Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Eco Mode - What is this thing actually doing

Has anyone received a genuine explanation of what Eco Mode on an RT Ltd actually does from BRP.

I called customer support which was as about as helpful as asking my 4 yr old granddaughter. Spoke with a dealership and it became very clear he was "assembling an answer" in his head - so I hit him with "do you really know or are you guessing or making **** up?" Reply "guessing!"

Are there any BRP employees on these forums who can explain what it does.

I have found at times it works, and at others turns the fuel consumption to that resembling an afterburner in an F16 fighter jet.

Is it just a Gimmick?

So dear Mr BRP - I know us customers are a right royal pain in the Derrier but can you respond, anyone ??? Being able to use the darn thing in situations that it is designed for would be of great help
    Last edited by askitee; 05-12-2019 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

ECO mode runs a detuned engine map, so it won't accelerate as hard, etc.
    It also enables a "shift light" supposedly telling you the optimum shift point
    for maximum mileage efficiency.
    In ECO mode, it still makes plenty of power in my opinion, it just arrives
    with a softer hit . The shift light, I don't even look at it, and shift by the seat of my pants.
    That's it. So if you want snappier response, leave ECO off.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    ECO mode runs a detuned engine map, so it won't accelerate as hard, etc.
    It also enables a "shift light" supposedly telling you the optimum shift point
    for maximum mileage efficiency.
    In ECO mode, it still makes plenty of power in my opinion, it just arrives
    with a softer hit . The shift light, I don't even look at it, and shift by the seat of my pants.
    That's it. So if you want snappier response, leave ECO off.
    ………… if you desire a completely " Technical " explanation, I'm pretty sure that will have to come from BRP ….. don't hold your breath …… the info is what's know as " proprietary knowledge " ie. company secrets …. this is NEVER shared …… all the best …. Mike ……….as a footnote - the ECO mode isn't as bad as most folks think / claim …… I was at the Spyderfest Drags this year and did pretty well against all comers ( even the F-3 ) …. I lost my last race ( for the prize ) by about 20 ft...… I later discovered - all the time I had been racing ...I WAS IN ECO MODE ………….

Spyder Garage

isnt it explained in the owners book,or am i remembering wrong again.

Spyder Garage

The operator's guide explains what you see on cluster and how to get in and out of ECO mode but the picture shows what's happening to the engine power curve; it essentially flattens it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My question was "Do I break my engine in (First 600 miles) in Eco mode"? I chose not to, because I made the Ass-umption that Eco would run the engine leaner, and that is never good for heat. Figured I'd do Eco when the rings were completely seated. Any opinions? There was no guidance in the book.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    My question was "Do I break my engine in (First 600 miles) in Eco mode"? I chose not to, because I made the Ass-umption that Eco would run the engine leaner, and that is never good for heat. Figured I'd do Eco when the rings were completely seated. Any opinions? There was no guidance in the book.
    It sounds like the " break-in period " has been performed …. soooooooooooooo it's moot , but what you did was fine …. no issues with doing it with ECO on ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

As JayBros shows in the chart, the throttle input is cut to 60-70%. And for those wanting to match the sound of the engine to acceptable shifting points and RPM, the green arrow as 4Marie said shows you when to shift. Both allow you to optimize for a more Economical choice of ryding style. Your choice is still there on when to hit the shift lever, and as Mike says you still have an acceptable acceleration and performance.

If you choose to ignore it OR use ECO, the 1330 is still a strong torquer and provides lots of FUN and performance. Smyle and RYDE, It's all Good!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

TorqueCurve1330.doc Back when the 1330 came out the adds touted the flat torque curve and Viola! , BRP added the ECO button. Since there is plenty of oomph to shift even at 2000 RPM and pull thru the gears, the engineers programmed in the light coming on from as low as 2000 RPM up through about 2700 RPM showing when load, and engine RPM conditions were okay to shift.

ECO doesnt guarantee better mpg, since you still decide when you push the shift lever, and how high you run the RPMs ....for best fuel economy, you can do it yourself by shifting at lower RPM when load allows, and holding speed/RPM below 60mph/3000 RPM. Your ryding style, patience, preference... your Ryde! ECO just shows you when it is acceptable without lugging.

Spyder Garage

I can’t get my eco mode to turn off ..?
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Stu - you are right....had a boy look myself it seems.

Thanks 4 Marie your response is more indepth
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Page 33 OM? Hold Mode button for more than 2 seconds?

Spyder Garage

When I got my 2014 RTS, I faithfully ran a full tank of gas on ECO mode. I shifted up when it told me to. I got about one mile per gallon extra.

I found the idiot light distracting. Bottom line, I do not use ECO.
    No noticeable performance issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Changed the oil on my 2017 RTL a few weeks ago and then went for a long ride. Found a nice long stretch of straight and lonely rode and did a little experiment (I know, hard to break the engineer in me). Ran the bike back and forth from 20 mph to 70 mph and in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. With the throttle held at the same degree of rotation all the ECO mode seemed to do was remap the throttle potentiometer by roughly 400 RPM (reduced RPM in ECO). Doesn't really answer the question if there is any engine retuing going on, or anything else. But obviously the take away was less throttle rotation required for the same amount of RPM, soooooo ECO off gets my up through the RPMs faster. If any of that makes sense.

Spyder Garage

" I got about one mile per gallon extra. "

So anecdotally from your experience and from what Mike said about his bike pulling down the track just about as well, unless we can hear any "secrets" from BRP, I'm guessing that the only change is to the fly by wire throttle opening to about 60-70% opening as shown on the chart 4 Marie posted, and that any engine detuning is negligible....JMHO

How quickly you "roll it on", and the maximum RPMs you get to are up to you..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ECO mode is there to make BRP's cheap rear tire last longer.

Spyder Garage

ECO Mode might be something the enviro-weenies in Canada mandated. Makes them feel better about themselves. More virtue-signaling than engineering.

Spyder Garage

I told my Riding club leader that the dash kept "Giving me the finger." and he almost split a gut laughing.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

My experience has been that eco mode is not very noticeable most of the .But when you need to pass out on the highway from like 60 to 80 mph it does take longer.As far as mpg,very little difference for me,but if I cruise at 80 Im getting like 31 or 32 mpg but if I drop to 65 then Im up to like 36.I think the mileage is crappy either way and I hate cruising slow.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I never use ECO mode.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I can't say I know exactly what it does, but I do know there was a noteable difference on my 2016 RTSS this morning from my 2018 RTL in ECO Mode yesterday. I noticed ECO mode on and tried unsuccessfully twice to turn it off. I finally just left it on the rest of my evening riding. When I got out the 2016 this morning, the throttle action was completely different (much quicker response) I'm going to turn it on this afternoon on the 2016 to see if there is a change. Could be the difference in the break-in period on the 2018 < 600 miles, and the fact that the 2016 has 11K on it. We will see. I'm reconsidering my desire to sell the 2016 after my ride this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Has anyone received a genuine explanation of what Eco Mode on an RT Ltd actually does from BRP.

I called customer support which was as about as helpful as asking my 4 yr old granddaughter. Spoke with a dealership and it became very clear he was "assembling an answer" in his head - so I hit him with "do you really know or are you guessing or making **** up?" Reply "guessing!"

Are there any BRP employees on these forums who can explain what it does.

I have found at times it works, and at others turns the fuel consumption to that resembling an afterburner in an F16 fighter jet.

Is it just a Gimmick?

So dear Mr BRP - I know us customers are a right royal pain in the Derrier but can you respond, anyone ??? Being able to use the darn thing in situations that it is designed for would be of great help
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Hmmmm...I wonder if, after I installed the new Firmware update that shows the remaining mileage for the amount of fuel remaining, if having my Spyder in ECO vs non-ECO mode will change the amount of miles remaining that is displayed. Would seem that if ECO mode is a "fuel saver" and "mileage increaser", the remaining miles shown should be higher when I am in ECO mode.

Naw! Probably wouldn't work that way for everybody (especially on my Spyder with the new firmware already installed) because different people throttle their Spyders differently regardless of WHAT mode they are in.

But it SOUNDS like a good idea.

Me? I always run ECO mode OFF. I WANT the extra "Ooompfff! available when I might NEED it...like passing another vehicle. I can control myself not to "overuse" the throttle all other times.

Plus, if saving the cost of a couple miles per gallon is all ECO mode is gonna do, I shouldn't have bought a $20,000+ vehicle in the first place. I coulda bought a more eco-friendly ride like a motorized skateboard.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hi Askitee,
    I have found that when in "eco" mode it has a detuned feel to acceleration, not much but some, say 10% (guessing). But I notice that in "eco" mode I get much better fuel milage. I too don't use the the little arrow for shifting, but go by the sound of the revs. Just my 2cents. Using eco or not is a personal choice. Out for a little cruise with wifey, I'll use ECO. When I'm out with the guys on a club ride, I won't.

Spyder Garage

Never thought much about the eco button other than 'better mileage'....but in order to start the engine you have to push the mode button and that controls the eco light...as far as an 'arrow' light to shift, I'll have to pay closer attention to the dash .....instead of enjoying the ride so much....the 1330 is 'Awesome'!!!!!!