Spyder Garage

Default Heat on right foot

I have a 2012 RTL and get a lot of heat on my right foot. I thought the heat was coming from the radiator so I cut out the plastic piece
    under the radiator outlets and blocked off the upper and lower outlets. This didn't solve the problem. To find out what is causing heat problem I purchased a digital laser thermometer form harbor freight that you can aim at area to measure temp. After going for a ride and the temp gauge not showing that engine was running any hotter than normal I measured the temp of the block off plated area and it showed about 90 F so then I measured temp on the silver metal piece at bottom of body panels just inside the floorboard, this showed 150 F. So looks like this is where heat is coming from. Question is.... has anyone else had this problem and anyone know of a way to reduce this heat?

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Jay. Everybody has had that problem. Exhaust heat, Cat heat, and radiator heat all exit out the bottom and heat up that metal piece. Have you installed the RT Vent Kit? If not, that’s your success path. It will increase airflow under the body panels and keep interior temperature lower. Read through this thread. You’ll find good info and the part number. The kit can still be had on Amazon if you can’t find it through the OEM system. At least start with that before you spend big bucks on cat delete, etc.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...light=vent+kit

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops is a sponsor for this site. Check on the home page for his website. He has a very effective heat blocker that is easy to install. It was one of the first farkles I put on mu 2012.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I do have the RT vent kit installed. Will look at spyderpops item.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Jay. Well, as you’ve probably seen by now, Spyderpops provides the same block off plates that you’ve already tried, plus a Cat heat shield. I have no experience with that. I removed my Cat instead, wrapped the exhaust - not sure if wrapping did a whole lot - and also installed Lamonster’s NBV highway pegs. The highway pegs move your feet forward away from the heat, plus it makes the ride a lot more comfortable. That was a big help. So I ended up with that lower outlet hole open, the upper one blocked, and the highway pegs, with Cat delete. Instead of the vents, I have JT’s air filter that I put on before the vent kit came out. After all that, I am comfortable in all kinds of weather and traffic. Never had an engine overheating issue. That’s my final configuration. You can chart your own course on how you want to proceed. Footwear with proper ventilation helps. Bottom line - we're sitting on top of a 100 horsepower engine wrapped in plastic. Some heat is unavoidable. I plan on riding this until I can’t ride anymore. Good luck with it. Be safe. Watch out for deer.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

When I had my 2008 GS with the 998 I had horrible heat issues too. Including the boiling gas. One of the best solutions was to remove the plastic splash panels on the underside of the bike. They are there for a reason, but I believe (like many others) the downside of heat build up outweighs the benefits of keeping the engine compartment cleaner and slightly more protected.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's what I did to solve it on my 2013 RT. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...heat-block-mod

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Remove the splash pans under the engine and make sure the acoustic panels under the upper panels were removed.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried putting heat wrap shield on exhaust to reduce heat on right foot? If so what were results.

Spyder Garage

JayHawker, yes some have gone through the Exhaust heat wrap on the the header pipes, I found 10 different threads in a search here on SL, but RLS exhaust has another possibility worth checking into.
    Check out their thread in the supporting vendors forum titled RLS Exhaust Ceramic coating Service
    I've done Rob's Mods Heat block off, have a '13 with the scoops dealer installed, have removed the under bike splash shields (or vented them), have vented the bottom of the radiator out flow and am pretty happy with the results, though I haven't checked that chrome trim by the foot.
    I also put on the Cat Delete pipe for my '13 and I feel that's allowed more under Spyder cooling versus the quieter stock primary muffler (catalytic converter).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Motorcycle riding boots, socks and long pants should take care of the heat issue. It has always worked for me in Las Vegas.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622