Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

If your running stock tires your going to want to watch your tread wear close and find the right pressure for you, meaning weights you hall, two up riding, ect and find one the keeps your tread wear even across the tire as you can. To much air you'll wear the centers out not enough sides! That's where IMO lots of people that say you should use this or that, are falling short. Tires, oils, are always a good thing to start a hornets nest going and the most hardest areas to make a disstion because everyone has there own twist to the problem!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If your running stock tires your going to want to watch your tread wear close and find the right pressure for you, meaning weights you hall, two up riding, ect and find one the keeps your tread wear even across the tire as you can. To much air you'll wear the centers out not enough sides! That's where IMO lots of people that say you should use this or that, are falling short. Tires, oils, are always a good thing to start a hornets nest going and the most hardest areas to make a disstion because everyone has there own twist to the problem!
    Thanks Micky, you make a good point however, i am looking for ride quality and more importantly Handling, nice to have good wear but if they wear i buy new ones!

Spyder Garage

Lots of good advice here. One thing to remember if you are coming off of two wheels: With two wheels leaned into a corner, "G" forces are aligned with the vertical axis of the bike, pulling downward on your body. In most cases this is not even noticeable. on a three wheeler, any change in direction (from straight), no matter how slight, will exert lateral "G" forces in the horizontal plane, pulling your body side to side. To an inexperienced three wheel rider, this may feel like twitchiness. By relaxing and easing your grip, you will eliminate some of the minor side to side excursions that cause the twitchy sensations. Also be aware that Spyders have more wind loading surface area than most two wheelers, so they are more sensitive to cross winds. It took me a while to get used to these characteristics, but now I seldom notice or think about them.
    Just learn to relax and enjoy the ryde.

BTW, I still switch back and forth between two (Harley Road King) and three wheels, and the adjustment is automatic. I don't even think about it, except when I catch myself reaching for a clutch lever on the RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    Lots of good advice here. One thing to remember if you are coming off of two wheels: With two wheels leaned into a corner, "G" forces are aligned with the vertical axis of the bike, pulling downward on your body. In most cases this is not even noticeable. on a three wheeler, any change in direction (from straight), no matter how slight, will exert lateral "G" forces in the horizontal plane, pulling your body side to side. To an inexperienced three wheel rider, this may feel like twitchiness. By relaxing and easing your grip, you will eliminate some of the minor side to side excursions that cause the twitchy sensations. Also be aware that Spyders have more wind loading surface area than most two wheelers, so they are more sensitive to cross winds. It took me a while to get used to these characteristics, but now I seldom notice or think about them.
    Just learn to relax and enjoy the ryde.

BTW, I still switch back and forth between two (Harley Road King) and three wheels, and the adjustment is automatic. I don't even think about it, except when I catch myself reaching for a clutch lever on the RTL.
    Thanks for that, makes sense and what i noticed and managed to correct on my 400 km ride last Saturday. Relaxed myself in body and mind. Worked a lot better.

Spyder Garage

I use 22psi in the front tires and 28 psi in the rear tire on our 2011 RT with original Kenda tires. (We ride two up - almost to max weight limit of the Spyder) From reading other posts I think you may be holding the steering a little bit too hard. Relax and let the streering do it'is thing. They are very stable on the road but feel different than the 2 wheels. I ride both still and I see the difference in handling. It is a bit different but you will get the hang of it soon enough. Ride Safe.

Spyder Garage

I've read the entire thread and haven't seen the one change that made the biggest difference for me. The stock handlebars were too far forward for me at 5'5". This resulted in me having constant pressure on the bars, to support my upper body. When I switched to reduced reach bars, my grip relaxed and almost all of the twitchy behavior went away. The bars still aren't right (too close) and I have another set on the way. Too close is better than too far.

A technique I learned riding recumbent trikes is to think of running over obstacles with your feet. Works great for small things (stones, misc. car parts, etc), which can effectively be missed with the tires.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Lol I love your epic tomes Peter, keep em coming!
    Just make sure your phone/tablet/computer battery has a full charge!