Spyder Garage

Default so whats its used for

so the ryker was meant to be for the younger hip trendy gens.to go the shops and small trip with their cool mates,not really a tourer.so whats the opinion now.seems to be a lot mods going on and people talking about touring.maybe brp guessed wrong.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do not understand your question. Touring coast to coast and border to border and every where in between has been going on in the USA from the beginning, on foot, horse back, Bicycles, standard no fairing etc motorcycles and so much more. A touring vehicle is anything that you decide to use to tour on. I once took a 550 mile trip on a 50cc Mobeylette moped. A good friend of mine has ridden a Bicycle two different times from Charleston, SC to Seattle, Wa and back.......Two different times.

The adventure of "Touring" is entirely up to you.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

For decades, people have been purchasing and converting vehicles/motorcycles for unintended purposes. I've had my fair share of "sports bikes" that were converted into "sports touring" bikes simply because I wanted something light/nimble yet capable of traveling long distances. I think the Ryker falls into the same category. It's a very capable and affordable ride that will surely bring popularity to 3 wheeled vehicles.

Spyder Garage

I plan to go long distance on my Ryker. A few details to work out. But as long as it will keep running for a few thousand mile trek, (which I fully expect it to do) why not?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I rode more tha 40.000 miles with Spyders in the last ten years (was verhappy with them), now (retired) I wanted a more "sporty" unit, needed also a while to understand for what this Ryker is built..
    (many Spyder-owners have problems with the low basic-Price and also with the size and so on ..)

much better performance on our curvy roads than all my Spyders (FOX on the back / swaybar) - perfect very strong Rotax engine, maximal-speed is for me total OK - reach around 190 miles for the next fill-up .. and can finally ride all this gravel roads what we hve here in the Alps - thats for touring
    added a small adjustable windshield and a 34 L Topcase with lower seat for my Girl ..(we have only 300 lbs together ..)
    (the last 2.400 miles absolut no Problems with it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I plan to go long distance on my Ryker. A few details to work out. But as long as it will keep running for a few thousand mile trek, (which I fully expect it to do) why not?
    Yes, you still have a few states to gather in! Maine and New Hampshire are worth the extra effort. And then there's AK.....I'm headed there in June for the 4th time but NOT on the Ryker. Lack of space and old body are the main reasons.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Default Gonna say....

I'm sure BRP is aware that the Ryker will be modified to suit the ryder. They are hoping to get other sectors to get interested in ryding them and then even helping them modify them to suit their ryding style. Maybe even getting those that can to add one to their stable as the short range sport vehicle as some have already done. As mentioned above the are many bikes out there that were not intended for what they ended up being used for..... you should see the mods in the third world
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I think the actual buyer demographics vs the Marketing Dept's forecast might have been a bit of a surprise to the BRP decision makers, but that was probably nowhere near such a surprise to anyone with a solid riding background & a broader awareness of how many of us really don't mind growing older disgracefully or still chasing the thrills of riding!! I feel that there's still a noticeable bias in how Corporate BRP view of their target market - broadly, they see Spyder Ryders as being older, more cashed up maybe, certain,y more desirous of all the creature comforts, possibly even a little restricted or compromised in their mobility, and along with all those things, they seem to think that BECAUSE for some of us those things may (or may not?!) be valid assumptions, so there simply cannot be any of us who really WANT to push the limits a bit (or lot!) more than we currently can on our rydes &/or maybe even explore further than just the blacktop & take on some of the less well maintained roads and surfaces out there!?!

And while at least initially the BRP Marketing mob thought that Rykers would only attract those younger buyers and those more desirous of sporty performance, but it seems fairly obvious that they have to a significant degree, messed that up & not hit the mark!! Sure, there are some younger buyers, maybe even as many as they initially forecast, but there clearly have been WAAAYYYY more buyers from amongst the existing Spyder Ryding community than they ever expected! Some selling their Spyders and moving to a Ryker; some adding a Ryker to their stable; but overall, the broad ranging spectrum of Ryker buyers should be seen as the market making a VERY LOUD statement about what they want! It is obvious that many Spyder Ryders WANT the Sportier performance offered by Rykers; they WANT to ride on a variety of surfaces like the Rykers; they WANT the option of selecting Sport or Rally settings in order to get the sprightly & nimble behaviour that Rykers get with those options; in fact, heaps of us WANT many if not all of those Ryker Features in our Rydes, even if we DON'T WANT to lose all the comfort features we have on our Spyders! And many of us, both Ryker & Spyder buyers, simply DON'T WANT to be restricted to just one arguably crappy brand/type of tire regardless of whether we ryde a Spyder or a Ryker!! Neither do we feel that BRP is being helpful & proactive in their dealings with customers, Dealers, &/or selecting & supporting their good Dealers!

So at the moment, it seems the management at BRP are clearly MISREADING to a significant degree what their existing Spyder Market is yelling at them; they are MISREADING what the expanding Ryker Market is yelling at them; they are MISSING (or ignoring?)that many of us WANT a much wider range & free-er selection of tires and that they could be doing a whole lot better in their customer & Dealer service, support, & Dealer selection; AND that many of the Ryker features would clearly be sought after if those features expanded into the Spyder Range (maybe at the cost of a questionable digital dash & phone/app interface?) just as many of the existing Spyder features would be attractive to Ryker buyers!

But that's just what I think?! What do YOU think?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

yep sums it up for me.

Spyder Garage

Although your comments are poignant, I’m not totally on board. Under normal automobile purchasing processes, one doesn’t select the tires the manufacturer installs. It is all financially driven. Some of the specialty autos have tires designed for them by the big boys...and they don’t wear as well as the tires for the masses. BRP is no different, finances play THE major role in dictating which tire is used and thus the OEM says special motorcycle use only.

As to the demographics of the Spyder rider vs the Ryker rider, you may be correct but either way, BRP is going to the bank with a smile... as to the dealers, can’t agree more (because of SOME). Someday some of the ‘those’ dealers might get their heads out of their asses and satisfy the customer (and BRP too).