Spyder Garage

Default Letter to shad, givi, etc. Saddlebags

Hi all.
    First of all I want to apologize for not knowing English and having to use the google translator. I have been trying for a couple of months to think about how to install two side suitcases, also having the passenger seat installed.
    As I still have not found a solution, I thought about sending letters to the panniers manufacturers to design something for us. Here I copy the letter I sent to GIVI and SHAD.

"Hi.
    My name is Eugenio, I have a motorcycle CAN AM RYKER 900. I get in touch with you to ask if you have planned the design and subsequent marketing of saddlebags for this motorcycle.
    Currently CAN AM only sells a suitcase, of the brand SHAD, which is located on the side of the motorcycle, leaving it totally asymmetric.
    I am currently designing a forum dedicated to this vehicle and I am in contact, through various European and North American forums with multiple users of these vehicles. One of the most repeated concerns is the need for some manufacturer to design the installation of TWO saddlebags (one on each side) for the RYKER. For this reason, I am getting in touch with the most important brands to transfer this desire, not exempt of economic interest for these multinationals. In the end we talk about consumers with certain needs that are not met.
    Without another particular, attentively."

I think that the more letters they receive asking for the same, the more chances we will have to get it.
    What is your opinion?

CAN AM RYKER 900 ACE.
    Madrid - ESPAŅA

Spyder Garage

It certainly can't hurt to try Eugenio, and what you've posted above is as good a start as any!

I would've been on a Ryker Rally already, IF it had proper panniers/saddlebags and a top box, but without those then to me it's barely attractive or useful even as a toy! Given a good a/mkt full set of bags option, I could be interested again!

Thanks for starting this off here!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-03-2019 at 03:18 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think the problem is the "static" of the max-mount adapter - I could not find out for how much max-weight it is built - the single case on the side hangs on a extra "frame" so this is not fixed the max-mount ! I used a simple remove-able plate which lays on the max-mount - the only possibility I saw to fix a seat cushion for 2up and a standard topcase, I don't see an (official) option for a rack to attach two side cases in the Moment ..

the only chance would be to produce a completet new "max-mount" which should be 10" longer and unloaded much higher on the back - maybe we get something in the future, when BRP offers the Ryker-touring Version !
    (but the rest of the Ryker is perfect - for us best touring-machine they ever built- 2.000 miles on mine now)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I think they could make the adapters very similar to the one on the right side, but raising enough to not rub against the rear wheel arm. They could do it perfectly.
    Let's hope...
    My Ryker has a week ... I'm crazy happy

Spyder Garage

When I wanted side cases for my Yamaha Majesty scooter, Shad did not have a mounting kit for it, so I found a custom motorcycle shop that could adapt/modify mounting brackets designed for another make, similar sized scooter. I ordered Shad cases and brackets, and it was not very expensive for them to adapt to my bike. Worked great!

So with my large top case, two large side boxes, and under seat storage, I could pretty much carry a week's worth of groceries!

Spyder Garage

Yes, that is another option. The truth is that I have been looking for supports for other motorcycles for some time. Let's see if there is luck and find one that is worth for our Ryker.

Spyder Garage

I imagine with the popularity of the Ryker growing daily someone in the aftermarket will design a luggage system that incorporates a second pannier and maybe even a top box. It's not going to happen overnight. Sadly there is more to the equation than just designing a new bracket. Will the bikes frame support the weight of another loaded (probably overloaded) pannier? What will this do to the handling and braking capabilities of the bike? It isn't much fun adding extra luggage and weight to a bike and getting many miles from home just to find a crack in the frame or to find out the hard way that the bike now handles like a garbage truck with a flat tire. Prototypes and testing will need to be developed and may well be underway now. Patience grasshopper.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default En tiempo....

guess the issue is the driveshaft system used on the rykers. I'm sure they are working on it but if you or others out there come up with some ideas they would be happy to hear about them and consider them in the R&D department.Buena suerte with the site you have planned....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It does not hurt to inquire. As popular as the Ryker seems...I am guessing that the "aftermarket" will be on the situation as well. Who will win the race?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Obviously, it will be a matter of time. I think they have to have enough calculations to launch the double saddlebag On the question of weights, you're right, but I think the saddlebags fall within the authorized weight margins, the weight of the pilot and passenger varies a lot, as you know.
    Looking at the adapter of the saddlebag that currently exists, I think that raising 15 cm the current situation would allow the installation of the two saddlebags.
    As you say, we will have patience

Spyder Garage

A Kuryakyn rep was at Lamontster’s Garage this week and she said they’re working on saddlebags for the Ryker. Lamont offers a Kuryakyn tail bag, which he currently has on his Ryker. Saw another Ryker at Lamont’s place today and it has a Shad SH58X top case on it. The owner said he had to drill a couple of holes to make it work with the Max Mount.
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

Maybe the people at www.greatbikegear.com, the Easy Bracket people can figure it out.
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UgeIon View Post
    Obviously, it will be a matter of time. I think they have to have enough calculations to launch the double saddlebag On the question of weights, you're right, but I think the saddlebags fall within the authorized weight margins, the weight of the pilot and passenger varies a lot, as you know.
    Looking at the adapter of the saddlebag that currently exists, I think that raising 15 cm the current situation would allow the installation of the two saddlebags.
    As you say, we will have patience
    You would probably have to move the mounting point of the bags further back if you raise it. Otherwise the passenger's legs would probably be rubbing against the bags.

Spyder Garage

Exactly, elevation and position delayed, I think it's possible.

Spyder Garage

Having just ridden my Rally 494 miles Saturday, I see no need for more luggage capacity. The top box I fitted will hold all I need for a two day trip. This is NOT a touring motorcycle! I was planning on riding it another 500 miles to my home in New Mexico but after yesterday, I think it will get trailered! So my solution to the saddlebag issue is to use the top box and keep the riding to shorter trips!

Spyder Garage

My friend, everyone has their needs. Initially no motorbikes have been made to travel, but people travel with them and use suitcases. What I want is to be able to travel with her, so I raise the issue of carrying two saddlebags. I do not propose to go around the world with the Ryker, I just want to go a few days with my wife with enough luggage, nothing more.

Spyder Garage

I am just going to wait till the aftermarket catches up to Rykers and offers out of the box case solutions.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

In case you haven't seen this thread, this is a very elegant solution, and exactly what I want for a Ryker.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ighlight=cases

And I agree with you UgeIon - Any motorcycle can be a touring motorcycle, especially for one person. People would say my SV650 isn't a touring motorcycle, but I have hard bags and have done 3,000 mile trips carrying enough equipment to camp solo for 10 days on it.