Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How do you reply when asked about the Spyder?

People often ask me how do I like the Spyder and how does it compare to a 2 wheeler.
    After telling them how much I like the Spyder, I usually tell them the Spyder is 95% (if not more) as fun as a 2-wheel, but 110% (if not more) as safe and comfortable as a 2-wheeler.
    What do you guys say?
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I tell them that spyder IS NOT a motorcycle, but I find it WAY more fun. And the RT is like riding a Cadillac.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

When I had the RT , I told folks that I thought I was to the point I needed to give up two wheels. I was wrong. The spyder is fine for what it is but for me two wheels is still where it's at. Maybe I'm not old enough yet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    When I had the RT , I told folks that I thought I was to the point I needed to give up two wheels. I was wrong. The spyder is fine for what it is but for me two wheels is still where it's at. Maybe I'm not old enough yet
    I would probably say the same thing if I had an RT. No offense to the RT owners, but if that was the only option, I wouldn't own a Spyder. They're just not for me
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Different models for different tastes. Nothing wrong with that. I started with GS, then RS, then RT's. I am a firm RT person. I hope they do not do away with it.

I also have my 900 Vulcan LT. I have more fun on it...but long trips it's the RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First, they exclaim, "I didn't know Alfa Romeo made these!" I tell them I'm an Alfisti and covered the BRP badges with the Alfa logo a friend who is in that biz made for me.
    Then I tell them, after 67 years on two wheels, Father Time said I can now GRADUATE to three. They understand perfectly.
    I know someone will ask for a photo of the Alfa logo......
    DSCN2685.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

First I tell them that I don't trust my knees and hips anymore to hold up over a thousand (bike, me, and old lady) pounds. Then I tell them that a Spyder is a great alternative, but I do miss that lean when you are just "one with the bike."
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I tell them that spyder IS NOT a motorcycle, but I find it WAY more fun. And the RT is like riding a Cadillac.
    I assure people that it IS a motorcycle. In 2011, the Feds reclassified motorcycles to include 3-wheeled vehicles (which have a saddle for the rider and other distinctions from vehicles that you sit in and have a steering wheel). Actually, the problem we're having in MI, now that we've amended the helmet law and the state is trying to force full requirements again, is that the state is including accident/injury statistics for 3-wheelers like the Polaris Slingshot (NOT a motorcycle) with our motorcycle statistics to make the data look worse than it is (in fact, deaths of motorcyclists has decreased in all but one year of the 7 years we've been riding free).

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    I'm not old enough yet
    I'm not old yet either, only 50. And I really hate the way I sit on a F3, never been a cruiser style rider. the RT is the best of both worlds, it's a laid back touring bike, but it's a hell of a lot of fun in the corners too.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

"Thanks , here wanna know more?" & proceed with opening the frunk, while describing how stable the SPYDER is, "It enables amputees & paraplegics to be RYDERS." Few different models out to enjoy, visit a dealer try a test ride. Need more info? Visit here. Depending on if they are a current motorcyclists/bikers & I may meet again, I'll give them one of my cards.
    If not I try "Look twice for motorcycles"

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

The Spyder is a great RYDE for me. I enjoy the wind therapy. So enjoy your Spyder and Always RYDE SAFE.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have been on 2 wheels since I got a Rupp mini-bike in the late 60's. Current 2 wheeler is a '13 Triumph Bonneville. Been on 3 wheels since 1992 and our current ride is a 2018 RTL. Folks ask about the difference in riding a trike and a 2 wheeler I alway say they are like ice cream - one is mint chocolate chip, the other is German chocloate. Both equally good, but different. Some of the upsides of a trike are confidence in the wet, on sand or wet leaves/grass clippings, slow speed maneuvers are easier and no unpleasent falling over when you don't put your feet down to nane a few. The responsiveness , smoothness, comfort and ease of use make a Spyder easy and fun to ride. Plus in most places you wont see a copy of yourself coming down the raod, Spyders are getting more popular, but they are still a bit of a couriosity. Ride a touring bike, cruiser, sportbike or woods bike, 2 wheeler or trike, wheels in the back or in the front, the idea is to get out and ride. Same with riding a Spyder. It's not what you ride, it's that you ride.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

A motorcycle so great it does not require a kickstand

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I'm not old yet either, only 50. And I really hate the way I sit on a F3, never been a cruiser style rider. the RT is the best of both worlds, it's a laid back touring bike, but it's a hell of a lot of fun in the corners too.
    with your comments about the F3. I LOVE the looks and now actually prefer the trunkless version. I was all set to order a cherry colored one. Then, I did a test sit. Even with proper adjustments (UFit), I did not like the initial feel. It did go cruiser and felt a bit like the HD TriGlide I test sat on back in 2010 when the decision was RT or TriGlide. The RT won and I still feel the same way about the F3.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When people ask about my Spyder, I normally reply it is a toy for the weekend. I also tell them I have never ridden a 2 wheeled motorcycle in my life and don't intend to anytime soon.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree on that, the F3 did not fit me at all, and the wife less, so that's definitely a 'no go'. Not beating up on the F3, 'cause it fits some riders perfectly, I'd classify it as a sport touring machine, rather than cruiser, just an opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Agree on that, the F3 did not fit me at all, and the wife less, so that's definitely a 'no go'. Not beating up on the F3, 'cause it fits some riders perfectly, I'd classify it as a sport touring machine, rather than cruiser, just an opinion.
    I agree it is more of a sport touring machine. I have a F3S Special Series, in the future I may buy a RT has a retirement present to myself, long way to go yet I am 45.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

I was going to answer this, but decided it was time to get out and ryde instead... :-)

Which of course is the point, and my answer: it's just a lot of fun, period.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Different models for different tastes. Nothing wrong with that.
    I totally agree. Not knocking anything anyone rides. To each their own and you should ride what YOU want...not what others have to say about it.

That being said, when I brought my F3-T in for service, they gave me an RT for a loaner. It was a really nice, fully loaded one and I couldn't wait to ride it. I immediately felt like I was back in Air Force basic training, having to sit at attention. It just wasn't for me and I rode it straight home, parked it, and rode it straight back when mine was ready.
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    People often ask me how do I like the Spyder and how does it compare to a 2 wheeler.
    After telling them how much I like the Spyder, I usually tell them the Spyder is 95% (if not more) as fun as a 2-wheel, but 110% (if not more) as safe and comfortable as a 2-wheeler.
    What do you guys say?
    Been riding since I was being held by my mom, riding behind my dad on his HD. Then later as a toddler, I was able to sit on the tank and hold onto the windshield brackets. I got my first two wheeler when I was 7yo and have about 3/4 of a million miles riding them since. I have (3) two wheelers at home, including a GW, and this F3T is what I choose to ride now. And having a lot of fun doing it.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

When folks ask about the it seems they always ask " how fast will it go? "------------- I just point to the speedometer and get this reaction.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I noticed on my recent cross country trip that my Spyder got attention from both 2 wheeled riders and non-riders. A lot of non-riders approached me to ask about it. To those, I just said yes, it was a lot of fun and I felt safer on it than on 2 wheels. I heard a lot of "that's something I'd like to try" or "that's a motorcycle that looks safer."

To the other motorcyclists, I said, yes, I loved it and that it was the right choice for me to switch from 2 to 3 wheels a couple of years ago. And I always told them that the transition time was difficult, but that once I got through it, I loved the ride of the Spyder and had as much fun as I had ever had on 2 wheels. Far too many new Spyder riders give up too soon, because they expect to jump on and ride like they did on two wheels right away. (And, yes, I did say that it goes really fast.)
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tell them it doesn't compare - it's a completely different experience. Or, I'll ask them what they ride and how they ride and give them specifics based on that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I always tell cyclists that when you need to give up two wheels, the Spyder is the only way to go. A front wheel trike is a pretty chrome plated log truck where a Spyder is a sports car with handlebars!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    What do you guys say?
    I start out smiling as I tell them " We hate them, thats why we have bought 4 of them" then I fill them in about all the great thing about our rides.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant