Spyder Garage

Spyder 2021 RT - is there a more powerful a/mkt antenna?

I apologize in advance if this topic has been brought up or beat to death, but does anyone know if there an aftermarket antenna that is more consistent? For example, station 1 comes in great but station 2 does not. I have good reception on both stations in my truck. I can barely get station 2 this morning while sitting in my driveway.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Mods, you can close this if you want. I found what I was looking for.

Spyder Garage

Let us know what you got and how it worked! Many deal with the poor reception frustration!
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

I bought one at a local auto parts store to replace the one on mt '21 RTL. Maybe 15% better (but, 15% better than awful). Your truck has the advantage of a big metal ground plane that really helps reception. Spyder is plastic. But GoldWings have great reception and they are plastic. And they have a long antenna and very sensitive receiver. The little antenna on a Spyder probably is no more sensitive than a paper clip. a more sensitive receiver would help, but that would require BRP to cough up $$$ or development. Get an antenna about 31" long. It is some help.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Let us know what you got and how it worked! Many deal with the poor reception frustration!
    After the OEM antennae broke on my 14 RT I was able to replace it with a manual Bosche auto model .... It doubled my reception, I live in mountainous Vermont ...... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    I bought one at a local auto parts store to replace the one on mt '21 RTL. Maybe 15% better (but, 15% better than awful). Your truck has the advantage of a big metal ground plane that really helps reception. Spyder is plastic. But GoldWings have great reception and they are plastic. And they have a long antenna and very sensitive receiver. The little antenna on a Spyder probably is no more sensitive than a paper clip. a more sensitive receiver would help, but that would require BRP to cough up $$$ or development. Get an antenna about 31" long. It is some help.
    Anyone know how Spyder radios compare to Goldwing? They are both made by Radio Sound. Honda's used to be made by Clarion. At least this is the case for the CB radio.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    What did you find?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    We really try NOT to do this, because one of the great advantages of a Forum over other forms of (less community minded?? ) social media is that your question and (hopefully?! ) it's resolution remains available as a resource to all members & readers now & into the future!

Once you post a question/issue & receive any answers/discussion to/about it here on the Forum, it remains available to all in a way that is searchable via the in-built search facility OR via any of the big name search engines out there; and it forms part of an ongoing & evolving resource that the broader community can continue using to their advantage for as long as the Forum remains live, possibly even longer if the big search engines have stored details of their search results.

So it REALLY HELPS this Forum and the broader Spyder/Ryker community to always do a search before starting a new thread/asking a question, so that if there is already anything recorded about it, you can expand upon or maybe complete that existing knowledge base or you can start such a record if nothing already exists; and it helps even more to post up telling us whatever the final resolution of your particular question/concern may have been! Doing these things helps you AND by adding to that growing & evolving knowledge base, it also helps EVERYONE in the broader Spyder/Ryker Community in the long term too!

So what solution did YOU find Quickdraw??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What did you find?
    I went with the short one that Martin the Vlogger installed in one of his videos. I'll let you know if it made a difference once I get it installed.

Spyder Garage

Just got a 22 RT in the shop. Customer complained of very poor reception. The antenna cable was not hooked to the antenna. Problem solved...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Mine is connected and I get good reception on the higher power stations. But this one station I always listen to, for some reason, fades in and out. Might be nothing I can do but for the low cost of the new antenna, it's worth a shot.

Spyder Garage

Great news -- I'm in NH and reception stinks compared to my old Goldwing. What model of Bosch did you replace with? Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Finally got around to installing the new shorter antenna and to be honest, it really does make a difference. I definitely get better reception. I know because I tested reception with the original antenna before I started and could only get 3 stations. With the new antenna, I was able to pick up around a dozen total. Easy install too, thanks to Martin the vlogger's video.

Spyder Garage

Do you have a link to that Antenna for those that don't know or follow Martin (though I don't know why).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Do you have a link to that Antenna for those that don't know or follow Martin (though I don't know why).
    Here's the install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEUXQSH8Xw8

Here's the link to the antenna: https://spyderpops.com/rubber-spiral...and-st-models/