Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RS-S to ST-S Handlebar switch

I want to switch my RS-S handlebar to the ST-S handlebar. I have talked to BRP and local dealer, they both say they should bolt right on, but they don't know if the plastic center steering cover. (fits in front and below center handlebar and covers ignition switch) will bolt to the bottom of the ST-S handlebar....So I'm hopeing I am not the first to try this and if there is someone out there that knows. Also RT handlebar should bolt on too...I am talking 2013 here, earlier bars are different....Oh, one more thing....Could the ST-S plastic center cover work instead?

Spyder Garage

This would be neat if it works
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look at the parts diagrams from Can Am, they all use the same part number on the steering column. It does appear that handlebars are now compatible across the whole 2013 model line up.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    If you look at the parts diagrams from Can Am, they all use the same part number on the steering column. It does appear that handlebars are now compatible across the whole 2013 model line up.
    I know, I have already looked it up....but I need to know if the plastic steering central cover will fit...Looks like I will have to go ahead and order it and hope it works.

Spyder Garage

I read the thread wrong. Thought you were putting new ST bars on an older rs
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is all of your wiring long enough to make this possible?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is all of your wiring long enough to make this possible?
    I can't say for sure, but from what I read about installing after market risers I would say so....I just got done ordering the 2013 ST-S handlebar center section along with all the plastic covers and hardware so I'll be finding out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, we're all pulling for you!
    PLease let us know how this project comes together!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well, we're all pulling for you!
    PLease let us know how this project comes together!
    Thanks Bob, I will.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RS-S to ST-S Handlebar switch

How about ST handlebars on a 2009 GS-SM5, is it possible?
    Shooter
    972-467-8077

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    How about ST handlebars on a 2009 GS-SM5, is it possible?
    Its possible, the 2008-2012 handlebar, bolt on... Near as I can tell with a 4 bolt adapter plate bolted to the upper steering column. Looks like if you took the adapter off, you may be able to bolt the 2013 handlebar center piece directly to the upper steering column,(same way the 2013s are) providing the bolt pattern is the same. I will be taking my 2013 handlebar off, hopefully this next week and can measure the bolt pattern.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Also, I might add if the bolt pattern is not the same, someone will probably make a adapter/riser plate, I'm guessing in the not to distant future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HuckFin View Post
    Its possible, the 2008-2012 handlebar, bolt on... Near as I can tell with a 4 bolt adapter plate bolted to the upper steering column. Looks like if you took the adapter off, you may be able to bolt the 2013 handlebar center piece directly to the upper steering column,(same way the 2013s are) providing the bolt pattern is the same. I will be taking my 2013 handlebar off, hopefully this next week and can measure the bolt pattern.
    Oooooooooo YEAH!!! This is what I'd be interested in

Spyder Garage

Default Re: 2013 RS-S to ST-S Handlebar switch

So if all the 2013s are the same, how come you can't use the adjustable bars from the 2013 RT on an ST?
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I haven't seen any reference to the RT adjustable bar in my 2013 service or parts manual...also, I won't know for sure if I can install the 2013 ST-S on my 2013 RS-S untill it finally gets here....Hopefully this week.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It fits!

I just got the 2013 ST-S handlebar and bolted it in place of the 2013 RS-S handlebar.....Perfect fit. The RS-S plastic center piece (fits around the ignition switch) bolted to the ST-S handlebar, so no problem there. If anybody orders one of these, make sure you get the R/H and L/H steering covers for the ST-S bar also the manual says to use new bolts....When I figure out how to, I'll post a picture.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it went together without a hitch for you!
    But if you REALLY want to go tall... Ape Hangers02.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Re: 2013 RS-S to ST-S Handlebar switch

Great! So I'm guessing that you CAN use the adjustable bars on any 2013. Hmmmm
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just got the 2013 ST-S handlebar and bolted it in place of the 2013 RS-S handlebar.....Perfect fit. The RS-S plastic center piece (fits around the ignition switch) bolted to the ST-S handlebar, so no problem there. If anybody orders one of these, make sure you get the R/H and L/H steering covers for the ST-S bar also the manual says to use new bolts....When I figure out how to, I'll post a picture.
    Looks like I got ahead of myself. I am going to have to trim the left and right hand plastic bottom covers and the wiring on the left side handlebar might be too tight, so I'm going to take off the r/h body panel and see where the wiring goes....Hopefully this afternoon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok, got the plastic bottom covers trimmed back a little and got some slack in the wiring.....Looks good!.....Now I will have to get used to sitting in a more upright position, but my wife is going to love it. So now I guess I need to get a higher windshield and probably a Corbon seat...Floorboards?......

Spyder Garage

Ok, got the plastic bottom covers trimmed back a little and got some slack in the wiring.....Looks good!.....Now I will have to get used to sitting in a more upright position, but my wife is going to love it. So now I guess I need to get a higher windshield and probably a Corbon seat...Floorboards?......
    Please post a photo or two, I would love to see how that looks.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

I would love to see pictures too. What about using these on a 2009 RS? Did you measure the bolt pattern? And I wonder about the electronic throttle. The older RS has cable throttle
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I will be posting pictures "before and after" soon as my daughter or son in law show me...Probably this weekend. I measured the bolt hole spacing with a tape measure. Top holes, right to left are 3 and 1/4 in.....bottom holes, right to left are 2 and 9/16....Diagonally 3 and 3/4 in.

I don't know about the older cable throttle....I wish I knew someone with a 2009 spyder so we could compare it with a 2013. Theres got to be someone out there that has a older RS and bought a 2013 RS that can compare.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default handlebar pictures

Here are the pictures of the STS handlebar on the RSS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here are the pictures of the STS handlebar on the RSS.
    Success. Actually downloaded my first pictures. I tell you, there has to be a better way....I had to e-mail them first to my daughter so she could compress them somehow to send back to me. Then figure out how to put them in my files.