Spyder Garage

Default Michigan roads or sites to see

My buddy and I have a week or so for a trip this July. Since it is the summer we need to head north so I am looking at the UP of Michigan. Leaving from Kansas City I'm thinking of heading to Davenport, IA and follow the Mississippi for a bit. Then head to I'm Michigan. I've read the Tunnel of Trees is a good ride. Any other suggestions for roads to ride or stops to see in Michigan? Would the west or east side of the "mitt" be better to ride south on?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The West side is the best side! If you come over the Mackinaw Bridge head to Tunnel of Trees then keep heading west.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Have to agree...the tunnel of trees is good. Also the sites in and around Copper Harbor on the peninsula are very good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Aaahhhh yes; the Tunnel of Trees. Almost met my maker there a couple of times in years past. Great ride-----use prudence and restraint! Anything from Muskegon on north (Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park) on our W Coast is pretty good riding territory. Porcupine Mountains in the UP are very nice (not really mountains by Rocky standards).

Traverse City, Leelenau Peninsula, Old Mission Peninsula/Wine Country Tour is great. Traverse City Cherry Festival in July is awesome but PACKED SOLID! Be warned! Have a great ride and trip!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

If you like waterfalls there are several in The UP.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's input. At this point, once I'm done with riding up the Mississippi for a day, I'll head to Copper Harbor, turn south towards Mackinaw City, and travel down the west side of Michigan. Should make an enjoyable week.

Spyder Garage

M26 between Phoenix and Cobber Harbor is awesome. I would also go up Brockway Mountain Dr which is off M26. I was up there last summer with my Spyder and it was a blast.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The west is the "sunset side". Be sure to catch it over lake michigan.
    I think Hartwick Pines State Park is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Its not quite on the west side, tho.
    Saugatuck, further south is a pretty town. Pretty expensive, too.

Enjoy!

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Be sure to fill up with fuel in Copper Harbor, as there are few gas stations that far out on the peninsula. The ride from Houghton through the trees and twisties is fun. Also, wandering the lakeshore back to Houghton is a beautiful ride. Watch out for moose (and deer and bear and...) on the peninsula... they make their home there too. The gas station has been improved there. It no longer harbors an elderly woman in a hut who only takes cash. Don't ask! There is a rustic place on the main drive called The Pines Resort. It features rooms, a fun bar (Zik's) and The Pines restaurant. We have stopped there twice so far and always had a good time. As you head into the UP, Escanaba is a fun town. Further east is the Big Mac bridge. The UP rides, either along the northern shore of Lake Michigan or southern shore of Superior, are scenic. Have fun and have a safe trip.

Spyder Garage

H58 from Grand Marias to Munising is spectacular
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roofus7044 View Post
    M26 between Phoenix and Cobber Harbor is awesome. I would also go up Brockway Mountain Dr which is off M26. I was up there last summer with my Spyder and it was a blast.
    M26 is a winner for sure, I would run that from Phoenix to Eagle River to Copper Harbor via Brockway Mountain, go south out of CH on US 41 and then just north of Ahmeek head east on the Mohawk/Gay road to Gay and of course you have to stop at the Gay Bar, from there take the Gay/Lac LaBelle Rd north back to US 41 and being the east side of the Kewwenaw Peninsula the water is warm by Lake Superior standards which is a great cool off on a hot July day.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Be sure to fill up with fuel in Copper Harbor, as there are few gas stations that far out on the peninsula. The ride from Houghton through the trees and twisties is fun. Also, wandering the lakeshore back to Houghton is a beautiful ride. Watch out for moose (and deer and bear and...) on the peninsula... they make their home there too. The gas station has been improved there. It no longer harbors an elderly woman in a hut who only takes cash. Don't ask! There is a rustic place on the main drive called The Pines Resort. It features rooms, a fun bar (Zik's) and The Pines restaurant. We have stopped there twice so far and always had a good time. As you head into the UP, Escanaba is a fun town. Further east is the Big Mac bridge. The UP rides, either along the northern shore of Lake Michigan or southern shore of Superior, are scenic. Have fun and have a safe trip.
    The old man was a real beatoff, he made the old lady seem pleasant LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Indyron View Post
    H58 from Grand Marias to Munising is spectacular
    That's definetly a road to incorporate into the ride
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

+1 for the porkys! Lake of the Clouds and on the back side Presque Isle Falls,awesome,lot's of walking on boardwalk. If in Ontanogon don't miss Stumpf's bar n museum!

Spyder Garage

Looks like I'm going to have to pull up a map as I read through this thread. Thanks again.