Spyder Garage

Default Rotator cuff surgery

So, as you can see it has been a very sad 2019 for me as far as ryding my Spyder. I tore my rotator cuff in the winter and had surgery on March 18th (Complete tear, 4 anchors ), I am going through therapy and I am finally getting some strength back. My question is, has anyone had this surgery and how long after were you able to Ryde? TIA

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Had the same a few years back, can't remember it taking longer than a month maybe two to ride. Hope it goes well for you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post
    So, as you can see it has been a very sad 2019 for me as far as ryding my Spyder. I tore my rotator cuff in the winter and had surgery on March 18th (Complete tear, 4 anchors ), I am going through therapy and I am finally getting some strength back. My question is, has anyone had this surgery and how long after were you able to Ryde? TIA

I had RC surgery back in 2010 long before I owned a Spyder, but was riding motorcycles at the time. It took me about 8 weeks of intense rehab to feel comfortable getting on a bike again. Keep in mind a few things that will make a huge difference in your recovery; age (I was 56 then) / dedication to rehab/physical therapy / level of conditioning prior to surgery / smoking; it can greatly retard healing.

On the rehab part; don't do it just at the PT facility. Take time to do as much as you can tolerate a couple of times a day, 7 days a week.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    On the rehab part; don't do it just at the PT facility. Take time to do as much as you can tolerate a couple of times a day, 7 days a week.
    I totally agree. I had my left RC repaired a "few" years back, it was also a complete tear. I wasn't riding at the time, but it took about a month to get back to work, and about 10 weeks to be at 100%. The therapist I had really pushed me at the office, and gave me several things to do at home, everyday between sessions at the office. If they don't give you anything to do at home, ask them for something...It will speed up your recovery.

Cheers

Spyder Garage

I detonated two of the four RC tendons in my right shoulder on February 23rd 2018 after a hard get off on my sled, tried cortisone and therapy and then after three rounds of golf in May I knew I needed surgery. I had the surgery on July 2nd, six incisions and almost 2 hours of surgery as there was a lot to repair, no therapy until after 6 weeks as the surgeon wanted the tendons to heal and take hold, three months of therapy three days a week, in any event I was riding my sled on December 27th and I rode 3500 pain free miles this past season.

Two weeks ago on the golf course I had a bad lie along with a bad swing and I felt a twinge in my shoulder, it bothered me for days and it really bothers me after I do dumbell curls, I golfed yesterday with the help of four Advils, I see the surgeon later this morning and I am hoping it's just an inflammation issue.

Every injury is different and every recovery is different, I had a Honda CB500X that I nervously rode last November as I was just very concerned as it didn't feel good in the shoulder joint, I think the Spyder would have been OK for me to ride in November.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Over the last six years I've had both shoulders done. Rehab is key. Work those back and shoulder muscles back into shape. You should feel fairly confident after a couple months but it's not just the time, it's the rehab during the time that makes the difference.

Spyder Garage

Good luck ChicagoSpyder. Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I will hit it harder and twice a day, I get lazy sometimes and think it's not doing anything with the additional home exercises, but now I realize it's more important than I thought. Can't wait to ride my baby.

Ramg66

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Over the last six years I've had both shoulders done. Rehab is key. Work those back and shoulder muscles back into shape. You should feel fairly confident after a couple months but it's not just the time, it's the rehab during the time that makes the difference.
    EXACTLY! I meant to mention that in my first response but just got in too big a hurry. Prior to my back surgery and later shoulder surgery, I earned a master's degree in health with a concentration in exercise physiology. Part of that degree involved a 15 week internship in knee and shoulder rehab at a local surgery/physical therapy clinic. Later on I worked as a physiologist at a back rehab facility. One thing that is true more often than not is that the success or failure of a surgery is directly dependent on the rehab.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Tore mine in 2008. Had surgery in Feb and back on motorcycle (2 wheels) by some point in July. Was about four months so a long road before I got the all-clear to ride. That being said, getting the surgery was well worth it. I suffered for years with pain and limited mobility and shoulder has been great since.No pain and wide range of motion. Better than the other shoulder.

Good luck and make sure you do not skip on the PT. It is essential.
    2012 RT-SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Man, this is turning into an old people's thread. LOL Had my RC surgery before I owned a spyder. With in a month I was riding my Harley back and forth to rehab and parking in the next business parking lot so they couldn't see my ride. They would've had a hemorrhage if they knew I was riding my scoot. The riding position and handlebar position for me was very comfortable and was never painful. Just be careful and don't do anything that hurts. You'll be back before you know it. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Good luck ChicagoSpyder. Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I will hit it harder and twice a day, I get lazy sometimes and think it's not doing anything with the additional home exercises, but now I realize it's more important than I thought. Can't wait to ride my baby.

