here complaining about the rainy days. I have decided to look for desert property in Arizona, New Mexico, or West Texas. Looking for 5-20 acres and don't care if I have power, or water. I have solutions for those. I just want somewhere where I can leave the great white north from after Christmas to about the end of April. I live in the country here and don't want to park the motorhome in RV or retirement parks where I have to look out my window right into someone else's window, or worse, their sewer line. Working on a tow dolly to pull the Spyder, Jeep, and boat behind the motorhome for my yearly trek. Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Dolly.jpg
    Regards,

    Don

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    full time RV'er on the road
    Posts
    164
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Hi Newbert
    We are fulltime RVers who just travel. Here is my 2 cents after living on the road for 7 years.
    Florida would be close to you and is a friendly riding state with reasonable traffic in the interior of the state. The coastline is a nightmare. The riding is about as interesting as yesterdays hamburger.
    The Texas Hill country is interesting riding but you will need your coat in the winter.
    Our favorite for weather and riding is the Phoenix area. California, as mentioned earlier is a great suggestion but expensive and even farther for you. We love the desert! The dry climate and sunshine make you get up every morning with a bounce (well that my be a stretch). Sshirtssleeve weather almost all the time. The riding is great but you will have to get used to long distances. From the Phoenix area you have 3 directions of wonderful riding with interesting towns and wide open spaces.
    We live in a motorhome and pull a pickup with our ST in the back. We have a Triple D Lift and Load in the back of the truck to load and unload the Spyder. We're to old for that ramp stuff. More info if you want it.

  11. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Oakley, Utah & Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    5,350
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    With this long winter and slow-to-get-going spring, I'm considering becoming a snowbird for at least part of the winter next year or the year after. Obviously, one thing I will want to do is ride my Spyder while I'm getting thru the winter in a warmer climate.

    Now, I have no ties to any particular state or region, so I'm looking for ideas and thoughts about where to spend 2 or 3 winter months that offers a) temps in at least the mid 50's and above, and b) interesting ryding roads with minimal (or at least less than "heavy") traffic.

    I live in the northeast US so would prefer a location in the eastern half of the country. Please be as specific as possible with your recommendations. Plus I'd love to hear of any personal experiences you might have about the area!

    I'm just starting the process of thinking this thru. If/when I get to specific planning stages, I'll be looking for advice on trailering the Spyder, how to pack and what to bring etc. But let's leave those things for discussion at a later time.

    So, does anyone have a recommended locale for me to research?

    Thanks!
    Snowbirding takes many forms. It took us 5 years to figure out just exactly what we wanted and made some expensive mistakes along the way. Do you want a home, an empty lot, a 'community', urban, suburban, rural? Do you want to buy or rent a place? How much space do you need to park your vehicles and toys? What can your budget handle?

    2014 RTL Platinum & 2014 RTL Cognac
    Northern Utah in summer; Yuma, AZ in winter.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Wichita Kansas
    Posts
    13
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Try southern arkansas-into missisipy great ridingg and senery--from kansas for an old rider--royce--wallburl--

  13. #13
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    133
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Bert...

    While the Southeast sound like it has nice riding in the winter, I see a lot of post here complaining about the rainy days. I have decided to look for desert property in Arizona, New Mexico, or West Texas. Looking for 5-20 acres and don't care if I have power, or water. I have solutions for those. I just want somewhere where I can leave the great white north from after Christmas to about the end of April. I live in the country here and don't want to park the motorhome in RV or retirement parks where I have to look out my window right into someone else's window, or worse, their sewer line. Working on a tow dolly to pull the Spyder, Jeep, and boat behind the motorhome for my yearly trek. Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Dolly.jpg
    Regards,

    Don
    The East mountains around Albuquerque where I live will give you about 11months of riding. If there's no snow on the ground, I'm riding. We don't get a lot of rain here either. Sunny almost all year long.

  14. #14
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Queensbury, NY
    Posts
    455
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Snowbirding takes many forms. It took us 5 years to figure out just exactly what we wanted and made some expensive mistakes along the way. Do you want a home, an empty lot, a 'community', urban, suburban, rural? Do you want to buy or rent a place? How much space do you need to park your vehicles and toys? What can your budget handle?
    Thanks for all of the input so far, everyone! Keep it coming.

    Pete, thgis idea of mine isn't much more than a gleam in the eye at this point, so I can't answer all of the questions you posed.

    But I know that I'm talking about renting for two months or so. Probably one bedroom/bath (It's just me...). Just the basics. I'd prefer suburban. Parking required for one car + Spyder. Budget is hard to determine right now, but $1k - $2K/month would be nice.
    Bert


  15. #15
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Queensbury, NY
    Posts
    455
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wallburl View Post
    Try southern arkansas-into missisipy great ridingg and senery--from kansas for an old rider--royce--wallburl--
    Hmmm...wasn't considering this area, but it might be interesting. What are usual temps in February/March?
    Bert


  16. #16
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Queensbury, NY
    Posts
    455
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Hi Newbert
    We are fulltime RVers who just travel. Here is my 2 cents after living on the road for 7 years.
    Florida would be close to you and is a friendly riding state with reasonable traffic in the interior of the state. The coastline is a nightmare. The riding is about as interesting as yesterdays hamburger.
    The Texas Hill country is interesting riding but you will need your coat in the winter.
    Our favorite for weather and riding is the Phoenix area. California, as mentioned earlier is a great suggestion but expensive and even farther for you. We love the desert! The dry climate and sunshine make you get up every morning with a bounce (well that my be a stretch). Sshirtssleeve weather almost all the time. The riding is great but you will have to get used to long distances. From the Phoenix area you have 3 directions of wonderful riding with interesting towns and wide open spaces.
    We live in a motorhome and pull a pickup with our ST in the back. We have a Triple D Lift and Load in the back of the truck to load and unload the Spyder. We're to old for that ramp stuff. More info if you want it.
    Thanks for your feedback. Honestly, Texas, southwest desert etc sound great, but too far for me. (I'm in the northeast). I hear you loud and clear about Florida coastline. Luckily, I'm not a beach person. (Don't hate it, but don't need it either...) So, Florida's interior would be fine. - But you say the riding in Fla is boring? (I was kind of concerned about that...).
    Bert


  17. #17
    Very Active Member PW2013STL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ST Bonifacius, MN
    Posts
    3,002
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Hi Newbert,

    We were in the same place as you. After this winter we decided to find a place to stay for next winter, We had visited friends in Arizona two years ago and liked the desert. Lots of roads I wanted to try on a Spyder.
    This year we visited friends in Florada and although it was nice There wasn't one road that I wished I had a Spyder to drive it. Not saying there are not any roads that would be fun on a Spyder - I just did not find them in the two weeks we drove around there.
    We chouse to rent a place by Masa for 4 months. We got lucky and found one as most want 5 to 6 months rent.
    If you are looking for only a month or two consider a extended stay motel.

    I purchased a folding trke/spyder trailer so we can take one F3 with us. We live in a townhouse and are not allowed to park a trailer outside so I needed something I could keep in the garage.

    Good luck on your search!
    2015 F3S, 2018 F3L

    Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?

  18. #18
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Queensbury, NY
    Posts
    455
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Hi Newbert,

    We were in the same place as you. After this winter we decided to find a place to stay for next winter, We had visited friends in Arizona two years ago and liked the desert. Lots of roads I wanted to try on a Spyder.
    This year we visited friends in Florada and although it was nice There wasn't one road that I wished I had a Spyder to drive it. Not saying there are not any roads that would be fun on a Spyder - I just did not find them in the two weeks we drove around there.
    We chouse to rent a place by Masa for 4 months. We got lucky and found one as most want 5 to 6 months rent.
    If you are looking for only a month or two consider a extended stay motel.

    I purchased a folding trke/spyder trailer so we can take one F3 with us. We live in a townhouse and are not allowed to park a trailer outside so I needed something I could keep in the garage.

    Good luck on your search!
    I also live in a townhouse with the same rules. Which specific trailer did you purchase?

    And thank for your thoughts on the Florida roads. It sort of confirms my suspicions.
    Bert


  19. #19
    Very Active Member PW2013STL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ST Bonifacius, MN
    Posts
    3,002
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I also live in a townhouse with the same rules. Which specific trailer did you purchase?

    And thank for your thoughts on the Florida roads. It sort of confirms my suspicions.
    I went with the Kendon Spyder trailer based on it being 150# lighter thinking I could set it up on end by myself - wrong! I added an electric wrench to my garage ceiling and now can do it alone. If I had known that I would have purchased the drop-tail trailer as that one is about $700 less
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3S, 2018 F3L

    Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?

  20. #20
    Active Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Keene, ON, Canada and/or Leesburg, FL
    Posts
    337
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I also live in a townhouse with the same rules. Which specific trailer did you purchase?

    And thank for your thoughts on the Florida roads. It sort of confirms my suspicions.
    Well, Bert, before you totally make up your mind about the (so-called) "dull/uninteresting FL roads" without even trying them out, here's what I suggest you do: come down to the "interior lakes area" of FL, anywhere between Ocala and Orlando; rent a place for a week or two, and go out and ride the COUNTY roads - not the Interstate or state roads, etc. Get your butt out into the farming countryside and visit the smaller places. If you like, stop by my place, and I'll take you for a series of rides that will amaze you. My friends and relatives who visit tell me they "never knew this part of FL existed". That's a common reaction. It's rolling land with gentle hills, enough twists and turns to practice your riding skills, pretty little 'out-of-the-way' eateries, lots of fresh water lakes of good size, and often not much traffic. Maybe I've been spoiled by getting myself 'adopted' into the Hump Day Riders of Tavares, and being taken on rides by group captains who continuously amaze even veteran riders with the 'undiscovered' routes they take us on; Gary and Jim are amazing. And they're not alone. I've met many others, snowbirds who ride with other Central Florida clubs who say the same. So, I just think you're selling yourself short by not checking any area, in person, for yourself before deciding. Kind of like buying a seat or windshield for your bike based on how it suits somebody else. Not intending to disrespect others for their opinions; they're just responding as you requested. But, they obviously are doing so on very short, far from in depth exploration. In fact, you really ought to allow yourself a 'test season' or two in several areas before making any long-term commitment. We lived 3 winters in Leesburg before we thought of it as a reasonably decent long-term winter escape solution, and only after that did we even bring the Spyder into the mix. And only, then, did we even begin to discover those back road riding pleasures we hadn't even realized were all around us. Takes a long time to really get to know and appreciate ANY area for its true treasures. And personal preference decisions can only come from your own trial and error over time. FL works for us. That's just our personal reaction. It does have great riding, IF you get out into the back country, and use the COUNTY roads. We do visit the coasts from time to time, but pick the smaller port towns; we stay away from the Interstate whenever possible, and try to avoid major State highways. If that's all we ever saw, I'd probably have said the same as others. But we've been lucky to have been shown other paths by knowledgeable locals... and they are truly delightful. Not perfect, but a lot of fun!!!

    Most of all (speaking as a snowbird), there are no snowdrifts to climb over, no ice to slip on, a real chance to ryde most days (except for rain), and only a need to pull on a sweater if temps drop.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside

  21. #21
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Queensbury, NY
    Posts
    455
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Well, Bert, before you totally make up your mind about the (so-called) "dull/uninteresting FL roads" without even trying them out, here's what I suggest you do: come down to the "interior lakes area" of FL, anywhere between Ocala and Orlando; rent a place for a week or two, and go out and ride the COUNTY roads - not the Interstate or state roads, etc. Get your butt out into the farming countryside and visit the smaller places. If you like, stop by my place, and I'll take you for a series of rides that will amaze you. My friends and relatives who visit tell me they "never knew this part of FL existed". That's a common reaction. It's rolling land with gentle hills, enough twists and turns to practice your riding skills, pretty little 'out-of-the-way' eateries, lots of fresh water lakes of good size, and often not much traffic. Maybe I've been spoiled by getting myself 'adopted' into the Hump Day Riders of Tavares, and being taken on rides by group captains who continuously amaze even veteran riders with the 'undiscovered' routes they take us on; Gary and Jim are amazing. And they're not alone. I've met many others, snowbirds who ride with other Central Florida clubs who say the same. So, I just think you're selling yourself short by not checking any area, in person, for yourself before deciding. Kind of like buying a seat or windshield for your bike based on how it suits somebody else. Not intending to disrespect others for their opinions; they're just responding as you requested. But, they obviously are doing so on very short, far from in depth exploration. In fact, you really ought to allow yourself a 'test season' or two in several areas before making any long-term commitment. We lived 3 winters in Leesburg before we thought of it as a reasonably decent long-term winter escape solution, and only after that did we even bring the Spyder into the mix. And only, then, did we even begin to discover those back road riding pleasures we hadn't even realized were all around us. Takes a long time to really get to know and appreciate ANY area for its true treasures. And personal preference decisions can only come from your own trial and error over time. FL works for us. That's just our personal reaction. It does have great riding, IF you get out into the back country, and use the COUNTY roads. We do visit the coasts from time to time, but pick the smaller port towns; we stay away from the Interstate whenever possible, and try to avoid major State highways. If that's all we ever saw, I'd probably have said the same as others. But we've been lucky to have been shown other paths by knowledgeable locals... and they are truly delightful. Not perfect, but a lot of fun!!!

    Most of all (speaking as a snowbird), there are no snowdrifts to climb over, no ice to slip on, a real chance to ryde most days (except for rain), and only a need to pull on a sweater if temps drop.
    Yup - you're right. No offense intended.

    TBH, I was thinking along the same lines when the germ of the idea of snowbirding first popped into my head. I figured that next winter, I'd choose an area or two to explore (No Spyder) to see what might be a good fit for spending more time in (WITH the Spyder) starting in the '20-'21 winter.

    Looking at the map of your area of Florida does reveal lots of fresh water lakes (which I like). My experience in Florida is mostly what you outlined - Interstates and coastline. Plus I spent 3 weeks in the Ocala area in the late 70's during the month of AUGUST. So, I didn't get to see much of the interior at that time since I spent my time indoors in the AC! So, you're right that I need to check things out for myself ahead of time and at the right time of year....

    Thanks.
    Bert


  22. #22
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Oakley, Utah & Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    5,350
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Thanks for all of the input so far, everyone! Keep it coming.

    Pete, thgis idea of mine isn't much more than a gleam in the eye at this point, so I can't answer all of the questions you posed.

    But I know that I'm talking about renting for two months or so. Probably one bedroom/bath (It's just me...). Just the basics. I'd prefer suburban. Parking required for one car + Spyder. Budget is hard to determine right now, but $1k - $2K/month would be nice.
    Okay, folks. How about some specifics on why your particular favored snowbirding destination might be the best option for the OP?

    2014 RTL Platinum & 2014 RTL Cognac
    Northern Utah in summer; Yuma, AZ in winter.

  23. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Queensbury, NY
    Posts
    455
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Okay, all you Floridians. How about focusing in on the OP's question instead of debating the wisdom of wintering in Florida?
    FWIW - I don't that the Florida discussion is off-topic at all. After all, one of my main questions was where should I consider snowbirding. <shrug>
    Bert


  24. #24
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Oakley, Utah & Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    5,350
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    FWIW - I don't that the Florida discussion is off-topic at all. After all, one of my main questions was where should I consider snowbirding. <shrug>
    You're right. I've edited my post.

    2014 RTL Platinum & 2014 RTL Cognac
    Northern Utah in summer; Yuma, AZ in winter.

  25. #25
    Very Active Member PaladinLV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    875
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Az!

    Aj


    2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •