Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone installed this homelink garage door remote?

I am looking for anyone that has any information on installing this homelink garage door opener

https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Range.../dp/B01KMBGX1G

I am looking to see if it will fit in the center blank hole on a 2015 RTL.
    I currently have a USB outlet mounted there but would really like to mount the homelink opener

Thank for the help
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Default Homelink Garager Door opener

I am looking for anyone that has any information on installing this homelink garage door opener

I currently have a USB outlet mounted there but would really like to mount the homelink opener

Thank for the help

Spyder Garage

I have a concern with vehicle mounted garage door openers - steal the vehicle and the garage door can be opened. Call me paranoid, but I put a phony address that's around the corner in my phone & GPS for HOME. If anyone gets hold of it, they get waylayed away from my home.
    To salve my paranoia when on the Spyder, I carry a mini remote (that was supplied by the door installer) in my jacket pocket. It serves the same purpose as a built in one - I don't have to get off the bike to close or open the garage door.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

If you have your smartphone mounted on your bike just get a wifi link for your garage door opener and open garage door with your phone
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

I made my own for all my previous bikes. I just took a standard keychain remote and took the case off, then desoldered the button and attached 2 wires, then pulled the battery and soldered two wires onto that, added a voltage regulator, and tied to the bike battery. Front there I mounted a waterproof momentary switch under my tank and tied the wires from the button to it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donhy View Post
    If you have your smartphone mounted on your bike just get a wifi link for your garage door opener and open garage door with your phone
    How would one, that is not a high technology guy, go about this? cueman

Spyder Garage

Ibified, Easy as screwing in a light bulb, or a RT left foglight... Just kidding, your idea sounds easy enough.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I'll try to find my writeup on it on the bike board I posted it on. If you can solder, you can do it. If you can't solder, you can send it to me along with the button you want to use and tell me how long you want your wire from the opener to the button to be and I'll solder it for you and send it back. Not a big deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    How would one, that is not a high technology guy, go about this? cueman
    You basically buy this hub for $79 and as long as you have wifi that reaches your garage the rest is easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-...-1-spons&psc=1

It's pretty neat, you can open/close garage door from anywhere in the world, you can also setup alerts so that if your wife leaves garage door open you get notified by email or app notification
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

I would think that the switch should fit the only question will be what power cable works best with the Spyder. With respect to someone stealing the Spyder then going to your house to rob it. I installed a keypad dead bolt on the door from the garage to the house. Whenever I am gone for awhile I lock this door. Then of course if they break down this door with the dead bolt they better know the alarm code because the door from the garage to the house is also on the central alarm.

I hope someone has an answer because I plan on installing the Homelink switch on my new to me 2014 ST Spyder when I pick it up in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post

Thank for the help

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank for the help
    I think it might be too deep to fit. It's a tight squeeze under the switch group. Did you cut out the center hole to mount the USB? The original hole is about 3/4" round.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

This will not fit do to how deep it is. You have about 2" to work with on your Spyder and this is just short of 3" deep.
    I installed a Modoor opener with touchpad and it was easy to find a convenient spot on our Spyder to stick that pad.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Its probably a very very low risk that someone would both steal your Spyder, then ride that same stolen Spyder to your home to rob you. How would they even know what one more button on the Spyder is used for? Just label it “Lojack” and they’ll never touch it.

Kidding aside, on my other bike I bought a spare remote and ordered an acc button from the manufacturer of my bike, then mounted both in the console next to an identical button. Cut and soldered into the wiring on the remote and everything was integrated.

I did it slightly different from the other poster in that I was too lazy to wire it to my battery. Still going strong on the duracell 2 years later, 2 screws to lift the console and change batteries.

Good luck whichever route you go.

Spyder Garage

Mo-Door has a motorcycle opener, and they offer a variety of switches including one that matches perfectly the existing Can Am switches. You can choose between 1 or 2 "way" switches, so 1 or 2 doors. Put on mine and it works like a charm.

http://www.mo-door.com/Can-Am_Spyder_Toggle_Switch.html
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I should have added, the switch with the mo-door is rectangular, the center of the Can Am panel is a smaller round hole. Yours has likely been trimmed already, given the USB port that is there, but if not you will need to trim the switch panel to the correct shape. Not hard to do.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here, NOTE: this is only my opinion, It would be a cold day in hell
    before I spend $159.95 for a garage door opener, you have one or two
    that came with your door opener, you can pop open the cover and with a test
    light find the place the push button it connected to, attach 2 wires to that area with
    a soldering iron and go to Auto Zone and get a small mini push button and hide it
    in an area that is easy to get to while you are riding and put the cover back on the
    garage opener that you have and hide it behind your dash or glove box or ??? run the
    two wires to the push button and its done cost about $2.00 and a little time. the battery
    usually 9volt in the remote opener will last about 1 year. You will find several videos
    on you Tube on doing this, it is easy and works great.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Thank for the help