Ramg66
    Good luck to you therapy is as much if not more endurance as well. There are many exercises for the RC but none work the same muscle as handlebars will. Personally have not had RC surgery, my TBI required more full body “reprogramming” & after loosing 100lb of muscle mass during my 2wk coma. Therapy sucked but got me functional lil by lil till I could ride. Then improving in leaps & bounds. Healthy amount of Family support throughout

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Man, this is turning into an old people's thread. LOL Had my RC surgery before I owned a spyder. With in a month I was riding my Harley back and forth to rehab and parking in the next business parking lot so they couldn't see my ride. They would've had a hemorrhage if they knew I was riding my scoot. The riding position and handlebar position for me was very comfortable and was never painful. Just be careful and don't do anything that hurts. You'll be back before you know it. Good luck.
    Remember going to family events and all the old foks were talking about going to the doctor and all there aches, pains, and ills, and then laughing while saying that sure as hell isn't going to happen to me
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

You know when old folks get together they start comparing hemorrhoid scars. Here's my scarred tale. Everything above is accurate. Don't scuff the seemingly small stuff. I had both my rotators rebuilt a couple of years apart. Had a fine PT, he tortured me (so I thought). He had me at the PT clinic 3-4 times a week, with homework exercises every day that I wasn't at his clinic. The instructions were written like I was to do several exercises twice a day, and one set 3 times a day. After the first couple of weeks, he started getting harsher on me, telling me I was lagging. I told him that I was doing everything on the paper, and the next thing he said was the thing that change the whole outcome of my rehab on the shoulder. He told me to never let the shoulder stop moving. Say the rehab sheet said do 30 reps 3 times a day, total of 90, he said do a couple, wait a few minutes, do a couple of more. Wouldn't hurt to exceed the 90, just keep the broke junk moving. After I saw the light, I committed fully and worked my butt off for about 8 weeks. I regained almost 100% range of motion ,and nearly the same as far a strength. Rehab is way worse than the surgery, but if you don't fully commit to the plan, you can and will lose how well the arm comes out of it.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I had my Right shoulder joint replaced beginning of Dec 2018. I think I was officially down for about 10 weeks though I did cheat a bit and rode just around the neighborhood around week 6 or 7. Even at 10 weeks I had a long way to go and now am about 5 months and it feels mostly back to normal though my ROM is less. That is due mostly to the surgeon putting in a reverse shoulder rather than the anatomical joint. A reverse takes the ball side and puts it on the trunk and the socket ends up on the arm. Reverse prostheses are used mostly where the RC has extensive damage and relies much more on the deltoid muscle to move the arm around.

Just take your time and do the exercises and soon enough you will be back on the road.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Was it arthroscopic surgery or open? Recovery times are VERY different depending on which you had.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ibified View Post
    Was it arthroscopic surgery or open? Recovery times are VERY different depending on which you had.
    It was arthroscopic, I started PT 4 weeks ago and they want me not to ride for another 4 weeks, 8 weeks total. Thanks again, everyone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    IMG_2437.jpgIMG_0592.JPG

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Never had rotator but crashed my bike in 2008, broke five ribs and collarbone. I hit the gym the day my doctor I could and never looked back. +1 on doing as much rehab as you can, at the facility and at home. I'm a big fan on weight training so I would start as soon as my doctor told me it's safe. Good luck. BTW, I am in Canada and it's been raining a lot this spring. I've been out on my F3L only three times. So look at it this way, if you were Canadian, you wouldn't have missed much of the riding season so far!
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

I had my right shoulder done with three little holes ,one year later i had a complete knife job done . One tendon never healed ,and have trouble still but mostly pain free .Give it time to heal do as the doc says.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I had rotator cuff surgery Oct 5th. Doc said no shooting for 6 months, but I could ride after 3. Riding wasn't too bad. After 7 months I still can't do a lot of things, but it is getting better. Mine was torn really bad and most of the damage was done 30 years ago, the first surgeon said nothing could be done so I saw 2 others and they both said it's fixable but would take a year to heal.Good Luck. Don't slack off the PT.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Every time I here that word rotator or see that arm sling I cringe!! I had a complete tear where my tendon was found in my elbow. Although mine was quite severe it took me 1 year to be able to raise my hand over my head. Best of luck on your road to recovery.

Spyder Garage

I'm working through a frozen shoulder right now, and have a tear. I'm just trying to get to the point where I have enough flexibility to be able to do rehab after surgery. I was discussing this thread with my wife and she wanted me to tell you 2 things: 1) that she hopes you have completely and 2) to be very diligent with your therapy, and to do EXACTLY what they tell you to do. I also wish you a speedy recovery.

Spyder Garage

I had a bad tear many years ago. Luckily, it done with a scope, but just barely. For me, it took about 8 months of vigorous rehab before I was comfortable riding and doing normal life activities. The doctor told me to stay off the bike for 6 months, which for the most part, I did. Although, I could have done street riding a little earlier, but at that point I was heavy into dirt bikes, so I took the advice seriously.

Wait until you tear your scar tissue. That's a thrill!
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for changing my mind, I was told already that June 16th would be the soonest and even then my Therapist said it depends on my status. I was hoping you all would say "It was a Spyder with power steering and it would be okay". Then I could ryde Memorial Day Weekend. I will not risk it and continue Therapy and wait for the OKAY to ryde.

Spyder Garage

I had RC surgery in March 11. 1 full tear, 1 partial and a bicep release. In a sling 24/7 for 7 weeks. Now at 10 weeks it’s feeling pretty good. Driving the garden tractor an just got approval to gently ride my 50cc scooter. Started PT 2 days after surgery and have been hitting it hard every day. It’s killing me not to able to ATV or ride the Spyder. The reinjury statistics for full tears is quite high (40% before 12 weeks) so i’m taking it easy. Doctor has not given me a “go” date, just says i’ll know when i’m ready. Hoping to be on bike in 2 more weeks.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents