Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    One thing I learned to do, while learning to relax, was to mimic playing a piano. Try riding along at a modest speed (40 mph). With your hands on the bars, open and extend your fingers so that they point ahead, and only your palms are resting on top of the bars with the grips lightly between the "V" created by your thumb and index finger. Steering can be done by easy pressure without closing your hands since you're not really going fast or in twisties. Now, as you ride along in the sunshine of a nice day, make believe you're playing a piano, with your fingers moving up and down. It's fun, it's relaxing, and it reduces stress. It will show you exactly just how light a touch on the bars you can ride with.
    An addition to bushrat's suggestion: Get a "Crampbuster" to use on the right hand throttle control handgrip. It does not interfere with your ability to grip the handgrip when you need to, and when you don't need to "grip the grip" you control the amount of throttle input using the palm off your hand instead of having to grip the throttle grip. Do a Google search for pics and videos if you aren't familiar with them. One of the best less than $10 you will spend on your motorcycle. Yes, the Spyder's have cruise controls. But you can't always use it. In those instances, the Crampbuster is golden. If you get one, go to a safe riding place (open parking lot, no traffic neighborhood, etc) for about 5 - 10 minutes to get used to using it. After that, you'll never regret buying it. You can spin it out of the way when you WANT to (IF you want to, but you normally won't want to unless you want to spin it around to readjust the paddle position, which is easy to do while riding). And you can still "grip the grip" when you need to even with the palm of your hand on the paddle controller. Watch the YouTube videos to see how it works. It WILL stop you from over-gripping the hand grips if that is what you are doing. Many riders put one on the LEFT handgrip also just because they are so "hand comfortable" when riding.

EDIT: They come in 2 different handlebar diameter sizes. The larger one (the 1 and 3/8" one) is for the Spyder handgrip. Plus I didn't have to put the included rubber "O-Ring" thing on my grip before putting the Crampbuster over it. The Crampbuster was tight enough without the rubber O-ring (was TOO tight with the O-ring). And...there are 2 different "paddle" widths of it too. A narrow one (1" wide by 3" long) and a wide one (2 and 1/4" wide by 3" long). I prefer the wider one, but other people may prefer the narrow one. *** Oh...one other thing. They come in black plastic or SILVER ("chrome") colors. Do NOT get the Silver colored one. It is the black plastic one with "coat of silver painty stuff" on it. Within a couple months at most, all the silver painty stuff will start flaking off and make your gloves really, really ugly. *** PS - There's a PINK one too if you don't like black or silver.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I Can only keep thanking you all and i will try all you suggest ASAP,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder purchase and to the spyder web. Great advise has been all ready been given. Give it some time, the more miles you ride the more you'll get used to your spyder. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Handling . . . . its flighty, sensitive
    Doesn't every first Spyder owner feel that way when coming off two wheels
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

That's right, as i have found out from this site its normal to feel that way, good news for me, i'll just keep working on it!

Got a long ride this Saturday, i am going to try out all that i have heard/learnt, if i survive it, i'll let you know how i went, if you don't hear from me well!

Spyder Garage

Hi.
    This is my second Spyder and both, the previous 2011 RT and the new F3, have the same problem
    after after having done about 5,000 km.

I notice that when you take a curve it leans too much towards the opposite side, loading the weight
    on the outside of the curve and leaving the interior very loose.
    Besides that happens also when leaving the curve with what the sensation is unpleasant and I feel
    not secure.

My wife must do too much force to compensate these swings and it she is not comfortable at all.

The bike moves excessively with wind and when leaving the slipstream of the trucks.

In the RT I got a spectacular improvement by changing the suspensions and changing the anti sway bar
    by one from Bajaron so I'm going to change the anti sway bar to the f3 and I'll see if I get positive results.

Of course, it is a pity to buy a new vehicle that you already have to change parts to work fine but the
    current feeling is absollutelly unpleasant.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    I notice that when you take a curve it leans too much towards the opposite side, loading the weight
    on the outside of the curve and leaving the interior very loose.
    That's why you shift your weight and lean into the curve.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up On 2 wheels

When I'm hot footin' it in the twisties ( very common here )--- I'm off the seat, pushing down with the outside foot and leaning low to the inside------ much like hanging off on two wheels. You still must have a lightish grip on the handle bars. It just takes a few hundred miles to " let the good times roll" ( Ya used to have a Kawasiki ZX-11)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    That's why you shift your weight and lean into the curve.
    Yes, I know you want to say but after 30K kilometers with my old RT I can appreciate the differece.
    And the difference is in negative for F3 in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    When I'm hot footin' it in the twisties ( very common here )--- I'm off the seat, pushing down with the outside foot and leaning low to the inside------ much like hanging off on two wheels. You still must have a lightish grip on the handle bars. It just takes a few hundred miles to " let the good times roll" ( Ya used to have a Kawasiki ZX-11)
    I have also done many kilometers on a motorcycle. My last a VTX1300 and in Spain there are many curves and secondary roads. More than motorways. I know it's different but the feeling of insecurity of the F3 did not give me the RT "tuned"

I'd like it was different in positive cause I changed to F3 to achieve it, but .....

Spyder Garage

They are a different animal and the spyder koolaid just isn't the silver bullet for everybody. The twitchy part never goes away, you just get used to it. With three wheels in three different tracks you are always going to have some of it. Suspension mods can help but by design you are always going to have the extra input of the third wheel doing it's thing. If I only rode in town I would love the spyder but out on the road for me it falls short of expectations. Ymmv

Spyder Garage

Maybe if i ride very slowly! All my problems would be over.

Spyder Garage

Maybe if i ride very slowly! All my problems would be over.

I thing, for language problems, I am not able to comunicate the situation.

I've drived two RT's and one F3 for a reasonable quantity of kilometers and being the same driver
    I've got different feelings between the RT's and F3.

Of couse, if I stay at home with the f3 on the car park, the rare movements will dissapear.
    I would only have a huge and beautiful paperweight but I would prefer to use it for what it was built
    for.

Tell me nitpicker.

Spyder Garage

I feel out of place leaning like a kid on a crotch rocket but that's the only way to compensate for the centrifugal force that tries to throw you off the bike.Lean and squeeze your knees on the tank area.These bikes require a lot more concentration to ride smoothly.Its like your actually driving the bike not riding it.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    When I'm hot footin' it in the twisties I'm off the seat, pushing down with the outside foot and leaning low to the inside------ much like hanging off on two wheels.
    Geeezzz . . . and I thought I was the only one who did that . . .
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

One thing I try to do when on a road with tire ruts and a center hump is to ride a bit off-center so that the rear tire isn't constantly falling off the center hump to one side or the other. I try to keep one of my feet over the hump. That puts one front tire and the rear tire on opposite sides of one rut and the rear tire and the other front tire on opposite sides of the hump. I hope that makes sense.

Also, think of the Spyder as dancing underneath you, let your lower body dance with it while keeping your chest and head more stationary. I think you feel more stable if you head isn't moving as much. I guess this is part of "relax", but a bit different than the usual grip and shoulder relaxation.
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, that makes sense about the positioning on the road, i was told to centre the bike in the lane but thanks, i'll try that!

Spyder Garage

I agree it takes a bit more to become comfortable with the variety of road conditions, crown, ruts etc than with the gyroscopic motion of two wheels tracking a single path. For me it helped to have many miles on gravel roads with a variety of conveyances from bicycles, to wore out tractors to cars and trucks and to be used to tires "searching" for a path and trying to ride on the high spots to avoid washboard and deep gravel..

Now after a few miles on the Spyders, I don't panic so much if the bike seems to wander a bit. I still tend to find the path where the Spyder tracks best (usually some of the higher spots) and as SpyderChris says, let the Spyder dance under you. Less trying to "steer" the thing, and more balance and enjoying the ride. Everyone is different- hope you find your "happy place".
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

You might want to put foam grips on they help your grip they made a difference for me
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    You might want to put foam grips on they help your grip they made a difference for me
    I've heard about you Texans! Worked alongside one once, good man. Thanks for the advice mate, just ordered some from the web, interestingly called 'pussy grips' over here. Makes you think!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Geeezzz . . . and I thought I was the only one who did that . . .
    I think it's easier on the RT as the pegs are under your hips. Even easier with the RTS floorboards.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Went for a 400 km ride yesterday, i took note and implemented most of the advice received from you guys particularly relaxing, lane positioning and so on.

The one i found particularly helpful was the suggestion that the bike is 'dancing' beneath you, that really helped and i just let her do her thing and just rode.

By half way i had a different bike, she hadn't changed, i had! and then had a whole different experience, great just great!! Got home with a smile on my face and the realisation that this was going to be a whole new experience and finally understood what a Syder is about.

So once again all, Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I also came from 40+ years on 2 wheels to an F3L. At first the feeling felt really quick and light to me. Especially 2 up. Higher tire pressures, a BajaRon Sway Bar and an alignment helped significantly. Another 3k miles and I now feel good on it. In fact I love it! Give it a little time and replace your Sway Bar.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

Cheers, with regards to the sway bar, dealer tells me no issues with the 18 onwards as new and different bar installed by BRP.

By the way, what tire presurs are you running now, i have 30 rear and 18 front on the Kends.

Spyder Garage

........ By the way, what tire presurs are you running now, i have 30 rear and 18 front on the Kends.
    Just be a little wary of varying the Kenda tire pressures too far from their recommended pressures. They really are a lightly constructed tire, and while going a little up or down is usually OK, going much beyond about +/- 2psi means you are inviting all sorts of uncomfortable &/or potentially dangerous issues!

But it's good to hear that you are enjoying your Spyder already! They are a fantastic machines once you get over the niggles & idiosyncracies that frequently beset new ryders! Now all you hafta do is get out there & start racking up the miles!!

Oh, and now you're properly up & running, check out the Spyder Muster website - www.spydermuster.com.au - many of the Aussie Spyder Ryder community will be heading West to attend that gathering of Spyders in late March next year - WA in 2020! From up your way it should be a fantistic road trip, but if you don't want to cross the Nullabor on your Spyder, we are exploring a variety of (not massively expensive) ways to get people & their Rydes over there, just keep an eye on the website!

Looking forward to catching you out there one day!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just be a little wary of varying the Kenda tire pressures too far from their recommended pressures. They really are a lightly constructed tire, and while going a little up or down is usually OK, going much beyond about +/- 2psi means you are inviting all sorts of uncomfortable &/or potentially dangerous issues!

But it's good to hear that you are enjoying your Spyder already! They are a fantastic machines once you get over the niggles & idiosyncracies that frequently beset new ryders! Now all you hafta do is get out there & start racking up the miles!!

Oh, and now you're properly up & running, check out the Spyder Muster website - www.spydermuster.com.au - many of the Aussie Spyder Ryder community will be heading West to attend that gathering of Spyders in late March next year - WA in 2020! From up your way it should be a fantistic road trip, but if you don't want to cross the Nullabor on your Spyder, we are exploring a variety of (not massively expensive) ways to get people & their Rydes over there, just keep an eye on the website!

Looking forward to catching you out there one day!
    Thanks Peter, always a pl;esure to read your posts.

Problem with the tire pressure is the dealer telling me 30 rear and 22 front as we've discussed on another [Aus] site and i read on this site that the owners manual for the new 19's says 30 rear 18 front, i don't want to start another major conversation on this but it is confusing. I will drop to 15/ 28 though, give it a try..

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the muster in WA, i'm from there originally and have a lot of family still there and so will probably go. Maybe we should invite some of our North American friends to come along.

Cheers Mate