Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I am so dumb... I did it again!

You maybe familiar with the problems I had with my -14 RT (a month after the end of the extended warranty) and, even, if the last problem was "nothing" I did not trust it anymore. Wanted a Sturgis R18 or a Hanningan Honda Roadster, so we went to the local dealer: of course nothing to show and the "real biker" attitude brushed my wife and I the wrong way! Passed by the Walmart-motorcycle-shop where my -14 was getting fixed and ended up 5 hours after with a -18RT Limited... I do not even like the color (white) but its new and we decided to change it when the warranty or the credit is up!
    300 miles later I am kicking myself to have turned too "local": instant gratification at a good price! The Spyder is a Spyder: greatest 3 cylinders since the big Laverda, perfect gearbox and uber comfy... Who thought of the BRP Connect? I did read everything, watch all the dummies video, downloaded the "apps", paired the bluetooth and plugged the front USB: it is either the FM radio (quality of a 1978 Harley model) or a frozen REVER ! Stopped again on the side of the road..un-plugged everything tried again "connect the phone" message (its done dummy), "loading" the radio for 2 hours to no available. Did that a few time..radio works by itself, if the iphone is not plugged, and no way to use a pre-loaded route in any of the "apps"! I took away Sygis as I already paid for REVER (again..I am so dumb!).
    I will install a stand alone Garmin and I'd love to have XM as I had before; so here is my question (please save me the remarks etc on BRP Connect): as anyone installed XM on a -18? How and how does it work? Before spending another $480 I'd like to be informed.
    Thanks!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well it depends on what " you are connecting to " …. I wouldn't buy an 18 or 19, just because BRP decided to fix something that wasn't broke ( like they did with the DESS module - FIASCO ) ….. the XM is really a stand alone , it doesn't really connect to the BRP radio …. only the speakers are used ( and another member posted about using JBL speakers that are WIRELESS ) …. the xm only needs 12v power to function …. good luck … Mike

Spyder Garage

If you want XM on something that you can have an XM signal on, why not put the XM app on your phone? As long as you are in within cell range, you can stream XM though your phone. I have the XM radio in my truck of my 2016 RT but I have found that in the area where I do my most riding, the XM signal is often spotty because my antenna is not long enough. With the XM app on my phone I rarely lose a signal because I mostly have coverage everywhere I ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:55 PM.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Worry less, ryde more!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiisai View Post
    If you want XM on something that you can have an XM signal on, why not put the XM app on your phone? As long as you are in within cell range, you can stream XM though your phone. I have the XM radio in my truck of my 2016 RT but I have found that in the area where I do my most riding, the XM signal is often spotty because my antenna is not long enough. With the XM app on my phone I rarely lose a signal because I mostly have coverage everywhere I ride.
    Thank you for your comment. Is your phone plugged in the front USB or one of the rear? Do you have access to change channel through the Spyder dashboard mine is a 2018.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

I don't want to answer that question for Chiisai, but I think he is going to say no. The only apps that are displayed on the BRP display are maps, weather, rever, sygic and now ESR. XM radio will bluetooth to your speakers, but can only be controlled by you phone. Unfortunately Can Am did not make updates user friendly. Check you firmware on the BRP system....go to "about" I just purchased my 2018 new a month ago. The firmware is version 10. They are up to version 20. Only the dealer can update the firmware. My dealer doesn't know how to do it (Fort Lauderdale Motorsports) The updated firmware adds some really nice improvements, but still does not allow user interaction with the firmware. If the app is not on your display, you can't control it and with the phone in the front box, you can't get to it. I am thinking of adding a phone mount in the middle of the handlebars and running an extension usb cable from the front box to the handlebars. This way I can still use what is on the BRP system and have control of the apps that are not. Hope this helped.
    Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my reading and inquiries I find a lot of 'questionable' shops. In post #2, BlueKnight mention the 18/19 model and BRP fixing something that wasn't broken, and the DESS module, so is the 17 model RT better because BRP hasn't fixed something that isn't broken? Sorry if this is dumb question.

Spyder Garage

I installed an XM radio on my 2018 RTL and it was pretty straightforward. Mounted the radio in the glove box and the antenna on top of the rear trunk. The input from the radio to the BRP audio auxiliary input will probably require a double female 3.5 mm barrel connector, available at Radio Shack. The hardest part of the job was removing body panels to run the cables. You can maximize the audio by turning on the ambient auto volume increase feature that is included with the most recent (v20.8) software update.
    Mine works great, and I have never lost signal. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    I installed an XM radio on my 2018 RTL and it was pretty straightforward. Mounted the radio in the glove box and the antenna on top of the rear trunk. The input from the radio to the BRP audio auxiliary input will probably require a double female 3.5 mm barrel connector, available at Radio Shack. The hardest part of the job was removing body panels to run the cables. You can maximize the audio by turning on the ambient auto volume increase feature that is included with the most recent (v20.8) software update.
    Mine works great, and I have never lost signal. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    Thank you for your answer! I guess this mean there are no ways to have XM really "on board" with the channel choices etc on the dashboard as it was on my -11 & -14?

Spyder Garage

I suppose you could figure a way to mount it on the handlebars, but I wanted mine waterproof and theft proof. On a recent trip, I did change channels several times. Most red lights allow enough time to pop open the lid and press a programmed channel button.

Spyder Garage

Default XM Radio

Interesting thread about XM radio in the glove box??? I'd like to find out where you acquired the unit...

2 Wheels (ST1100, Marauder, Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel) 3 wheels (2018 Spyder RT Ltd)

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....