Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried Hankook VENTUS V4 ES H105 - SIZE: 175/55R15

I am new to the Spyder community having purchased my 2015 RT Limited just 3 weeks ago. Finally got about 800 miles on the new to me Spyder now and I am beginning to see that some get OK/good stock Kenda tires and some do not. Apparently I did not. I am getting a 60mph wobble in the handlebars. The wobble frequency increases with speed. Sooo, I am going to pull the front wheel/tires off and take them in for a re-balance job first. If they need to be re-balanced, l will give that a try first. If I get the same wobble, the stock Kenda tires are gonna go. HOWEVER, if they tell me that they do not need to be re-balanced, they will go. I'm looking for a symmetrical directional tire to replace the fronts like the Hankook VENTUS V4 ES H105 - SIZE: 175/55R15. I believe this is a +2.3% over the stock 165/55R15 Kenda. As I am the third owner of this 2015 RT Limited with only 2,500 miles, it really makes me wonder if the wobble issue was the reason the first two owners traded it back in?!?! Will keep you posted during the next couple of weeks. We will be attending the American Voyager Associations 2019 Rally in Summersville, West Virginia June 24 - 27, 2019 so I want to get this problem sorted out prior to the trip. I have been reading the "tire threads" and trying to gain some knowledge through all the info posted. I see that there are other favored tires like the Federal Formoza AZ01, General Altimax RT43, Vredestein Quatrac 5 and the Yokohama S.drive. I really like the symmetrical directional tires and believe they shed water better. Comments welcome ....

UPDATE 05/28/19

https://www.hondaws.com/

TIRES! Mega kudos to Honda, Sea Do and Can-Am of Winston Salem, NC! A Platinum dealer and the largest in the tri-state area. Their top Spyder Technician, Steve, has been working on Spyders since they first came out in 2008. He's a great guy and will take the time to talk to the customer and show them what he's doing. Although they are 1.25 hours and about 65 miles from the house, I rode there and had them install a pair of Hankook Ventus V4 ES - 175/55R15 77T Tires I had purchased from Discount Tire. They also performed a belt alignment and 3-wheel laser alignment. WOW! What a difference! It's like a completely different machine now. No more shake or wobble in the handlebars or mirrors. Although the stock Kendas only had 3k on them, I told them to trash 'em.

AND ... they offer Military/Veteran discounts.

Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have them on my 2015 RTL and love them.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    I have them on my 2015 RTL and love them.
    What did you put on the rear? I'm looking at a Kumho ESTCA 771 in 215/55R15 or possibly a Firestone Champion HR in 205/50R15.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired

Spyder Garage

I have them on my 2013 RT-S on the rear I went with Yokohama S-Drive
    the combination works great. I didn't like the Kumho. I will be putting second Yokohama S-Drive on next week. Hope this helps.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I have the Hankook’s on the front and a General Altimax on the rear. I love the combination!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

By all means double check the tire balancing. However, I would strongly suggest you consider a laser alignment of the front end. Also check the ball joints too. I had several of them go bad on my 2008 GS. However, they went bad because the front end was so badly misaligned it caused the premature wear.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wheel alignment cured my new bike wobble.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Yeah guys and gals, thanks! Being that the trike had only 2,500 miles on it when I bought it, I find it hard to believe there is anything wrong with it mechanically, So, my main suspect is the tires. I know that anything is possible with a used vehicle, BUT, come on! I'm the 3rd owner of a 2,500 mile 2015 RTL and it has a wobble problem!?!? Unless one of the "other" guys whacked a curb or something ... I dunno. I have the front tires in my truck now. I'm going to Discount Tire in the morning to have them checked for balance and run-out. We'll see from there. I'll keep you posted.

By the way ... just how are you supposed to jack-up a Spyder? I jacked each A-arm and put a stack of 2x4's under the bottom of the shock. Iz zat right?
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yeah guys and gals, thanks! Being that the trike had only 2,500 miles on it when I bought it, I find it hard to believe there is anything wrong with it mechanically, So, my main suspect is the tires. I know that anything is possible with a used vehicle, BUT, come on! I'm the 3rd owner of a 2,500 mile 2015 RTL and it has a wobble problem!?!? Unless one of the "other" guys whacked a curb or something ... I dunno. I have the front tires in my truck now. I'm going to Discount Tire in the morning to have them checked for balance and run-out. We'll see from there. I'll keep you posted.

By the way ... just how are you supposed to jack-up a Spyder? I jacked each A-arm and put a stack of 2x4's under the bottom of the shock. Iz zat right?
    Spyders should be jacked up using the Frame, just like most cars and trks ….. Suspension pieces aren't the strongest part of your Spyder ….. What I do is raise the Spyder using the main center Frame, then I have two Car scissor jacks that I cut the ring off and welded nuts onto …. I use my elec. drill to raise and lower the jack …… I use them to ONLY Stabilize the Spyder …………….jmho … Mike

Spyder Garage

I am still running the stock tire, haven't had to replace that yet. The only reason I had to replace the fronts is because I tore them up a year ago on the Tail of the Dragon motorcycle route in the Smokey Mountains. The Dragon cupped them so bad that when they got hot and you hit the brakes the front end felt like it wanted to shake apart.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Ignorance is bliss.. … I have 700 miles on OEM tires....no bounce , vibration etc. Cant imagine what good tires are like. Maybe in 8K mile or so I will find out!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.. … I have 700 miles on OEM tires....no bounce , vibration etc. Cant imagine what good tires are like. Maybe in 8K mile or so I will find out!
    The front tires really aren't all that bad on the Spyder, it's the rear that's seriously sub-par. IMO, if you're not a very sensitive rider, you won't really notice much difference.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Having the VENTUS V4 ES H105 tires installed, balanced and a laser alignment at Honda, Sea-Doo & Can-Am dealer in Winston Salem, NC on Tuesday the 28th of May. This is a platinum dealer and has been selling Can-Am since they first came on the market. They have a great reputation and came highly recommended by other area dealers. Can't wait!
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Spyders should be jacked up using the Frame, just like most cars and trks ….. Suspension pieces aren't the strongest part of your Spyder ….. What I do is raise the Spyder using the main center Frame, then I have two Car scissor jacks that I cut the ring off and welded nuts onto …. I use my elec. drill to raise and lower the jack …… I use them to ONLY Stabilize the Spyder …………….jmho … Mike

OK, I'll agree that you "should" lift the Spyder from the center frame when possible. I have learned something else about my Spyder now. The TechSpark Service manual shows the Spyder supported by the lower A-arm with an automotive jack stand. Also, when I took my Spyder to Honda, Sea-Doo and Can-Am of Winston Salem, NC, They jacked and supported the Spyder in the same way as I did. I asked about it and was told by their most senior Spyder technician (since 2008) that this was the way Can-Am showed them how to do it. Not trying to start an argument here, just say'in that's the way it "can" be done with no harm to the Spyder.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

OK, I'll agree that you "should" lift the Spyder from the center frame when possible. I have learned something else about my Spyder now. The TechSpark Service manual shows the Spyder supported by the lower A-arm with an automotive jack stand. Also, when I took my Spyder to Honda, Sea-Doo and Can-Am of Winston Salem, NC, They jacked and supported the Spyder in the same way as I did. I asked about it and was told by their most senior Spyder technician (since 2008) that this was the way Can-Am showed them how to do it. Not trying to start an argument here, just say'in that's the way it "can" be done with no harm to the Spyder.
    There is Always a different way of doing things …. BRP shows how to " TIE " your Spyder onto a trailer …. of course BRP doesn't care one wit what gets Bent or Scratched …. after all they SELL parts ………. I see in a Thread above there is someone now selling " E " tracks and ratchet straps to secure your Spyder to a trailer …. I began telling folks here about this method ….YEARS ago …….just say'in ….. Mike .