Thread: Rftw 2019

Spyder Garage

Default Rftw 2019

Good day since I have not seen anything posted about this I thought I would bring it up. Next week May 15-24 2019 will be the 31st year for this event. It will be the first for me and I am curious to see if any other spyderlovers will be doing it also? I will join the group in the DFW area then on to DC via the southern route link here https://rftw.us/wp-content/uploads/2...-Itinerary.pdf
    I hope to see some other spyders join up. This is also the last year for rolling thunder https://www.rollingthunder1.com/
    As a veteran we must never forget those who gave it all for us to enjoy what we have.
    Greg
    2018 f3t , red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello Springcrawler. I hope you enjoy the event and the weather is good. Will you be attending all 3 days? I'm there all 3 days its about 75 miles from my place.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 05-10-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I'll be there. Staying in Falls Church, VA. I'm leaving to go home directly after the ride.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Hello Springcrawler. I hope you enjoy the event and the weather is good. Will you be attending all 3 days? I'm there all 3 days its about 75 miles from my place.
    Yes sir will be staying in Springfield comfort inn will leave for home on Monday hope it doesn't.. rain we have had our share here all week
    2018 f3t , red

Spyder Garage

FRIDAY, MAY 24th
    5 PM - Washington National Cathedral - 'Blessing of the Bikes'
    9 PM - Candle Light Vigil at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

SATURDAY MAY, 25th
    9 AM- 9 PM Thunder Alley The official vendor site for Rolling Thunder XXXII is on 22nd Street and Constitution Avenue Northwest. Official Rolling Thunder patches, pins and T-shirts are on sale in Thunder Alley, along with food and biker related goods.

SUNDAY MAY, 26th
    6 AM - Reveille - Vietnam Veterans Memorial - Wake-up call for all riders taking part in the Rolling Thunder XXXII First Amendment Demonstration Run. Bikers rally in the North and South Pentagon parking lots at 7 AM for a noon departure.
    9 AM - Thunder Alley Opens: Location: 22nd and Constitution Ave NW
    12 PM - Rolling Thunder XXXII First Amendment Demonstration Run
    First Amendment Demonstration Run - Bikes leave
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I take it that RTFW will continue but with a different activity at the end?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The Pentagon has made it cost prohibitive to continue their event. Apparently we were causing them to much embarrassment by bringing attention to the POW/MIA issue, so they hit us in the pocket book.

The RFTW is a separate event. Rolling Thunder has alternative plans for future rides .
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    The Pentagon has made it cost prohibitive to continue their event. Apparently we were causing them to much embarrassment by bringing attention to the POW/MIA issue, so they hit us in the pocket book.

The RFTW is a separate event. Rolling Thunder has alternative plans for future rides .
    My impression from looking at the two sites was that the culmination of the RFTW was primarily the Rolling Thunder ride in DC, but I guess not.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Run for the wall is from 5/15/2019 to 5/24/2019 (bikers start there ride from all over the country to head to DC for the Wall https://rftw.us/) the event ends when as Rolling Thunder events start all in DC. So two events that can tie in if you wish to do that.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Run for the wall is from 5/15/2019 to 5/24/2019 (bikers start there ride from all over the country to head to DC for the Wall https://rftw.us/) the event ends when as Rolling Thunder events start all in DC. So two events that can tie in if you wish to do that.
    Thank you. That clears it up. Apparently I'm not the only one who has been confused! This news release is on the RFTW site: https://rftw.us/wp-content/uploads/2...-14-2018-1.pdf. I need to seriously think about joining the ride before it's too late for me. I lost two high school classmates in Viet Nam.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

RFTW and Rolling Thunder is true tribute to meaning of Memorial Day IMO. This is a time when we put all that other stuff aside, and stand / ride as one.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 05-12-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Just lost my uncle, who was an F-4D Phantom pilot in VietNam.
    I will be in attendance at Rolling Thunder...riding down with some folks from NJ on Saturday, staying with friends in town, "Rolling" on Sunday, homeward on Monday.
    Thanks to all who have served and do serve!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I hope to meet some of you there.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Todays Bike Blessing at the Washington National Cathedral for Rolling Thunder.

Bike Blessing01.jpgbike blessing02.jpgbike blessing03.jpg
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Spent the Day in DC yesterday and got to Roll (Rolling Thunder) at about 1:15. it was good to see all the people lined up watching with respect and support as we rode by in honor of those who gave all. Lets not forget those that are still not accounted for!
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

The idea of Rolling Thunder is a protest against the government for "leaving behind" service men...aka POW and MIA's. The event loses money which could be put to better use says the original organizer. The event will have a more profound effect as it moves to a local event across the country starting next year.. It all started during the Viet Nam era. The term Rolling Thunder was taken from a Viet Nam initiative. Salute all who gave their life to protect us.