Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like a fan cycling on and off

My 2015 CanAm Spyder RT SE6 Limited is making, what I think, is a strange noise. During a short 50 mile ride on a fairly warm day, when I stop at a light, it sounds like a fan is cycling on and off at very short intervals. It does not sound like a fan at full speed. I have approximately 22000 miles on the bike and this is the first time I have noticed this sound. I must also mention that the temp gauge shows everything is in the normal range and the engine is running fine through all modes of operation.

When I shut the bike off, but leave the key in the on position, the cooling fans run and everything sounds normal. Has anyone noticed this, or is this a normal operation.

Thanks for your input.

Spyder Garage

Maybe rear suspension compressor?
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Coming from the front of the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    Maybe rear suspension compressor?

Spyder Garage

On a trip to OBX in May I noticed a sound very much like what you describe. I have not investigated the source yet and wonder if you have found out any more that might lead to an answer. The spyder is pretty new to me so I don't know whether it may be normal or not. ????

Thanks for feedback is you have,

John
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I thought the fans ran in reverse when you came to a stop as away to draw the heat out of the engine compartment. That was the fix to the heat build up that the previous models had that the air intake add ons also fixed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shanethabarber View Post
    I thought the fans ran in reverse when you came to a stop as away to draw the heat out of the engine compartment.
    Yes, that is the way it is supposed to work.
    A LOT of big bikes work that way......since Honda came up with it many years ago (so I've been told).

The fan will sound considerably different with the engine running......versus with the engine OFF.

When mine comes on in that situation, it typically runs for about a minute then cuts off for a minute then back on.
    The actual run time depends on how hard you were riding and how HOT it is outside.