Spyder Garage

Question RT burning rubber

Haha tricked you guys...anyway had my `15 RT S in to the dealer today for its first oil change since I have owned it...rode it 2hrs back home in the rain, opened garage door drove in then went in the house to remove bike gear....went back into garage and was greeted by the strong smell of burning rubber...no smoke but definitely burning rubber odor .....called up dealer and he said look for smoke...started up and no smell...i had noticed for the last 20 Km when I turned the bike tunes off that the engine sounded noisey at 2500 rpm....not the usual BRP coffee can with rocks but different....checked oil...lots of new clear oil....I`m baffled.
    Bike has BRP belt tensioner with LaMonster roller and MonsterFuel ECU stage I. Not leaks on garage floor
    HELP

Spyder Garage

I have the same issue on my 19RTL after adding the same belt tensioner setup you have. I’ve felt the belt after coming off the highway and it’s just warm. I still get some vibration but it is very reduced from where it was. Roller is tracking straight I just wonder if there is some belt hop that causes the roller to lose contact with the belt briefly and it’s the belt I’m smelling. Just a guess..I want to attach a camera and film the belt/roller while under load to see what is going on but haven’t figured that out yet. I have about 700 miles on my Spyder now and only 200 with this tensioner with the rubber smell occurring after the install. Roller turns free and spring arm seems to provide tension I am baffled as well with the burning rubber smell.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are smelling burnt rubber something isn't right ….. good luck in finding the issue …. Mike

Spyder Garage

First thing I would check is belt alignment to make sure it is not rubbing against a flange (front or rear). Then look to see if the dealer may have slopped some oil somewhere where it gets hot. Hot oil and hot rubber smell similar, at least to me. Since this started to occur just after dealer servicing, my bet is a messy oil change. My dealer washed the bikes down to eliminate oil residue after servicing..... Good luck Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi