Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Park brake

Spyder Garage

Mine is doing this exact same thing with code U0128, corrects itself later. The switch is good because the bike doesn't beep when I try to take off, indicating it got the release signal. I suspect the parking brake motor. I'm trying something, applying the parking brake without putting a lot of pressure on the brake pedal. I wonder if pushing the brake firmly while applying the parking brake sets the pads too firmly for the low torque motor to release. We'll see.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Had mine back for for a little over a week now. Everything seems to be working great. I’ve put almost 900 miles on it already, ( had to make for lost time). Every time I hit the ebrake switch to unlock it now, I say a little prayer. 9

Spyder Garage

Hello everybody. I recently experienced the non releasing parking brake on my 2016 RTL. No codes just warning light flashing or just lit up. Luckily while in my garage. Did the cable disconnect thing at the rear disc brake. Almost contacted the dealer. Then I remembered reading about properly adjusting the parking brake cable and not making it too tight. Took of all the required Tupperware and exposed the actuator which was locked in the on position. Tried pulling the inner cable but it would not release. So I undid the bolt that holds the cable wheel with the large gear that meshes with the small gear on the actuator. Tried to move the small sprocket on the actuator by hand but it would not move. I turned the ignition on and pressed the parking brake switch and the actuator gear started to turn and I could stop it by pushing down on the switch at the bottom of the actuator. So no problem with the actuator or both switches. Put everything back together and re-attached the cable at the rear brake but left the adjustment as slack as is possible. The brake works fine you cannot move the bike when it is engaged. The actuator sounds like it is not working so hard and the lever is not pulled so far forward. This may not be a fix for every parking brake problem but I have to wonder how many actuators etc. have been replaced because the parking brake is adjusted too tight.

Spyder Garage

This electric brake is too unreliable having failed twice on me in 2 years of ownership. The first time was at home and it wouldn't release. I removed and cleaned the switch contacts to make it work for a while. The second time it failed in the released position on the road and I had to put a rock behind the wheel to prevent it from rolling away. Embarrassing to say the least.

I would like to ditch this electric brake BS because I can't afford to be stranded on the road and I can't afford to pay the gentlemen at Can AM to fix and or replace exorbitantly priced parts. I would like to get a manual activation system. Good enough for Dodge trucks good enough for a summer toy.

The RS and RSS models had a pedal on the left side to set the parking brake and I would like to know if this can be fitted to my RT. Anyone done it yet or is this the wrong forum to ask this question?
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Arachnerds

We are new to the world of Spyders, just having bought a sweet 2011 RTL a couple of weeks ago. Woohoo!!! I never seemed able to get the parking brake engaged or disengaged but my hubs could do it almost every time. After even mentioning it to the dealer, who came up with a few of the same ideas as some mentioned here plus cycling the motor a few times by hand which has worked on others, hubs and I finally figured out why he could do it and I couldn't. It was the way in which he was doing a quick press-and-release on the button vs. the way I was doing more of a press and hold (waiting for the light to stop flashing). Well, problem FIXED! Now I've had absolutely NO problem getting it on or off.