Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Used 2014 RT-S Opinions?

Hello Everyone!

I've passed MSF and the paperwork is into Texas for my endorsement. I am looking at Spyders and saw this one. Its a 2014 with 27k miles. I'd prefer a manual, but those are hard to find and this one looks like a decent deal due to the miles ($11k).

Everything works and no check engine lights, leaks.

Could I get some expert advice? What would you folks do? Yes, I can stretch the budget higher, but of course I'm new to this hobby and don't even know if I'm going to like it once I get some miles under my belt. All of the motorcycle forums say buy used for new folks, but that's because you're likely to drop the bike. Any thoughts here?

Thanks everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the same Spyder … bought it new …. mine now has 42,000 + mi. ….. almost problem free, taken care of under warranty ….. didn't get the additional BEST warranty, it's been that reliable …. This is going to be my LAST Mtc. ….. That price is very good if the bike is issue free …. My concerns from the pics are - under the nose those are a LOT of scratches - WHY - none look deep enough to have serious damage, …. the Drive Belt is slightly over the edge of the sprocket - it should be almost touching the inside Flange ….. a Dealer ( using BUDS ) can tell you everything that has occurred to that Spyder ….and I mean everything. …. It would be worth paying for IMHO …. was the owner a member of Spyderlovers, if so you can see Everything they ever posted good or BAD ….. I have seen much older RT's for lots more money here ….. good luck , Mike ………..... PS - I see you asked ( earlier ) about the 998 V-twin spyders ….. BRP stopped using that engine a few years ago - WHY ???? …...….. the 1330 is light years above the V-twins ……...

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I appreciate those heads up. I'd be all in on this RT outside of what looks like neglectful riding of the machine. Why soo many scratches? After the first one didn't the person learn? That is what worries me the most and what will probably cause me to walk away. I can't see how someone would cause that many scratches without being neglectful in other ways.
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks like a nice bike that need a little clean up. Mothers back to black would do wonders on that bike. As far as the under side it looks fine, you will get scratches on the low side there are things you can add to help with that. If it checks out mechanically then its a good deal. IMO The semi , push button shifting is good you will love it, you can shift up and down with it. If you don't get this just keep looking but this looks like a good one and there is nothing wrong with the older 998 they run good. the MPG on the 998 is about 30 and the newer 1330 is about 40 both run good and hold up. Good luck shopping.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 05-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Excellent. Good to hear! Its being checked out now before its allowed to be sold. I have it on hold right now awaiting test results.
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

scratched under the nose? pff. Mt 2014 was super reliable with only the dreaded DESS issue.
    You can still catch a dip or driveway that is too steep. That is what the bump skid was designed for.
    I had a couple scrapes under the nose of mine, and it didn't affect the trade in value at all.
    It really does sound like a good deal. Make sure the oil and coolant and brake fluid are reasonably clean
    and of course as others have suggested get a BUDS readout from the nearest dealer. Good luck

just looked at the pics of scrapes. that is repeated parking over a curb stone or something they did every day.
    stupid. especially considering what it probably cost the original owner new.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I have the same year, and color spyder. I bought mine brand new in July 2014.
    I have the D.E.S.S. module replaced twice,& the switch replaced once, which was under the manufactures warranty.

I have 24,000+ miles on mine. Good luck!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I also have the same year, model and color Spyder. IMO, it looks like it's been ridden kind of hard and less than well cared for. From the pic of the front wheel/suspension it looks like it's been ridden somewhere where salt is used on the roads and not attended to post riding. Given the mileage what do you know about the brakes and possible pad replacement. What about maintenance records? Its 28K service, a major one, is coming up in a thousand miles. Are you in a position to have a dealer check it out. As others have said the 2014 is a quantum leap over the V-twins; mine has 53K+ trouble-free miles with the exception of a parking brake motor replaced under warranty at 9K. Yes, buying used is a good idea just getting into the game and you must allow yourself a good number of learning miles to get comfortable with a Spyder. There's a lot more I'd want to know about that particular bike if I were going to sink my shekels into it. I have no idea how the asking price relates to KBB and such.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The scratches under the nose wouldn't concern me a bit, wouldn't even think twice about it. You may want the SM-6 now but once you start riding around on an SE-6, you'll be glad you went with the semiautomatic.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

you can have a dealer check the VIN. That will give you the service history.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    you can have a dealer check the VIN. That will give you the service history.
    I plan to get that done tomorrow. At least then I'll know what kind of dealer service it may have had.

I'm not afraid of doing the 28k service on my own. Videos online seem to show it's manageable, but the condition of the front suspension leads me to believe this time was commuted with.

I did run a regular Vin check on the machine and it's a one owner machine titled in Missouri in July of 2015. No other record were found.

I'll run by my local dealer tomorrow to see if they will give me the VIN report before I actually own a machine. At 11k, expecting to do tires, fluids, 28k service, I do wonder if I'm just better off sounding more money for a less used machine.
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DimSum07 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I've passed MSF and the paperwork is into Texas for my endorsement. I am looking at Spyders and saw this one. Its a 2014 with 27k miles. I'd prefer a manual, but those are hard to find and this one looks like a decent deal due to the miles ($11k).

Everything works and no check engine lights, leaks.

Could I get some expert advice? What would you folks do? Yes, I can stretch the budget higher, but of course I'm new to this hobby and don't even know if I'm going to like it once I get some miles under my belt. All of the motorcycle forums say buy used for new folks, but that's because you're likely to drop the bike. Any thoughts here?

Thanks everyone!
    I would already have bought it at that price if it was me

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I plan to get that done tomorrow. At least then I'll know what kind of dealer service it may have had.

I'm not afraid of doing the 28k service on my own. Videos online seem to show it's manageable, but the condition of the front suspension leads me to believe this time was commuted with.

I did run a regular Vin check on the machine and it's a one owner machine titled in Missouri in July of 2015. No other record were found.

I'll run by my local dealer tomorrow to see if they will give me the VIN report before I actually own a machine. At 11k, expecting to do tires, fluids, 28k service, I do wonder if I'm just better off sounding more money for a less used machine.
    Regarding the life ( mileage wise ) of the 1330 engine …. I would be surprised if I didn't get 250,000 mi. before needing an engine over-haul …. Of you need to do the proper maintenance to get this kind of mileage ….. just sayin ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

When I was looking at used RT's here in Arizona, the only ones I saw in that price range were 2010s - 2013s. If every thing checks out, I think that is a great price for an RT with a 1330 engine. As mentioned above, there could be legitimate reasons for cosmetic damage to the bottom of the nose.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HAve the brake padschecked . The mileage would indicate they need to be changed soon.

Man that underside is really banged up.

I have some but no where near that much.

Hows the rear tire look?? Cant see it in the picks..

If it checks out 11K not to bad.

Vin check and run the buds to check any stored codes would help your decision.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I say go for it but plan on new tires, redo the brakes, and the 28k mile service. After all that you'll have a bike as good as new other than cosmetics. Do all this yourself so can be sure to install better, less expensive, aftermarket parts rather than dealer full priced parts. And most dealers won't install car tires which is what almost all of us put on for replacements. With 27k miles the DESS and parking brake motor have either been replaced, or they are not going to be a problem. I have 32k miles on mine and have never had a DESS problem, but did have to have the parking brake motor replaced.

The scratches under the front is why many, if not most, of us install Spyderpops skid plate for extra protection. I think you're right about having been ridden on salted roads but it doesn't look to me like any of the rust and corrosion is serious.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    HAve the brake padschecked . The mileage would indicate they need to be changed soon.

Man that underside is really banged up.

I have some but no where near that much.

Hows the rear tire look?? Cant see it in the picks..

If it checks out 11K not to bad.

Vin check and run the buds to check any stored codes would help your decision.
    BRAKE PADS @ 27,000 miles should be looked at very, very soon ….. Mine needed changing at 30,000 for the rear and 42,000 for the front and I ride HARD …. Mike ……………… You can visually check the pads for wear without actually removing them …. I'm sure they are the original OEMS , and they have lines on them that indicate maximum wear allowed …. if the lines are almost gone it's very close to needing them changed . …… Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 rt-s se with 18,00 miles and I live on 4 miles of mud and gravel road to get to black top and if l did'nt have a bump skid my under side it would look way worse but outside of that I take the best care of her if the dealer report comes back good I would jump on it good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    BRAKE PADS @ 11,000 miles should be fine ….. Mine needed changing at 30,000 for the rear and 42,000 for the front and I ride HARD …. Mike ……………… You can visually check the pads for wear without actually removing them …. I'm sure they are the original OEMS , and they have lines on them that indicate maximum wear allowed …. if the lines are almost gone it's very close to needing them changed . …… Mike
    It has 27,000 mi Mike......

$11,000 for that Spyder is a good deal.
    I say buy it, do the maintenance you're already prepared to do & Ryde it!!!
    If at the end of the day it's not for you I can't see you not being able to get back $$$ what you put into it!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice. I was expecting the 28k service, tires and brakes. I need to price those out.

There is another 2014 local to me with 3k miles and asking $16k. At the end of the day, I don't think I can negotiate the 2-3 off the lower mileage one because they will think it's brand new.

I look at it and see 5 year old tires and fluids that all need changing. If I'm going through all of that, I may as well start with the $11k model. Like many have said here, I should be able to get most of my investment back if I decide I don't like the machine or want to trade up.

I'm in a holding pattern. The bike is going through inspections at RumbleOn. I have a refundable deposit on it while it goes through.
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    BRAKE PADS @ 11,000 miles should be fine ….. Mine needed changing at 30,000 for the rear and 42,000 for the front and I ride HARD …. Mike ……………… You can visually check the pads for wear without actually removing them …. I'm sure they are the original OEMS , and they have lines on them that indicate maximum wear allowed …. if the lines are almost gone it's very close to needing them changed . …… Mike
    I thought it was more like 27K miles on the Spyder??

Spyder Garage

It is. 26.7k to be exact, but essentially 27k miles.
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice. I was expecting the 28k service, tires and brakes. I need to price those out.

There is another 2014 local to me with 3k miles and asking $16k. At the end of the day, I don't think I can negotiate the 2-3 off the lower mileage one because they will think it's brand new.

I look at it and see 5 year old tires and fluids that all need changing. If I'm going through all of that, I may as well start with the $11k model. Like many have said here, I should be able to get most of my investment back if I decide I don't like the machine or want to trade up.

I'm in a holding pattern. The bike is going through inspections at RumbleOn. I have a refundable deposit on it while it goes through.
    About NEW tires …. Currently the best Spyder tires made are the " Vredestein Quatrac 5 " they have them for front and rear ….. There are now quite a few folks here who are using them and the consensus is … " they are fantastic " use these PSI's..... F = 15 psi … R + 18 psi , these air pressures have been well tested and cause that tire to perform at it's best ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks inside the front for lower damage. I thought I seen the skid plate had a hole in it from one of your pictures

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am looking at Spyders and saw this one. Its a 2014 with 27k miles. I'd prefer a manual, but those are hard to find and this one looks like a decent deal due to the miles ($11k).
    Where are you looking to buy this, from the auction place? Do they still have it? Their auction was yesterday so are you sure someone didn't already buy it? Or are you talking with whoever did buy it from NPA?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)