Spyder Garage

Default Electronic throttle lock

Has anyone had any experience with an electronic throttle lock that disengages when brake is pressed.

Spyder Garage

My RT-L has just that - only it's not called an Electronic Throttle Lock, on my RT-L it's called a Cruise Control.....

Still, it shouldn't be all that much of a hard thing to do for any 'fly-by-wire' bikes if you wanted to make one, but with our Spyders it's usually just a matter of putting a switch on the end of the wiring that's already there in the RH hand grip - and the easiest way of doing that is simply to replace the 'non-cruise fitted' hand piece with a 'cruise fitted' hand piece. Not sure what Cheapcycleparts sell them for, but it's gotta be cheaper than BRP!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Speaking of a throtle lock..........

This happened this morning on my way to town, a beautiful day to take the spyder out for spin. At about 60 mph I spooked a covey of quail right next to the road. I didn't see them until they took flight and started to turn away from me. In a split second, two of the little suckers took a left turn directly into my path of travel. The only thing I had time to do was release the throttle and duck just before one of them impacted my helmet. Luckily it was a very light impact. The entire incident took less than two seconds to happen and I probably traveled less than 50/60 feet. Thankfully I did not have the cruse control on and it was a very slight contact with the one quail. Yes, speaking of a throttle lock, if I'd had one (which I've had and used them on other bikes) and it was on and locked and the hit was more than a slight glancing contact, I just might not be typing this post right now. As I've mentioned here before my vote is a BIG NO on any types of throttle locks. They are dangerous at any speed. Think of all the times you've gotten off the throttle just in time to avoid an OH S#%T. Always be safe out there.

Spyder Garage

I'll try to actually answer your question instead of talk about cruise control on a Spyder which doesn't help you out at all. I think the short answer is no, no one has done this yet. There was an Audiovox electronic cruise control that many had adapted to non cruise motorcycles at one time. However, they were not designed for throttle by wire which is what the Ryker has. These guys at McCruise have been working on some things, see link below.

https://www.mccruise.com/blogs/news/...se-development

Spyder Garage

A mechanical "cruise control" with simple o-ring is PLENTY good enough!

I mean, the idea is not to have your throttle hand off the bar for hours on end, to the contrary, it is to have it off for a minute or two, to shake it down to totally eliminate cramping and numbness. The o-ring fits the bill with flying colors!

I fully believe in the K.I.S.S. Principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)