Spyder Garage

Default Tire Speed Rating?

Going to order General Altimax for my rear. T and V speed rating are the same price.....seems like a no brainer? Higher speed rating better for Spyder? Don't know much about tires so any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Blatantly stole from some other website about tires;

To support running at higher speeds, V-rated tires will have a stiffer sidewall and slightly firmer ride than H-rated tires. For normal driving conditions the H-rated tire will provide a more comfortable ride and the V-rated should give slightly better handling.

I was in the same boat, chose V rated because I figured they may hold tolerances to a higher standard due to speed and heat action on the tire. I have read in multiple places the sidewalls will be stiffer, giving a harsher ride. I reckon I'll start my rear tire pressure testing at 20 PSI though, so it will probably be cushy enough.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post
    Going to order General Altimax for my rear. T and V speed rating are the same price.....seems like a no brainer? Higher speed rating better for Spyder? Don't know much about tires so any info is appreciated.

Thanks
    Well, yes and no. The speed ratings on tires are for maximum sustained speeds. Most will never see the max speed much less sustain it! A T rated tire is rated to 118mph and a V rated to 149mph. But, there are other factors that go along with the speed rating such as: tread compounds that relate to more/less traction & treadwear, sidewall compound/construction, ride comfort, cornering and general handling etc.

A V rated tire will outperform the T rated tire in all areas except for treadwear as a rule....
    Last edited by hypurone; 05-14-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: v speeed rating

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

T rated tire is better. Softer side walls; the tire is rated for a much heaver machine (car) you will be putting the tire on a bike at a fraction of the weight. so go with the softer side wall.
    2012 RTL , Brown

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

So you’ve got 2 votes for V and 1 for T. I run the T only because that is what is generally available. I get 20,000 miles with great handling in wet and dry conditions, my F3T won’t pull me and my trailer at 118 mph so I’m not gonna even try for 130 mph!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

T Rated is 118 MPH continuous, H rating is 130 MPH continuous, V rated is 149 MPH continuous.

On Tire Rack it shows the Altimax 205/60R15 H rated (130 MPH) tire is 2 lbs heavier (20 lbs) than the T rated (118 MPH rated) (18 lbs). That 2 lbs is going to make it a harsher ride, but maybe not by much. I'll see how it does when my tire arrives tomorrow.

The Kenda front tires I took off were 2 lbs heavier than the car tires I put on. They were H rated, while I used the T rated car tires. I can definitely say the car tires drive and ride better than the Kenda OEM tires.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

I think you'd be hard pressed to tell if there was any real difference in the ride between a T rated tire and a V rated tire, even if they were otherwise identical (& few are!) Our Spyders just aren't set up with that type or degree of 'tight suspension & frame rigidity' in them!! There's just waaay too much bush & frame flex, and the OE shocks & coils are pretty forgiving & cushy too, so any difference between the two different tire ratings will just get lost in amongst all the other little bits of flex & cushiness & give!

But tire wear & life, you might possibly notice a little difference between the two there. Possibly, you might even notice some difference the various compound's heat tolerance brings to how 'grippy' the tire feels in its handling, so you might be able to tell there's a difference in handling performance at the extremities of the Spyder's capability, IF you ever get your Spyder out there!! But really, both of those tires are going to be so much MORE tire than what our Spyders actually need that you'll very likely never reach the tires extremities! And if you've come straight off the Kendas, you'll just be so happy about how much better everything feels that any/everything else will just blur into the background noise until it comes around to tire replacement again! And that's a little difficult to predict, not only because of the different ryding styles, conditions, & loads etc that each ryder might have, but also because most tire manufacturers have their own little secrets & tricks that they believe make the critical difference in their tires vs anyone elses & between their tires various ratings!! Altho they do test tires to destruction to arrive at those ratings, so if you plan on ryding at sustained speeds in excess of 149mph........

H0gr1der, YOU might get a little better tire life out of the V rated tire than SpyderAnn would if she ran one, but I expect the T rated tires she runs will be much better suited to her ryding needs than a V rated tire would be anyway, simply because of the number of long miles with relatively high loads while travelling at less than the V fast speeds that she tends to ryde & that I doubt you do or will do frequently, so it's not really a fair comparison. Maybe you'd get better tire life from a T rated tire as well, but would that come at the loss of some degree of traction or wet road grip over what you'll get with the V rated tire?! I don't really know, & I think you'd be hard pressed to tell too, at least without either/both of us spending some quality time on a skid pan with some pretty expensive testing gear. Either way, I'm firmly of the opinion that either rated version of these tires will suit your ryding needs/wants significantly better than the OE Spec Kendas do, so I reckon you are already onto a winner there..... the little differences that might be gained by running a T rated tire versus a V rated tire or vice versa are really going to be minor when you stack them up against the fairly significant benefits you've already felt between running the Kendas & running a 'real' car tire at or around the right pressure for the load! And then there's the expected tire wear & life benefits between a Kenda tire & any other car tire too. So you're a winner already, it probably doesn't pay to get too stressed over the minutiae.... Well, that is unless someone wants to pay me to do that testing, of course?? I've got some skid pan time due!?! Anyone?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post

Thanks
    Well actually it is a Brainer …… the ratings for both those tires are different ….. the " T " rated one is better …..I have said this many times over the years ….. Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Well, yes and no. The speed ratings on tires are for maximum sustained speeds. Most will never see the max speed much less sustain it! A T rated tire is rated to 118mph and a V rated to 130mph. But, there are other factors that go along with the speed rating such as: tread compounds that relate to more/less traction & treadwear, sidewall compound/construction, ride comfort, cornering and general handling etc.

A V rated tire will outperform the T rated tire in all areas except for treadwear as a rule....
    Not so with the Altimax

Spyder Garage

I was ignorant when I made my choice, right now if I had to do it over again I'd go with the T rated tire. I'm a cruiser, not a racer. Heck, the RTL I bought would out corner my 2 wheel cruiser on the OE Kenda tires. The Vredestein T rated front's I put on there are impressive, to say the least. I've read about a ton of paper on tire selection and setup, both for cruising and racing. A lot of stuff there. A T rated tire will save you on unsprung weight over an H or V rated tire. Have to see on the tread wear though. I've been doing pressure testing runs on the fronts, down to 18 PSI with only 2 PSI buildup over 1 hour. I expected more. Next- 16 PSI in the fronts, looking for 4 PSI buildup. Wonder how the V rated rear will pan out, pressure wise?
    h0gr1der

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I got myself a Khumo ECSTA AST 225/50R15 which is a good looking tire. The bike shop WILL NOT mount it. Where do you get your non-oem tires mounted??
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I found an independent shop here in Taylors SC to get the Kumho mounted.

https://www.cyclespecialtiesperformance.com/
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey