Spyder Garage

Default RYKER VSS System ?

maybe someone knows exact what the Ryker-VSS is doing in the diferent modes, (not only whats written in the manual) ...
    a dealer thinks, in the "sport-mode" everthing is switched off ..
    on what speed the Rally-mode is "cancelled" ..
    things like that ..

couldn`t get the detail from BRP and it seems most of the Dealers also have no facts about it ..

Chris
    (2.400 miles on mine !)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Good morning Chris! At least it's morning here in Texas! Good question, not sure if there is an answer. I had my Rally in the dirt yesterday and in Rally Mode I expected to be sliding around the corners; didn't happen. IF I got on the gas hard in a tight corner, I could break it loose but it took a lot to do so. I don't know if it is because the Nanny is working or if it is that fat rear tire gripping so well! It was my impression, both from the dealer and the forum, that Rally mode cut the VSS back to near 0.

Spyder Garage

I've had quite a bit of experience in deep sand and my conclusions are Rally cuts everything off and in sport everything is still there, just delayed before it kicks in. I've had it come to a complete stop in eco, just won't take gas. Switching to sport, it revved higher but would still bog out. Anymore, if I see deep sand I make sure I'm in rally before going into it.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Rode on dirt and gravel this weekend, first time. I ran it in Rally mode but I really had to work at it to get the rear end to come around on gravel corners. It had to be a sharp corner and then lots of throttle before it would break loose. Not sure what I am experiencing in Rally mode.....

Spyder Garage

In the owners manual, pages 44-45, it generally explains what the different modes are and do.

Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm mistaken about Rally mode. I don't use mine on fast cornering, just on straight shots in deep sand and mud or anything low traction that I need the higher RPM's without it bogging out. I did try to spin around on a narrow dirt road once rather than backing up and it didn't work. I'm sure the traction control goes away but the 'cornering or slip angle' control may stay, just relaxed some. That would explain my inability to spin around on the dirt road and your difficulty in sliding in the corners (will do it, just takes some gas). This is probably a good thing. Without traction control and the power that thing has, you could get into trouble real fast on a corner with limited traction! I know the dirt roads I go on, in Rally mode I can be holding it at a constant throttle and when it hits some loose dirt or sand, the back end will break loose and fishtail a little bit. Not bad, but just enough to add some fun. It doesn't do that in Eco mode, you have to gas it a little to break it loose. So, gas it around the corners if you want and have some fun knowing it's not going to let you get too far out of control. That's why I enjoy riding where I do. It's like a carnival ride, you're having fun and it's scary sometimes but you know you're pretty safe. So just ride and enjoy.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

My thoughts are even in Rally Mode on gravel/sand etc. The VSS/traction control is off. But the long wheel base and large rear tire on the Rally has very good traction with the VSS off. Just my theory.

Spyder Garage

Which specific VSS are you specifically talking about?

They are a plethora of acronyms for it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Which specific VSS are you specifically talking about?
    They are a plethora of acronyms for it.
    on what speed the rear wheel is "controlled" - when the handlbars are turned ..
    different to Sport mode - more RPMs or really more power
    plan a longer (solo) tour now - if I use the 2up mode - would that help to spare some fuel or not ?

just a simple technical list - what happens in what mode - on my Spder I knew all that !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats