Thread: SE5 question

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 question

Hello all I’m new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2010 SE5 for my wife from rumble on. Upon delivery I took it for a ride and got a check transmission light. The light only comes on when I get on it and will immediately goes away if I shift up or down. If I keep it in that gear that the light comes on in howeverit will get stuck in that gear loose all power and eventually shut off. If I let it sit with the key off for a few minutes it goes back to normal. It seems like if I don’t get into it’s fine. I did check the oil level and it’s good. I’m new to these SE5s as I have a SM5 and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Check or have the gear position sensor looked at. I spray a bit of electrical contact cleaner into the paddle shift housing occasionally to keep it operating smoothly.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WMO87 View Post
    Hello all I’m new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2010 SE5 for my wife from rumble on. Upon delivery I took it for a ride and got a check transmission light. The light only comes on when I get on it and will immediately goes away if I shift up or down. If I keep it in that gear that the light comes on in howeverit will get stuck in that gear loose all power and eventually shut off. If I let it sit with the key off for a few minutes it goes back to normal. It seems like if I don’t get into it’s fine. I did check the oil level and it’s good. I’m new to these SE5s as I have a SM5 and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    & ….. Some info ….. When you shut it off - remove the key and take it away from the ignition switch ( at 0ne foot away ) this will actually allow the computer to reset.... works better than just shutting it off. …. you may already know this, but the V-Twin has a slightly different oil check procedure that the 1300 eng. ….. imho opinion it's more finicky trying to get it right ,..... I only check my Oil AFTER a normal day of riding …. this guarantee's the Temp. is correct ….. the early Spyders had issues with the gear position sensor , this may be the issue ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Mine had the transmission message now and again and changed the handlebar gear switch complete - the little micro switch plays up.
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )