Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious. Your profile shows you being from Annandale, VA. Why is your MSF endorsement paperwork going to Texas?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I'm in the military and my license is a Texas license. Its all part of making sure my residency stays Texas while I move around with the Air Force.

This is one case where the Texas license is painful. Normally, you'd go to the DMV and immediately have your temporary until the new license comes in the mail. No such thing when you mail all of your paperwork in.
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Where are you looking to buy this, from the auction place? Do they still have it? Their auction was yesterday so are you sure someone didn't already buy it? Or are you talking with whoever did buy it from NPA?
    I've had it a hold on with with RumbleOn since Wednesday. It has to go through their inspection / reconditioning department so you won't find any information or pictures online. I called and those photos were given to me so I could see what the bike looked at while I waited for the condition reports as it goes though to make sure no check engine lights or any other mechanical issues that would cause me to have to send the bike back.

Bike is through RumbleOn. Never used them before and not sure I will with this bike either. I want to, but until I get all of the information back from them, I keep looking for other options while I wait. It seems like a good deal being listed for 11.6k and then $500 off for military.

I appreciate all of the advice given. There's no real reason for me to be pinching pennies here, I know what I get get a white 2018 RT SM6 for at the dealer by my house (19k OTD...including taxes, fees, etc). Other than the MSF, I've never driven anything like this on freeways or in traffic. I'm a life long ATV rider, but living in DC has made that impossible. I thought the Spyder would be the perfect vehicle to add some fun back into my day without committing too much time away from home (have a 19 month old toddler).
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DimSum07 View Post
    Other than the MSF, I've never driven anything like this on freeways or in traffic. I'm a life long ATV rider, but living in DC has made that impossible. I thought the Spyder would be the perfect vehicle to add some fun back into my day without committing too much time away from home (have a 19 month old toddler).
    Thanks for the explanation. Have you ever ridden an electric shift ATV? I have a Honda Foreman with it. It's just plain easier to shift with a button or paddle, so don't sell it short. Very rarely does anyone here go back from an SE to an SM even if all they experienced before was manual shifting. IMO, you cannot manually shift as quickly and smoothly as the SE system does, especially in hard acceleration. On the other hand, if you have quick reflexes and strong fingers, then go for the manual. But as you've noted, they're hard to find to buy and slow to sell later.

I had a Goldwing for several years, which of course was manual shift. After riding the Spyder I'd never go back to manual if can avoid it. One big thing, IMO, that the SE eliminates compared to manual, is having to slip the clutch on take off, especially in a situation like starting uphill or waiting for pedestrians to cross.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I've had it a hold on with with RumbleOn since Wednesday. It has to go through their inspection / reconditioning department so you won't find any information or pictures online.
    It could very well be then that some of our comments are moot since the reconditioning may take care of them.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Have you ever ridden an electric shift ATV? I have a Honda Foreman with it. It's just plain easier to shift with a button or paddle, so don't sell it short. Very rarely does anyone here go back from an SE to an SM even if all they experienced before was manual shifting. IMO, you cannot manually shift as quickly and smoothly as the SE system does, especially in hard acceleration. On the other hand, if you have quick reflexes and strong fingers, then go for the manual. But as you've noted, they're hard to find to buy and slow to sell later.

I had a Goldwing for several years, which of course was manual shift. After riding the Spyder I'd never go back to manual if can avoid it. One big thing, IMO, that the SE eliminates compared to manual, is having to slip the clutch on take off, especially in a situation like starting uphill or waiting for pedestrians to cross.
    ... on the shifting thing …. I have over 50 years on Mtc's with manual shifters my first Spyder an 08 GS had a manual …. then I tried one with a semi-auto …. I'll NEVER go back ….. and think why does Ferrari, Porsche, Audi & McLaren's ( all very high end cars ) have Paddle shifters on the steering wheel ???? ….. I think they are on to something …… I have Drag Raced my 2014 RT and the thrill of Full throttle power shifting is a thing to behold …… Mike

Spyder Garage

...but living in DC has made that impossible. I thought the Spyder would be the perfect vehicle to add some fun back into my day without committing too much time away from home (have a 19 month old toddler).
    I lived and worked in the DC area longer than I care to admit, had a manual Volvo sedan I loved but driving in the commuting traffic was a PITA. IMO, a Spyder SE would be the hands down better choice over the SM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Did you buy the 2014 yet???

I am thinking about selling my White 2016 RTS SE6. It has 2300 miles, first oil change done, RR belt tensioner added.

I'm the original owner, got it from Imotorsports. Never seem to use it.... Grandkids take up all my time lately!!

$16,000

Spyder Garage

I have not purchased yet. Bike is still going through inspections / reconditioning. I held the bike on the first day it was listed, so I expected it may take a week or so to go through the process before I know the details. I'm also tracking new models in the area that are the SM6 (2018). I can currently get a new 2018 for about 17K + taxes. Weighing a new model vs this used one. I have until reconditioning is done to make a decision, but this 2014 is a solid deal for the money.

16k + a trip to WI is pretty tough for me compared to a new machine...
    -Steve

2016 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Going about this the wrong way. It is not an 'investment.' It is a motorcycle to ride in the open air, free. If you want an investment, buy stocks.
    \