Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    The East mountains around Albuquerque where I live will give you about 11months of riding. If there's no snow on the ground, I'm riding. We don't get a lot of rain here either. Sunny almost all year long.
    I have been looking around Truth or Consequences. I like the idea of having lakes in the area to do a little fishing. Lived in the RG valley outside Las Cruces for (4)yrs while working at White Sands MR. Had snow a couple of times, but could ride year round otherwise.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Newbert...thanks for starting this thread!
    I'm following with great interest, as in a similar boat...we're done with NJ and ready for some warmer temps and year-round riding. Probably more interested in a full relo vs snowbirding...

We just spent 2 weeks from Easter to Cinco de Mayo traveling (in a cage, sadly, but at least it was a convertible Camaro SS !!!) from Jacksonville thru Gainesville to Cedar Key (on the Gulf coast) and then down the coast thru Clearwater/St Pete, Bradenton/Sarasota and then Ft Myers/Sanibel. We really liked certain areas like Tarpon Springs (north of Clearwater) and Bradenton, but overall was left thinking that it was very flat and straight and maybe kind of boring. Also a good amount of traffic on non-hwy roads.

Bushrat...your assessment from Leesburg and interior seems quite different and maybe worth another look.

We are possibly considering looking in the Pensacola area as an option, in order to be closer (by 3-5 hours) to some riding with elevation changes and quicker ability for out-of-state and cross country touring.

Others possibility include Albuquerque/Santa Fe, LV/Reno, not sure about Arizona.
    Any other thoughts/opinions are welcome!

Fulltimer...ok to reach out direct to talk about your experience living 'on the road'?
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Rich, Don and others who have been following this thread:

Please don't misunderstand the intent of my comments above. I am not suggesting that Florida is the best or only place for winter riding to help a snowbird avoid the winter blahs. I'm only trying to make the point that FL is not necessarily dull, uninteresting and only made up of high-traffic coastal cities. It has lots to offer, for those who want to explore inland. Many other states have much to offer as well, but usually this takes a bit of homework and looking beyond the obvious. I'm sure there are resident SL members from FL who can explain this much better than I, but I'm just offering this Canadian snowbird's perspective in response to Newbert's request. Took me a while to learn about some of the fun rides I believe FL (at least in my "Lake District" area), has to offer. Here are a couple of examples; there are many, many more. Far from dull and boring. I'm attaching a couple of ride maps to illustrate:
    astor0001.jpg
    floral0001.jpg

One shows a 3-hour, 120-mile ride, leaving my FL home in Leesburg, heading up through Emeralda marsh, then along the western side of Ocala National Forest. Much of this is on County roads. State Rd 40 takes me east to Astor, and a great spot for lunch at the Blackwater Inn, alongside the pretty St. John River. Then back down through the forest to Altoona, and more County roads to very pretty Mount Dora, a delightful spot to visit. Then home through farm lands and along the south shore of Lake Harris. Maybe a stop at Howey-in-the-hills, at another great lakeside retreat, J B Boondocks.

Another great place to see on a country ride is Floral City. Great place to have lunch at Shamrock Inn; very popular with bikers- both those with motors and those who pedal. Situated right beside the fabulous Withlacoochee State Trail, a converted railway bed now highly popular with hikers and pedal-types. One of the nicest trails we've found. My map shows an 80-minute ride of 55 miles with plenty of twists along E Gobbler Dr, then down the Istachatta Rd which parallels the bike trail. (Istachatta is very popular with the sport bike crowd, so can't be all that dull.) You can find your way cross-country to Sugar Mill Woods, then back to Floral City, much of which again is on back roads through "Old Florida".

Here are a couple of links to photos and Google Map views:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fl...!4d-82.2968674

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8922...7i13312!8i6656

Hope this helps others to feel as I do that interior FL has lots to offer bikers who wish to have fun rides and explore. I think the real message though, is that wherever you ride, it takes time and effort to look beyond the obvious to find the road less travelled and more satisfying. I wouldn't have known about these places were it not for guys like Gary, Jim and the Hump Day gang who kindly showed me that such places do exist, even in Florida. And, the best part about it all is the camaraderie of this bunch when we 'do lunch' along the way.

(I hasten to add that all of the above is said by a guy who would be happy simply to spend the rest of his riding days wandering around the mountain roads of TN, NC, SC, GA, WV. That is where my riding heart soars every moment. I spend a week doing that on my way to FL; if winter wasn't chasing me further south, I might just stay in them thar hills forever!!)

Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I are going to be retired for good this time next year and are going to Florida again this July to check out the central and North central parts. Selling our land on the Gulf coast and looking to go inland. A little cheaper there as well.

We have driven around and have found some pretty nice roads but the boring ones seem to dominate what we've seen so far. Also wondering if anyone has had experience riding any distance on some of the sand driveways and roads.

We lived in Mesa, AZ for six years and I love the desert southwest. However, the problem of long term water supply and the prospect of ever hotter weather makes me hesitant to buy there. The riding though, is some of the most scenic in the country.

Every place has its pros and cons and I'm following along to read other's opinions. Looking forward to more comments.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Thanks for all of the input so far, everyone! Keep it coming.

Pete, thgis idea of mine isn't much more than a gleam in the eye at this point, so I can't answer all of the questions you posed.

But I know that I'm talking about renting for two months or so. Probably one bedroom/bath (It's just me...). Just the basics. I'd prefer suburban. Parking required for one car + Spyder. Budget is hard to determine right now, but $1k - $2K/month would be nice.
    Find some other snowbirds with RVs that stay in the area where you are looking at. Many times there are trailers for rent in the same RV parks where they stay or they can steer you to someone that they know who won't be going south for a winter. Usually much cheaper than an apartment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Rich, Don and others who have been following this thread:

Please don't misunderstand the intent of my comments above. I am not suggesting that Florida is the best or only place for winter riding to help a snowbird avoid the winter blahs. I'm only trying to make the point that FL is not necessarily dull, uninteresting and only made up of high-traffic coastal cities.
    No misunderstandings on my part, Bushrat! Greatly appreciate the perspective and info!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know you said you prefer the proximity of the east coast and I can't help you there. But, all the other considerations you mentioned could be easily accomplished in Arizona, particularly the various snowbird communities there. Jane and I just sold our place near St. George, Utah and bought a lot in Yuma, Arizona. The winter climate and proximity to great riding and low cost of living are very appealing.
    2014 RTL Platinum