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Dave here, NOTE: this is only my opinion, It would be a cold day in hell
    before I spend $159.95 for a garage door opener, you have one or two
    that came with your door opener, you can pop open the cover and with a test
    light find the place the push button it connected to, attach 2 wires to that area with
    a soldering iron and go to Auto Zone and get a small mini push button and hide it
    in an area that is easy to get to while you are riding and put the cover back on the
    garage opener that you have and hide it behind your dash or glove box or ??? run the
    two wires to the push button and its done cost about $2.00 and a little time. the battery
    usually 9volt in the remote opener will last about 1 year. You will find several videos
    on you Tube on doing this, it is easy and works great.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Not my opinion-----

I knew I had an extra garage door remote and a momentary switch, a soldering pencil, and some wire. Hardest part is fishing the wire but it's all done in two hours ( including lunch ) No more diging around in my pocket --- just push an inconspicious, tiny switch on the dash and like magic-----the garage door opens --- just like the cars.

Plenty of room under the headlight for the remote and easy to get when replacing the battery.

No cost currently--- well, I did put in a new 9v battery.

Every owner should do this simple mod--- I don't know why it took me so long. Now to do the same thing for my V-Max as I have another remote and switch.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

McClendons:

Where did you mount the transmitter and how long of a cable did you order for it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I knew I had an extra garage door remote and a momentary switch, a soldering pencil, and some wire. Hardest part is fishing the wire but it's all done in two hours ( including lunch ) No more diging around in my pocket --- just push an inconspicious, tiny switch on the dash and like magic-----the garage door opens --- just like the cars.

Plenty of room under the headlight for the remote and easy to get when replacing the battery.

No cost currently--- well, I did put in a new 9v battery.

Every owner should do this simple mod--- I don't know why it took me so long. Now to do the same thing for my V-Max as I have another remote and switch.

Well why didnt I do this years ago------ Just too easy 45 min. at the most. Again--- no cost.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Having an RT, I just velcro'd one of the normal small Garage door openers under the Safety Card above the dash, it's hardly visible unless you're looking for it.
    20180624_142251.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Having an RT, I just velcro'd one of the normal small Garage door openers under the Safety Card above the dash, it's hardly visible unless you're looking for it.
    20180624_142251.jpg
    I thought about velcro for a few moments---- just don't trust it to hold up over the bumps and pot holes in our fine and well maintained roads.

Spyder Garage

McClendons:

Where did you mount the transmitter and how long of a cable did you order for it?
    I put the transmitter off to the riders left, under the little triangular cover that shows when the Trunk is open. It is the side OPPOSITE where the BUDS cable is. There is a good bit of room under the cover, I also put a fuse block in the same location. Makes it very easy to get short cables up to the handlebar and switch panel areas.
    I did not order a special length cable, if you order the one with the CAN Am switch it was plenty long for that install. Also would be very easy to splice in additional wire of longer is needed.

Motorcycle Dave is exactly right with modifying one, very easy to do. That said, for my case I would have had to buy a remote transmitter and wanted the Can Am momentary switch. If I bought those it would have been in the ballpark of the mo-door. I'd had there mo-doors, and they have all been excellent with very good range. If I had a spare transmitter, I might have gone the custom approach but would have still wanted the Can Am Switch --- so likely about 1/3 the price
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I made my own for my 2015 RTL. Go to any used auto parts emporium, (junkyard), and get the Homelink module from a car that has one in the drivers sun visor. They usually have 3 buttons. It will have 2 wires, power and ground. Take it home and hook the power and ground to a 9V battery. Then program it to your garage door opener. (I used the middle button.) Then use a plastic tie-wrap to permanently hold that button down. The switches used in our bikes are made by Carling, and are the Carling Contura style. I used a model that has Off, On, Momentary, since I have another use for it also. If all you want is a door opener, get one that is a Momentary switch only. Mount the Homelink module out of sight somewhere. Connect the ground wire to ground, and the 12V+ wire to the momentary contact of your switch. Run a wire from the switch to your fusebox to the aux unused position. When you press the momentary switch, the 12V will go through the Homelink module. Since the button is already held down by the tie-wrap, your garage door will open!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    I put the transmitter off to the riders left, under the little triangular cover that shows when the Trunk is open. It is the side OPPOSITE where the BUDS cable is. There is a good bit of room under the cover, I also put a fuse block in the same location. Makes it very easy to get short cables up to the handlebar and switch panel areas.
    I did not order a special length cable, if you order the one with the CAN Am switch it was plenty long for that install. Also would be very easy to splice in additional wire of longer is needed.
    20190512_183531.jpg
    Was asked for more detail through message, I placed mine under the cover in the picture. Plenty of room.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey