Spyder Garage

Default Question for the suspension gurus out there

Will upgrading my 600 front suspension improve the stability at highway speeds 55mph and up? I don't expect to go down the road like my HD TriGlide, but I would like to be able to relax the death grip I have now going down the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Will upgrading my 600 front suspension improve the stability at highway speeds 55mph and up? I don't expect to go down the road like my HD TriGlide, but I would like to be able to relax the death grip I have now going down the road.
    bcraig,
    I put a sway bar on mine which made a big difference and finally discovered that the "death grip makes things worse. Loosen up. Much cheaper than new suspenders.
    Luck,
    CENTAUR
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

It takes a little time to get used to it. After 4,000 miles I have no problems keeping up with a group on winding roads. If I was any more relaxed I would fall off. But it did takes a couple of weeks to get used to it vs 2 wheels. Find some low speed, low traffic roads and ride a lot. And have fun!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another question how's the tire psi set at? How's the alignment?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Another question how's the tire psi set at? How's the alignment?
    I've lowered the psi to 20 psi in the front (label for the 600 says 25 psi in the front). Regarding alignment, it seems to track straight and true at lower speeds.

Spyder Garage

The 'Death Grip' only makes things worse, regardless of any issues with suspension or steering (as mentioned) and will fatigue you as well.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-10-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I've lowered the psi to 20 psi in the front (label for the 600 says 25 psi in the front). Regarding alignment, it seems to track straight and true at lower speeds.
    Please, if you are still running OE spec Kendas on your Spyder or Ryker, it is very likely that they pretty much NEED the (higher) pressures as printed on their tire placards in order for them to remain safe!!

While we know that the Spyder spec Kendas are made with lighter materials than most other similar sized car tires and they have lower load ratings than similar sized car tires, plus we know the OE spec Kenda tires made for the Spyders come to us via a manufacturing process with questionable quality control, the jury is still out on the Ryker spec Kendas wrt all that! This is probably simply because no-one has really done a heap of miles on them and there are few if any reports on how the Ryker spec Kendas really work under the various Rykers. So please, at least at this stage, don't go deviating too much from the manufacturer's pressure recommendations for the OE Spec Ryker tires, as they may very well NEED those pressures to work safely!

Once we've seen the data & info from more Rykers with 5 figure milage under their OE Spec Kenda tires, it may be possible to develop some 'fine tuning' of the manufacturer's recommended tire pressures, but until people actually do the miles & provide the reports etc, it really isn't a safe thing to make cold starting pressure changes of much more than a couple of psi up or down! Anything more than that may be risking tire failure, especially if you are ryding at speed, spinning your tires much, or ryding on unsealed roads!

But for now & until we've seen those reports on tire behaviour, wear, quality control, etc for the OE Spec Kendas that come fitted to Rykers, it's only when you are running a/market car tires with heavier load ratings that are made for much heavier vehicles being run on these significantly lighter vehicles like our Spyders and Rykers that you can safely vary your cold starting tire pressures! In the meantime, play it safe & stick reasonably close to the manufacturer's recommended cold start pressures - after all, it is the manufacturers 'educated best guess' as to which pressure will suit most of their 'target market ryders' in their marketing department driven forecast of expected ryding conditions & circumstances etc....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 'Death Grip' only makes things worse, regardless of any issues with suspension or steering (as mentioned) and will fatigue you as well.
    BajaRon, Will your Swaybar help with stability?

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, Will your Swaybar help with stability?
    Absolutely! And I apologize for taking so long to get the Ryker bar out. There are always a few minor issues when going from the prototype to the production phase. There seems to always be some small factor that has been overlooked. But everything is ready to go now. We had the Ryker bar kits available for install at Lamonster Garage during Spyderfest. But we didn't see any Rykers, other than the ones owned by SpyderPops and Lamonster.

I am happy to say that not only does the Ryker bar look awesome. But it works better than the BRP upgrade bar as well. I am going to offer a discount for the 1st 3 Ryker bars purchased because I want to get them on customer's Rykers and get feedback as soon as I can. I just need to get the install instructions finished. They are almost done and I will be working on them again today. I expect to have the retail bar kits ready early next week.

Thank you for hanging in there. I think the wait will be worth getting the finished product.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Absolutely! And I apologize for taking so long to get the Ryker bar out. There are always a few minor issues when going from the prototype to the production phase. There seems to always be some small factor that has been overlooked. But everything is ready to go now. We had the Ryker bar kits available for install at Lamonster Garage during Spyderfest. But we didn't see any Rykers, other than the ones owned by SpyderPops and Lamonster.

I am happy to say that not only does the Ryker bar look awesome. But it works better than the BRP upgrade bar as well. I am going to offer a discount for the 1st 3 Ryker bars purchased because I want to get them on customer's Rykers and get feedback as soon as I can. I just need to get the install instructions finished. They are almost done and I will be working on them again today. I expect to have the retail bar kits ready early next week.

Thank you for hanging in there. I think the wait will be worth getting the finished product.
    Where do we purchase them? What is the retail price? What's the discount for the first 3?

Spyder Garage

Put me in on the 1st 3.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KID Ryker View Post
    Put me in on the 1st 3.
    Me too

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where do we purchase them? What is the retail price? What's the discount for the first 3?
    Right here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rs-amp-Helmets
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I'll be ordering one soon; hopefully its not too hard to install.