Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 T, does one need to remove a bag in order to pull the rear wheel?

EOM Kenda lasted less than 13K which sucks and I ain't puttin on another one. I watched a you tube video about pulling the rear wheel, but that was an F3 (not T). Curious if one needs to pull the OEM saddlebag in order to pull the axle and release the rear wheel. I would try it, but I'm on the road. TIA
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

No. Axle slides out to the left. Raise rear enough that the wheel can roll out.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

It's not necessary to remove a bag. Remove the rear brake, jack up the Spyder, the wheel will drop to allow access to the wheel bolts, lower the bike and remove the axle.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Much appreciated. How about getting the tire mounted on the rim? Any tire shop??

PS. the rear fender center piece can be removed too.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you have a motorcycle tire shop near you they can likely mount and balance it for you. Motorcycle dealers will sometimes do it as well. Let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages and call first!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Will call the Can Am power sports here in SC to see what they say. Most will not mount a tire they did not sell to you though as has been my experience with my Goldwings.

Spyder Garage

From my experience. Almost all car tire shops can mount the new rear tire for you. Almost none can balance it. I used beads the last time. That is if they are willing to do it. Motorcycle shops can mount the new rear tire and likely balance it too. Would be highly likely to do the whole job for you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No need to remove a saddlebag, if you get the tire mounted and they can’t balance it, get some stick on weights and use the axle between 2 jack stands to find the heavy spot.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    From my experience. Almost all car tire shops can mount the new rear tire for you. Almost none can balance it. I used beads the last time. That is if they are willing to do it. Motorcycle shops can mount the new rear tire and likely balance it too. Would be highly likely to do the whole job for you.
    Will be getting on the phone to Power Sports in Greenville Tuesday. It's pay them or spend $100 on a jack.... but, with Harbor freight's generous return policy, I might just "borrow" a jack. I don't have one that will lift her high enough. THX much. It has been my experience that the bike shop won't mount if you did not buy from them.

One can insert the beads through the valve stem. Used to do that on my wing tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    No need to remove a saddlebag, if you get the tire mounted and they can’t balance it, get some stick on weights and use the axle between 2 jack stands to find the heavy spot.
    I have done that as well. Good suggestion!

Spyder Garage

As I said, the bike shop will NOT put anything on the F3-T but the kenda. Won't mount a khumo or anything else. So, I'm on my own here.

Spyder Garage

I found an independent shop here in Taylors SC to get the Kumho mounted.

>CLICK ME<

Spyder Garage

With a little help from my aircraft mechanic daughter (USAF Charleston) got the wheel off. More photos to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I hope that's the new tire waiting to go on?!

Lookin good tho! Shouldn't be too long now, but we are all waiting to see what you think once it's on & you can go do some ryding!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just like my GL1800, a new tire makes all the difference in the world! Khumo ECSTA AST 225/50R15 installed - H rated and running 25 PSI. What a difference over the junk Kenda. Less wandering, smooths minor (and major) road hazards/bumps, incredible traction and corners like it's on rails! Can't be more pleased. Here is a the video clip that I played on the GL1800 site when I got a new tire on that bike. Glad to see it's also true with the F3T. Injoy!

]

Spyder Garage

That was not my experience with the Kumho Ecsta tire. Installed one on my 2013 STL several years ago. I found it to be absolutely awful. Traction on gray pavement was bad and on wet pavement was simply terrible. Replaced it long before it was worn out because I could not take it anymore.

I hope you have better luck.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    That was not my experience with the Kumho Ecsta tire. Installed one on my 2013 STL several years ago. I found it to be absolutely awful. Traction on gray pavement was bad and on wet pavement was simply terrible. Replaced it long before it was worn out because I could not take it anymore.

I hope you have better luck.
    Maybe the F3 is just a different animal. Apparently it is different. With the Kenda - pin the throttle at a dead stop and the rear tire would spin and depending on the grain of the pavement, it would smoke . With the Khumo ECSTA AST 225/50R15 installed, it won't do that anymore . Don't know how I'm gonna impress the girls now . Traction just breaks my neck !!

Wet? I'm 70 and ride for pleasure. Likely won't find out about that.