Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hit debris on the freeway.

North bound on I-15 in Sandy Utah, travelling in the HOV lane, some car fender parts came over the center divide and landed right under my front left tire.

I was doing about 70 mph and the whole thing shattered into pieces and made hole in the tire big enough to get a couple of fingers through.

The bike pulled sharp left and I thought the whole plot was going to high side me over the right hand side of the bike or swerve left for a head on collision with the center cement barrier. I was bracing for a whole bunch of hurt either way.

But the thing sorted itself out, the ride hand side brake pulled it straight and the whole lot slowed down to where I could park it in the HOV hard shoulder.

I couldn't hear well enough, I'm deaf, to phone anyone but 911 and inside 5 minutes the Highway Patrol and the Incident Management Unit were there.

AAA quoted 1 hour 45 minutes to respond and were hopeless trying to find where I was on a map, so the Highway Patrol got a flatbed out and I was on the way to the dealer in about 30 minutes all in.

Full marks to the 911 service, the Highway Patrol officer and the Tow Service. They were all very professional and hopefully it's just a new tire.

Scared the living daylights out of me for a bit, but the bike is way more stable and capable than I had given it credit for. I'm sure without the stability control systems it could have ended quite badly and I would have been sliding up the freeway potentially being hit by other vehicles as I did so, or I would have slammed into the cement divide head on. I'm sure if had been riding my big Triumph I traded for this thing, the potential for quite a serious accident would have been very high.

I think that anyone who wants to turn the smart systems off on one of these needs to think very carefully about what they really want. I'm pretty sure without what I guess is the "nanny" I would, if I was lucky, been typing this from a hospital bed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-08-2021 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Prefix - not engine/size related
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Glad you’re safe and ok. I agree with you, I hit a deer pretty hard 3 weeks ago at 45 mph and now up over $8000 damage and it held together and straight after impact. At 70 mph to hold straight is a true testament to the driver and machine. Hope it’s only tire.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those complaining about the "nanny" should learn from these posts. BRP made a big investment -- hardware, software, testing -- in the VSS to make our 2-wheels forward, 1-wheel back rides fun and safe. Good to see that investment kept you riding.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    North bound on I-15 in Sandy Utah, travelling in the HOV lane, some car fender parts came over the center divide and landed right under my front left tire.

I was doing about 70 mph and the whole thing shattered into pieces and made hole in the tire big enough to get a couple of fingers through.

The bike pulled sharp left and I thought the whole plot was going to high side me over the right hand side of the bike or swerve left for a head on collision with the center cement barrier. I was bracing for a whole bunch of hurt either way.

But the thing sorted itself out, the ride hand side brake pulled it straight and the whole lot slowed down to where I could park it in the HOV hard shoulder.

I couldn't hear well enough, I'm deaf, to phone anyone but 911 and inside 5 minutes the Highway Patrol and the Incident Management Unit were there.

AAA quoted 1 hour 45 minutes to respond and were hopeless trying to find where I was on a map, so the Highway Patrol got a flatbed out and I was on the way to the dealer in about 30 minutes all in.

Full marks to the 911 service, the Highway Patrol officer and the Tow Service. They were all very professional and hopefully it's just a new tire.

Scared the living daylights out of me for a bit, but the bike is way more stable and capable than I had given it credit for. I'm sure without the stability control systems it could have ended quite badly and I would have been sliding up the freeway potentially being hit by other vehicles as I did so, or I would have slammed into the cement divide head on. I'm sure if had been riding my big Triumph I traded for this thing, the potential for quite a serious accident would have been very high.

I think that anyone who wants to turn the smart systems off on one of these needs to think very carefully about what they really want. I'm pretty sure without what I guess is the "nanny" I would, if I was lucky, been typing this from a hospital bed.
    I'm very glad you survived as well as you did ..... However - if that much damage was done to your tire I would have an EXPERT assess for other damage .... I know tires and the amount of Force necessary to tear a Large hole in it would boggle your mind ....It does mine ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Whew! Thanks for sharing! Glad you are OK - it is really a testament to the bike. And I am sure you did the right things too to maintain control. Ride safely!
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post

Glad ok & able to share, (not trying to side track ) Another good example of needing good tire side wall strength. If you Please: were tires upgraded car tires(no brand name required)? Hopefully is all that was damaged. Thanks again for positive comments on the responders

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I struck a piece of sheet metal this summer, it didn't do any damage to the tires, I was just glad that I was able to get my tires on it and keep it from lifting up and getting my wife's or my legs! Could not avoid it the car next to me lifted it right in front of me, with no where to go, scary moment!!! Glad your ok and you stayed on top of it, the rest is nuts and bolts and can be replaced!!! Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Nanny is your friend. She has saved my bacon at least four times. Two were hydroplaning incidents when I was living in AK. The other two...it was me...I was enjoying the twisties to much and she slapped me on the hand.

Disconnecting is not an option for me. I can get plenty of tickets based on the performance just like she is. I don't need to go 150 plus, etc.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, it's at the dealer for a thorough checkup. They still have to fix the C210A suspension code anyways.

Thanks
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

No, they were the original OEM Kendra K9's as it is relatively new. I admit they don't seem to be very strong, especially in the sidewall. I don't have any qualms about their on road performance, unlike some folks experience, but I can see why they damage so easily.

I think car tires would perform much better in these kinds of situations and I'll probably look to swapping them out for car tires when these wear out a bit.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I agree. I really didn't have time to react much, it was definitely the bike that saved me, more than I saved the bike.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's good wishes, I appreciate it.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I tend to complain about Nanny kicking in too early and spoiling the fun, but it's times like this that Nanny is much appreciated. Will I complain when she reacts too early and spoils my fun? Sure. Would I have her disabled? NO WAY.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

If I change the tires I think the combination of 165/65r15 Continental Contipatch TX's on the front and a 225/50r15 Kumho Ecsta AST (KU25) on the rear is about as close as I could get from the available sizes, brands, types and expected general performance. Not a lot of choice after Kensa k9 or Vee Rubber to be honest. I wish the Continentals were better than T rated, but I think a T rating will probably be OK with the lower load weight of the RT compared with a car causing less heat. We shall see depending on what the dealer reports on the damage I managed to have done as to what I do next.

I'm still thinking about it. With today's low profile tires I think they could have gone with a little more sidewall stiffness in the OEM tire to be honest. The suspension is soft enough and it might get ride of that two stage feeling in compression where the tire is compressing first and then the suspension. They don't feel like a good match especially with the low pressures they run. That tire blew out in the sidewall just a little bit easier than I would have thought it should have done the more I think about it. The sidewall was awfully thin.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I’ve never had to change only “one” tire on the front. We’ve never had a blowout or hole. Somebody will probably chime in on this comment. If it as me, I would probably replace (old front one) right now with 2 new front tires. I’m not sure but if the fronts are “not worn equally,” wouldn’t that cause problems? (Used and new at same time) I’d think a used tire on one side and new on other would cause problems depending on original miles an wear, even if they’re the same tire. I may be wrong so hope someone chimes in on that. Just a thought.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Ford Windstar has ABS tone rings on all four wheels. If one tire's pressure differs from the others by about 4-6psi a visual and audible alert is presented.

I've never read anything similar to this for the Spyder's front wheels which leads me to believe the VSS does not calculate tire pressure differences although it carefully monitors wheel speed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I’ve never had to change only “one” tire on the front. We’ve never had a blowout or hole. Somebody will probably chime in on this comment. If it as me, I would probably replace (old front one) right now with 2 new front tires. I’m not sure but if the fronts are “not worn equally,” wouldn’t that cause problems? (Used and new at same time) I’d think a used tire on one side and new on other would cause problems depending on original miles an wear, even if they’re the same tire. I may be wrong so hope someone chimes in on that. Just a thought.
    As Bert notes above, the Nanny very carefully monitors via the ABS for differences in wheel speeds, but she doesn't actually monitor tire pressure. And for any difference in tire pressure to make any significant difference in wheel speed, the pressure change while the tire is spinning at road speed in a straight line needs to be fairly substantial, not just 'a few' or even 'several' psi! But once you start cornering or braking hard, the lower pressure of a blown or leaky tire can be felt much quicker & with greater effect as the sidewalls flex more so the Nanny is waaayy more likely to notice & step in, maybe braking the other tires or possibly even cutting power.

I'll try to explain further, if you want to bear with me..... . It's Centrifugal force that makes you feel as tho the Spyder's trying to throw you off the bike towards the outside of any turn you make, with more apparent force the sharper/harder you try to turn; and it's that same effect which throws the tire tread out to the stretch limit allowed by the height of the sidewalls & the width of the tire while-ever you are ryding in a straight line (& btw, it's still/also that same effect that contributes to the rapid tread wear in the centre of the OE rear tire, cos it's the bit that gets thrown out the most! ) But with that in mind, once you start cornering or braking hard the various other forces imposed on the tire by the steering & turning (which can be pretty massive in any riding/driving scenario!) means that the Centrifugal forces throwing the tread surface out can be overcome fairly readily, so the sidewall of the lower pressure/blown tire can flex or fold under the rim, rapidly reducing the overall rolling diameter of the tire and somewhat changing the wheel speed as a result!

So the Nanny should obviously notice that wheel speed variation & step in, shouldn't she?!? And she would, maybe even will, if the change/difference is big enough, except that she's been designed to cater for the variations experienced in tire pressures between those you set when the tire is cold (ie. the cold start pressure) and the pressure that the tire increases to as it warms up (about a 4 psi increase is ideal) & possibly even if the tire gets a little hot, increasing the pressure maybe a tad more than that optimal 4psi... AND she's been given a fair degree of latitude too, in order to cater for different tire sizes; changes in ambient temps as you ride; the different pressures different people might choose to run; the variations in wheel speeds between tires of different actual size &/or changes in nominal size; the differences in tire dia between new tires with 12mm of tread depth vs old tires with 2mm of tread; and a bunch of other things that 'might be encountered & so must be catered for' in any likely/expected ryding scenario that will result in a noticeable change in any tire's rolling diameter during use, which in turn may vary that tire or any tire's detected wheel speed.

So if the Nanny does notice the wheel speed variations etc caused by blow-outs &/or flat tires, but isn't going to notice the difference in rolling dia & therefore wheel speed caused by saaay, the difference caused by the potential 6-8 psi pressure change that might occur if you start out ryding on a cold day & head off with the warm sun beating down on one side of the Spyder/that same side of the road so that one tire heats up a lot quicker; or the differences in wheel speed caused by any one or combination of all those other things, then she sure as heck isn't going to notice the change in wheel speed produced by the difference between running one new tire & one old/worn tire up front, which is likely to be at best a change of about 10mm in tread depth, plus she'll have an extra tolerance for the permitted variations from all those other things added on!! . All of which adds up to the fact that if you largely ride in straight lines & are fairly gentle thru the corners, then even with a 20mm rolling diameter &/or a10 psi pressure variation across the front tires caused by any of the myriad of possible scenarios that can cause a difference in the wheel speed, you might notice the squirrelly handling, but the Nanny probably won't see enough speed difference between the various wheels to warrant her stepping in!

However, she WILL step in PDQ if you corner or brake hard with that sort of difference causing a significant variation in wheel speed; or if the pressure variation between the front tires is anything much more than about 10 psi; or if one tire suddenly goes flat.... She's actually a very good Nanny - in fact, one of the best out there. A little strict maybe, but still one of the best at doing what she does very well & keeping you safe when things go pear shape. But do remember that just like all other Nannies, be they human or automotive, she can't protect you from an excess of your own stupidity! So think SAFETY, FIRST, LAST & ALWAYS whenever you ryde.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-10-2021 at 11:06 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think I'm good with one tire as they have only done 800 miles or so.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

In my case the left wheel came up off the road by I would guess 6" or more, so as I was probably braking (happened too fast to know exactly what I was doing) I'm sure the left wheel was causing the ABS to think it was locked up due to lack of rolling resistance. That in turn may have led to the ABS attempting to brake more with the right and rear wheels to compensate. Plus the whole plot seemed like it was going to high side to the right and flip. My guess was the system was smart enough to figure the issue of the left wheel off the ground and the need for more braking effect on the right and rear, coupled with the heavy roll effect to the right hand side. Whatever it did, it was obviously the right thing as I neither high sided to the right or made the severe turn to the left into the center cement barrier.

My guess it was a combination of the ABS trying to provide maximum braking coupled with some form of stability control trying to stop the whole plot turning sharp left and inverting. Whatever it was doing it worked in harmony with me straightening things out and trying to come to a controlled stop. OK, I probably didn't need to try to come to a controlled stop, I could have slalomed to the left onto the hard shoulder. In fact this is what I did, but only after I was going much slower than I probably needed too. But that's what a lack of years of experience on trikes led me to do. I'm just so grateful the whole plot didn't roll over to the right and into the fast lane of traffic.

Thanks for the info on the Nanny, I'm definitely going to file that for further understanding.

If I'd been on my two wheeler perhaps I would have had a lot more muscle memory to better cope with the situation, but with the size and type of object I hit and the near zero reaction time available, I'm not sure if the outcome would have been better or worse.

The whole incident gave me a lot of respect for the capabilities of the core vehicle, I just wish it didn't throw suspension leveling (C210A) codes and the build quality was a little better. Although they didn't put much thought into the user interface electronics or the iPhone integration, I'm sure glad they spent the time and money on the stability control and ABS systems.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile I betcha Bombardier Aircraft helped out BRP Spyder

The VSS is much more sophisticated than ABS tone rings on all three wheels. There is the Steering Angle Sensor (position and rate) and the Yaw Rate Sensor (I believe 5-axis). And as you know the Spyder is throttle-by-wire and, no surprise, the CANbus connection is bi-directional so the VSS has control over the engine as well as the brakes.

BRP is Bombardier Recreational Products and Bombardier https://bombardier.com/en is a world leading manufacturer of business jets. I kinda think the Spyder guys invited the business jet guys over for Tim Hortons coffee and donuts and talked them into helping out with the VSS.

Just sayin...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I kinda think the Spyder guys invited the business jet guys over for Tim Hortons coffee and donuts and talked them into helping out with the VSS.

Just sayin...
    Actually, from what I've read or been told, not sure which, BRP was having difficulty with the stability of the Spyder during the initial development. Supposedly, they were about to give up on the whole concept but then got Bosch involved. Bosch is reportedly responsible for the VSS development, plus the cluster and maybe more of the other parts of the Spyder computer network.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Idaho -- that history is more realistic than my fairy tale. I concur with your point the VSS enabled BRP to offer the Spyder. I would estimate there's a minimum of 250K lines of code, including libraries, distributed across many devices (eg, left-hand handlebar switch) running our Spyders. An engineering history of the Spyder would be fun to read.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Idaho -- that history is more realistic than my fairy tale. I concur with your point the VSS enabled BRP to offer the Spyder. I would estimate there's a minimum of 250K lines of code, including libraries, distributed across many devices (eg, left-hand handlebar switch) running our Spyders. An engineering history of the Spyder would be fun to read.
    Well I hope the Bosch folks who developed the code did better than the folks who developed my Bosch dish washer :-)

It doesn't surprise me Bosch helped develop it, they do these kind of real time systems for bikes and cars.

All joking aside, I knew there must be more to it all than just the ABS systems. I suspect there is more than 250k lines of code too. Bosch says that a high end passenger car contains about 100 million lines of code.

It does seem to work and work well, apart from the user interface stuff, BC Connect is just dreadful.

It saved my read end for sure.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I spent a big chunk of time over the Thanksgiving holiday researching motorcycles. In July 2020 I traded in my BMW for a 2020 Spyder RTL (long story, boring details). I've been fighting the itch to get another 2-wheeler, but after reading your story, the itch is gone. I'll happily stick with my beautiful 3-wheel nanny!

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad to hear that you came through it OK.
    USN SCPO (ret.) with a fondness for Red-tailed hawks
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT Limited (Redtail III)
    Previous rides:
    2014 BMW F700GS (Redtail II)
    2013 BMW K1200RS
    2010 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (Redtail I)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    2020 Limited , Red

Spyder Garage

I still have my Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018) but I would not trade my Spyder for another 2 wheeler. To do long runs two up in comfort, I'm too old with too bad arthritis to do that on a big touring or sports touring bike anymore. I miss my Triumph Trophy SE, absolutely brilliant bike, but it was just too much for maneuvering two up fully loaded, or cramping up when putting my leg down when I stopped after a couple of hours of riding.

Yes, the Spyder is nowhere near as fast, corners slower etc, etc, but I have to be realistic and I just didn't ride the Triumph enough to warrant keeping it. I ended up doing 200 miles on it in the last year. I've done many times that in the 3 months I've had the Spyder, even with it spending half it's life in the shop it's got me back riding and having fun again. The Spyder cruises two up on the freeway at 75 - 80 mph stable as a rock and I'm too old to care about going faster than that anymore.

So for a long distance touring bike two up with luggage, the itch has gone for me too.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver