Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL GPS/Accessory 12 VDC Keyed circuit

After burrowing through many threads after this info, I got a mix of folks saying left side midway down the seat, some said right side. The drawing shows the GPS2 connection as the end of the rear harness, right side. After finishing my GPS install, I thought I'd post a pic showing the connector.2018 RTL GPS_Accy 12 VDC Connection.jpg . It's on the right side, near the gas tank ground bolt, towards the middle. This picture has my GPS harness attached, the connector is just to the side of the BRP on the visible label.

So I'm using an old Zumo 550 until I can afford a new one, all I needed was 12 volts keyed. The BRP plug was a AMP Superseal 1.5. I bought a bag of pigtails here; https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Kit-2-Pin...72.m2749.l2649 . The only problem I had was the black and red were crossed on the pigtail, when plugged in to the Spyder the black was hot. Heat shrink covered that up, so no big deal.

So that's another one for the books. Maybe it'll help someone else at some point in time.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Hi hOgr1der,
    Did you give up on the BRP connect GPS? I have a 2018 RTL like yours and am using the dash for GPS and have a difficult time keeping it user friendly. It just seems so clunky using through the phone. What was your impression of BRP?
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Didn't even bother with it. I like a standalone GPS, the Zumo being one of the most rugged I've ever used. Waterproof, too. From what I garner, the BRP Connect relies on your phone to do anything. I'm not really up to speed on what phones do and don't do nowadays, but unless the phone has an actual GPS receiver that talks to the BRP Connect, then if you lose network connectivity you are dead in the water. Some places I go have no network for many many miles.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I learned many years ago that trying to create a route on a Garmin unit was a very slow process. Using a smartphone was way easier. Making routes on either of the two GPS apps on the phone is much easier and using it in the dash is a breeze.

IF you take the time to learn how to use it.

I mean, compared to the added cost and trouble to install an old Garmin unit, learning to use the new smartphone is a no brainer.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I'm finding Genius maps to be workable on my 2018. If you've ever used Google maps on a smartphone, or Android Auto in your car - it works the same way.

Spyder Garage

I routed a 5ft usb cable from the frunk to the center of the handlebar, through the blank switch plate next to the fog light switch. I have the techmount plate and mount. When I plug into my note 9, I have the brp connect system available, but can go back and forth to use xm radio, pandora ,a weather radar app and other apps on my phone. When I go back to the brp connect, it is back where I left off. I use the Sygic map system on the brp connect. It displays on the dash and I find it to be easy to use. It also has more detail than genius. The download for each state on sygic is almost 10 times greated than genius, which probably includes more poi etc. So far it is working pretty good.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the picture and insight on the plug required. I am still trying to figure out how to get the dashboard to show routes, but only using the iPhone Apple map with BRP connect. Haven't tried any of the 3rd party mapping apps that BRP suggests. That being said, having stand-alone GPS is also nice when getting into some of the remote locations.

Spyder Garage

We have a Garmin 660 mounted on a dash rack I made. Its easy to use ( though I only plan a days route). Its in my line of sight and bluetooths to our old Sena SMH 5 perfectly.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I was running the Zumo 550 for a bunch of years. Toughest GPS I've ever owned. Besides being waterproof, it was pretty well armored. Due to my mistake, it once fell out of the cradle at about 15 MPH, bounced down the road for a while. Aside from some minor nicks and scratches none the worse for wear. I can just hope the 595LM is as good.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

The zumo 550 is tough ,i use it on the bike ,sled and atv . It fell off the atv and i ran over it ,scratched up a bit but still works .I have mine wired to power all the time ,like to use it even when stopped .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

The Genius Maps does not use cell service for mapping. All phones have GPS chips in them today. Download the North America map and connect to BRP connect and you are good to go. You can still receive and make calls from your connected phone. The more I understand about the connect system the more I like it.

Spyder Garage

Today is a good day, I woke up above ground and I learned something. I didn't know that Thopper, I appreciate folks teaching to that level. You don't know until you know. My phone isn't waterproof, so I'll still use the stand alone Zumo. As I understand it, there are a few phones that are actually waterproof now, and some that are both waterproof and rugged. Bet those cost a small fortune!
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

HI...which version is that??? nuvi, zumo ? And how is viewing in sunlight????

2 Wheels (ST1100, Marauder, Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel) 3 wheels (2018 Spyder RT Ltd)

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hershey View Post
    HI...which version is that??? nuvi, zumo ? And how is viewing in sunlight????
    I just got through installing a Garmin Zumo 595LM on a Tri-Axis mount. I gained a whole new respect for the folks that work on these Spyders for a living! Fishing that monstrous cable through the steering head port was a real PITA.

I use Garmin Zumo stand alone GPS for a couple of features. They are pretty much water proof, and the case is rugged. I'm speaking from my experience with the old Garmin Zumo 550 that this GPS replaced. The Zumo motorcycle specific GPS units are glove friendly, full daylight bright, and once you learn the software fairly easy to use. Some folks have trouble with the software but you get out of it what you put into it.

The screens are optimized to be readable in full sun. As with any screen, they occasionally get hard to see at certain angles, but from what I've seen a cell phone would have been unreadable long before you can't see the screen on the Zumo series. They are made brighter than the Nuvi automobile GPS units because they are specifically for motorcycles, even though they offer a car mount. They do well in cars too.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

My winter job will be to come up with a mount for my zumo 550. I hate buying anoth GPS when my 550 has worked for years!
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar2112 View Post
    My winter job will be to come up with a mount for my zumo 550. I hate buying anoth GPS when my 550 has worked for years!
    Mr Lonestar2112,

I opted for the updated version 595LM for one reason alone. On auto GPS units I found the next turn guidance a life saving advantage I didn't have with the Zumo 550. I experienced this in Tulsa Oklahoma, where there was a bunch of lanes of traffic going one way at high speeds, and short notification as far a signs as to where your next turn was. You knew from the GPS where the turn was, it just helps a bunch to know the options on which lanes make that turn. Hence the upgrade. I do believe the 550 screen is brighter though. My 550 is going to be gifted to someone without a GPS on their bike (as soon as the 595LM proves itself).
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

The genius maps app. works great. It is nice to have your route on the Spyder panel and not a clunky GPS hanging on the handlebars. Since the phone is in the frunk it is waterproof. (put in a plastic bag if you like). Again, the BRP/Phone Genius system is not dependent on cell service , you download maps (I.e.) north America and you are good to go. You can switch back and forth from main spyder screen to maps etc. with a press of the app. handle bar switch. The sytem really works very well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I just got through installing a Garmin Zumo 595LM on a Tri-Axis mount. I gained a whole new respect for the folks that work on these Spyders for a living! Fishing that monstrous cable through the steering head port was a real PITA.

I use Garmin Zumo stand alone GPS for a couple of features. They are pretty much water proof, and the case is rugged. I'm speaking from my experience with the old Garmin Zumo 550 that this GPS replaced. The Zumo motorcycle specific GPS units are glove friendly, full daylight bright, and once you learn the software fairly easy to use. Some folks have trouble with the software but you get out of it what you put into it.

The screens are optimized to be readable in full sun. As with any screen, they occasionally get hard to see at certain angles, but from what I've seen a cell phone would have been unreadable long before you can't see the screen on the Zumo series. They are made brighter than the Nuvi automobile GPS units because they are specifically for motorcycles, even though they offer a car mount. They do well in cars too.
    I'M going to have a dealer mount my tri-axis bars on Monday. I read somewhere that the existing mount for my Zumo on my 2017 RT Limited won't work. What mount did you use? I put in a call to Lamonster yesterday, but he hasn't responded. Thanks
    2017 RT , White

Spyder Garage

https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam...t-harness.html

I used this one. I comes without the harness, which is supplied with the new GPS 595LM cradle. The cradle wiring is the same as the Can AM OEM cradle wiring, but there is some hookup soldering you will need to do on the end connections, depending on if you want to route your GPS through the Spyder dash and sound system. I didn't, just hooked up 12 volts and good to go.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam...t-harness.html

I used this one. I comes without the harness, which is supplied with the new GPS 595LM cradle. The cradle wiring is the same as the Can AM OEM cradle wiring, but there is some hookup soldering you will need to do on the end connections, depending on if you want to route your GPS through the Spyder dash and sound system. I didn't, just hooked up 12 volts and good to go.
    Thanks a lot. I didn't see that one.
    2017 RT , White

Spyder Garage

I could have used the advanced turn function today. I do part time driving for a stone and tile house in our neighborhood. I had to drive to Sacramento to pic up some stone. I missed a turn because I could not get across traffic.
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Spyder Garage

h0gr1der:

I just read your post and was able to find the connector for my 2018 in the same location.

One question: I cannot tell on the wiring diagram what fuse controls that connection, did you use a seperate fuse or do you know which fuse manages that outlet?

Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus View Post
    h0gr1der:

I just read your post and was able to find the connector for my 2018 in the same location.

One question: I cannot tell on the wiring diagram what fuse controls that connection, did you use a seperate fuse or do you know which fuse manages that outlet?

Thanks in advance.
    Mr Bogus,
    As a matter of fact, I blew that fuse while installing and testing my GPS harness. I believe it is the 5A fuse in the right fuse box (It's on the left side when looking in the frunk). F6R I think I remember. If I read it correctly these circuits can be switched if the 5A fuse is in the F6R position, and always hot if the fuse is moved to the F7R position. For a GPS, make sure it's in the switched position.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

H0gr1der:

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like nothing else is on that circuit, so where I am planning on using that connection for heated clothing and need a 15A fuse, I should be able to up the 5A to a 15A and not use an additional inline fuse.

Sound about right to you?

Thank you again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus View Post
    H0gr1der:

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like nothing else is on that circuit, so where I am planning on using that connection for heated clothing and need a 15A fuse, I should be able to up the 5A to a 15A and not use an additional inline fuse.

Sound about right to you?

Thank you again!
    Mr Bogus.
    Fuses are designed to protect the wiring, not the devices. I'm going to wager if you increase the fuse in a 5A circuit to 15A you will shortly thereafter have a melted wire or maybe even a fire. Do not do this. Instead, find a competent electrical mechanic and install a fuse block with switched fuses and run the appropriate sized wire. https://www.fuzeblocks.com The FZ-1 is mentioned on here a lot, and looks like a good one.
    h0gr1der