Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Alaska to Arkansas

Yesterday (5/10) was our final day at the house. Packers came the day before and got everything ready. All three motorcycles were picked up to be hauled away and crated for the big move. They will be riding on a platform in the van with my household goods. We will see how good that works out.

After the house was cleaned out...we headed to a local motel for a one night stay. Went out to supper with family members for final good byes.

Saturday (5/11) we stopped at our favorite breakfast place one last time. By 9:00 we were on the road for our first leg of the journey. We started easy, a little over 300 miles, and ended up at TOK, AK. We are about 90 miles from the Canadian Border. We intend to go a bit further with at least Whitehorse YT or further as our next destination. We are not making reservations as we do not know how far we will get each day.

The roads were pretty good to Tok. About 20 miles of assorted frost heaves scattered amongst the last 100 miles of the journey.

The scenery was spectacular...but so big, that a camera does not capture it well. Those who have already traveled AK know what I am talking about.

We pretty much had the road to ourselves once we got 100 miles from home. Most of the traffic was fifth wheels, Class A's, and trailers. Glad they were going inbound.

That is today's adventure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

what an adventure, and a big step at any age. thanks for the travel tales, and keep them coming.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I was about to give you a hard time for not posting but then you did. Thanks AR, i want food reviews on this trip. The number of gut busting options are probably unlimited.

Drive safe buddy!

LC
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have a very safe journey.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Travelling

You know I wish you all the best..... also hope the weather is in your favor ….. Footnote : I just drove back from Spyderfest in Mo. …. 1420 miles in 28.5 hrs...… 10 hrs less than going there …… Yep I'm a drive-a-holic …… Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

We stayed at a delightful bed and breakfast dog sled place in Whitehorse called Muk Tuk Lodge. Check it out

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

So happy you're posting updates as you make this move! Will be looking forward to the next one!!!
    Gina J

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

D,
    Safe travels…
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This will be interesting.

Would it be possible to have your trip shown on a Google Map, or some other 'map" every few days to see the progress and what roads you are taking, etc. That would be very interesting.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

I have to admit I am living a bit vicariously through AR on this adventure.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Day 2: Tok to Whitehorse YT. 387 miles

Almost 400 miles today. We decided to stay at one of the Westmarks. Okay...but will stick to the smaller mom & pops for the rest of the Canada portion. Decided to have a real meal tonight. My prime rib....not so exciting, Linda did have very good salmon though.

Stayed at Golden Bear in Tok. Restaurant next door. The best burgers, fries, and shakes that we have had in a couple months. And we do a lot of them.

The road between Tok and Whitehorse was better than I have ever seen it. I have talked in the past about the BIG frost heaves. Even gave them the name "whoop te doos" That stretch of road has been improved a lot. There are still a lot of small frost heaves....but you do not have to slow down to 20 to go over them now.

Tomorrow the plan is Muncho Lake. 442 miles or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I’ve found a lot of times on these travels a good steak is a pretty hit or miss thing. I honestly get the biggest kick out of actually getting good diner food, that burger shake kind of thing with a good piece of pie. The thing is after about 3 days of this I’m really wanting something else.

Good to know your SO got a good piece of fish.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-12-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the updates, keep them coming-safe travels. Dale

Spyder Garage

Day 3: Whitehorse YT to Muncho Lake BC. 442 miles.

I have not mentioned the weather yet. All three days have been bluebird skies and temps in the 50's. Today, a few more clouds and a couple of sprinkles.

Arrived in Muncho Lake at 4:30 PM. Staying at Northern Rockies Lodge. It has gas and an attached restaurant. Only $89 to fill my gas tank. It was about 3/4 empty. Gas is now high priced in Canada. Only two more tanks and we will be in the lower 48 (Montana).

The scenery today was varied and beautiful. The wildlife was out once we got into BC. We saw a couple herds of caribou, several herds of bison, and three black bears. All conveniently grazing alongside the road.

Tomorrow, the plan is Muncho Lake to Dawson Creek, the official beginning of the Alcan Highway. Then we will be on regular Canadian roads for our journey South to Montana.

I have now driven on the Alaska Hwy four times. To AK (2001), Back to Whitehorse and Skagway (2010) and now the final journey out (2019). So far, we have not run into any really bad construction or bad areas. I am now going to say that all the stuff we have heard about the Alcan Hwy is more puffing than truth. Most of the road we drove today was 100 KM/h (62 mph). Had to slow down a few times for curves and the occasional frost heave, but nothing like I experienced in 2001 and 2010.

Linda says hello to all her friends.

Will talk more tomorrow.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

AR glad to hear the trip is going well.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Assuming that you're sticking to your timetable: when do you figure on getting to your new home?

Spyder Garage

Safe journey AR (aka AK) -- in your virtual passenger seat with you. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Assuming that you're sticking to your timetable: when do you figure on getting to your new home?
    Arrival in AR on Sunday the 19th. The closing on the new home, the week of the 20th.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Day 4: Muncho Lake to Dawson Creek (the end/beginning of the Alaska Hwy). 430 miles

An interesting ride today. Crossed the Canadian Rockies, roads were narrow and curvy. Speeds 30 to 50 mph for the first hundred miles or so. As we came off the plateau, the roads got much better and we were up to 62 mph (100 km/h). Saw a caribou and some bears today. Not as much wildlife as yesterday.

Weather started out blue sky, but turned cloudy. No rain to speak of though.

Last night we stayed at the Northern Rockies Resort on Muncho Lake. Very beautiful. Their dining room served a limited menu (we are a couple weeks early for the beginning of the tourist season. Took a chance and ordered the schnitzel and spaetzle. Have eaten at German restaurants all over the US...and this was the best we have had. Whooda thought?

Tomorrow, the plan is to make it as far as Red Deer AB. Then...the next day on to Montana.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-14-2019 at 07:59 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Day 4: Muncho Lake to Dawson Creek (the end/beginning of the Alaska Hwy). 430 miles

An interesting ride today. Crossed the Canadian Rockies, roads were narrow and curvy. Speeds 30 to 50 mph for the first hundred miles or so. As we came off the plateau, the roads got much better and we were up to 62 mph (100 km/h). Saw a caribou and some bears today. Not as much wildlife as yesterday.

Weather started out blue sky, but turned cloudy. No rain to speak of though.

Last night we stayed at the Northern Rockies Resort on Muncho Lake. Very beautiful. Their dining room served a limited menu (we are a couple weeks early for the beginning of the tourist season. Took a chance and ordered the schnitzel and spaetzle. Have eaten at German restaurants all over the US...and this was the best we have had. Whooda thought?

Tomorrow, the plan is to make it as far as Red Deer AB. Then...the next day on to Montana.
    ........ It's difficult to even find those two items on a menu ..... to find ones that are very good is a miracle ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    ...Then...the next day on to Montana.
    That sounds like a song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0

Spyder Garage

Day 5: Dawson Creek BC to Red Deer AB. 460 miles.

Day started rainy, but not real hard. More like light drizzle. We ended at 7:00 PM (Mountain STD Time).

We saw no wildlife today. Drove mostly through level farm country. They were very large farms. The road was mostly two lane divided hwy with speeds at 110 KM/h. (68 mph).

Had a bit of an adventure today. Out in the middle of nowhere, we had a tire malfunction. Ran over a bolt and it punctured the tire. Thank you FOBO warning lights. Got to put the donut tire on in the rain of course. A good Samaritan stopped half way through and finished the job for me. Only sixty miles away was a full service tire store. In Whitecourt AB. They had the right tires in stock and took us in the repair bay right away. That was the first tire store in almost 2,000 miles of our trip. The Good Lord was watching out for us again.

Soon going out to eat something. Staying at the Ramada in Red Deer tonight.

More good news...the new owners are officially closing the deal on Friday....meaning we can close on the new home in AR next week. A big load off my shoulders. Again...thank you Lord.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I was thinking Alberta Bound myself, except going the other way...

https://youtu.be/Hx4EkjJw5xk
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Jeez Bob, didja really hafta!!

Altho I do hafta admit that I now remember exactly why I really didn't like that one the first time round!

But that was good news all round for you AR; isn't it sometimes just so.... affirming (?!) when everything comes together like that!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Bully!! Trip is going fantastic, the real estate is falling in order! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more of you, now that you are in the lower 48. Welcome back! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system