Spyder Garage

Default 1330 oil drain plug

The 1330 oil drain plug has an extended shank for o rings between the plug and gasket sealing surface and the threads. Other than providing additional sealing for the oil drain plug do the o rings have any other purpose as sealing an oil passage or routing some oil? Or could the proper length/size drain plug with out o rings be used.

Spyder Garage

The 1330 has a dry sump oil system with the oil tank and crankcase internal to the block. The plug goes through both the crankcase and into the sump. Pulling the plug drains both. The o-rings seal one from the other. Installing a plug with no o ring will cause oil to drain back from the sump to the crankcase and overwhelm the evacuation pump.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

BRP went through a lot of trouble designing and building that fancy plug. My advice is to use it and change the O rings regularly
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default See above....

Treat it kindly and don't overtighten as that plug with o-rings runs about $40.00 and probably more at the dealer. Some things are best left alone and this would be one of them. O-rings and crush washer run about $6.00.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Treat it kindly and don't overtighten as that plug with o-rings runs about $40.00 and probably more at the dealer. Some things are best left alone and this would be one of them. O-rings and crush washer run about $6.00.
    Gene I'm 99.99% sure the plug is Stainless Steel , I would worry about the Aluminum case it threads into as the thing that will get damaged ….. and yes I have heard of DIMPLE brand plugs breaking at the threaded section ….. but I'm pretty sure the thin walls caused that …… jmho ….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Gene I'm 99.99% sure the plug is Stainless Steel , I would worry about the Aluminum case it threads into as the thing that will get damaged ….. and yes I have heard of DIMPLE brand plugs breaking at the threaded section ….. but I'm pretty sure the thin walls caused that …… jmho ….. Mike
    I don't think it is SS. Stainless steel and aluminum don't play well together. You can readily get severe galvanic corrosion in the aluminum that is in contact with stainless steel. I'm sure BRP engineers wouldn't make that mistake. More likely the plugs are corrosion resistant treated steel.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks jcthorne. The exact information I was looking for., And all who responded. I wasn't concerned about the costs of the o rings. After several different dealer oil changes, on the road, I discovered the T45 Torx is " worn " when I did the last oil change.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
    After several different dealer oil changes, on the road, I discovered the T45 Torx is " worn " when I did the last oil change.
    You sure you're using the right wrench? One of the drain plugs is Torx, the other is hex.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
    Thanks jcthorne. The exact information I was looking for., And all who responded. I wasn't concerned about the costs of the o rings. After several different dealer oil changes, on the road, I discovered the T45 Torx is " worn " when I did the last oil change.
    .... The " Hex " plug has a much deeper cavity / hole, than the torx ….. and it holds the tool better …. I only changed the Torx to a Hex Head plug ( Gold brand ) …… something I learned years ago from a mechanic was to set your Ratchet to loosen / remove prior to using it ….. because the oil procedure is generally done up-side down, it's easy to get it wrong and mis-takenly TIGHTEN instead of loosen …. with tragic results ….. Mike